X2 amd's with ddr2? does it work?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by keef247, 28 Sep 2006.

1. keef247

keef247 Modder

as name states?i think i might be going for the x2 route but i'm still considering my options... so i'm thinking why spend loads on new ddr if i could run ddr2 inside it and atleast it would be a wasted cash investment as i could use it in another system in the future if i choose instead of having obsolete ddr...
    so what ddr2 can i use in my Asus A8N Sli Premium when i purchase it next friday? what will be nice to overclock and run games and lots of dual core whore tasks? how much and from where in the uk please?
    cheers.

2. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

Errrm, the Asus A8N Sli Premium is a socket 939 board and only takes DDR! You need a socket AM2 board and processor (AM2 X2 chips are more readily available than 939 X2s) to use DDR2. However if you're getting a new board, chip and ram then you may want to consider going core duo as these are much faster than the X2's.

3. keef247

keef247 Modder

yeah thats what I'm thinking as was working it out.bout 50/60quid more for core2duo.just have to WAIT 5weeks to have the cash!:mad: GRRRR! blantently when I do it will be out of stock or I wont be able to buy the GTO I found.think I'll sell my parts in this soon and get em gone and sorted.

4. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

The A8N-SLI is a very good board, i have one, but its time for me to upgrade, i would surgest you go Core 2 Duo, in either Allendale (E6300 or E6400) or Conroe (E6600, E6700 or E6800 Extreme), These all use DDR2 RAM, and as the Intel thread surgests, Quad Core will run on the same board, with a Bios Update :D So your getting a good CPU while making it Future proof.

Asus P5N SLI SE is a DDR2 800MHZ board with Core 2 Duo compatibilty, and i would think also Kentsfield Compatibilty.

Hope this helps, :D
    Sam

5. Austin

Austin Minimodder

:thumb: 7900GTO are available from www.dabs.com, www.overclockers.co.uk and AFAIK www.scan.co.uk (soon?). So they should be around for a little while yet. As said if you're unable/willing to re-use existing DDR(1) and aren't currently using 939 then C2D is the way to go. Perf is superb, if SLI and longevity are your primary concerns there is some room for AM2. The only real drawback to C2D is the relatively poor nForce5 570 chipset for SLI, but that's due for an update very soon (590 for Intel?). Finally DDR3 is planned for next year and is projected to be THE dominant memory standard by 2008, so DDR2 may be just as obsolete as DDR(1)!

6. Fibbles

Fibbles What's a Dremel?

Wierd!

Last month I upgraded my x1800XL to a 512mb 7900GT. It's clocked at 580/1500 and looks identical to a 7950GT. In my system properties, it's identified as a 7900GTO. It looks nothing like the GTO at Overclockers UK though :confused: . That one is running at 650/1320, so my core is slower and my RAM is faster.

I thought the GTO was a mistake or something, hrmm :) I've been apprehensive about overclocking due to the problems that other 7900GT's were having, but it passes the 3D Mark Deep Freeze test fine and has been thriving for over a month with excessive use (it's an eVGA reload too).

About DDR2, I've got two gigs of DDR2 667 running at 3-3-3-8 on an ASUS P5N SLI. It's a temp solution until the next chipset revisions come out. I'd take a Core 2 Duo over any AMD CPU if buying new (I upgraded from a 3700+ on an Abit NF4 Ultra with 2 gigs of DDR400). Mines an E6700 (I had to have 2.6ghz :clap: )