1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Zune gets dated, priced, snapped

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 2 Oct 2006.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

3. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

I think the thing that they are trying to entice users with is definatley the larger screen and just hoping that they won't notice the larger player itself :p

4. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

Do`s anyone know how the "wheel" on the Zune done work? I f its rotary like the iPod i am afraid the size of the wheel is gone srew it up! Its much smaller then the ipod`s and my thumb wouldnt work on it.

On the size/weight ratio: I like my ipod, couse it give`s me a good feeling! It feels like it is solid build. If the Zune is bigger and weights less it could give a cheap feeling about the build quality.

just my 0.02€

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Now Ive seen it compared to the ipod it looks like a brick tbh.

6. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

^Cosign!
    I happly keep my sleek looking 30gig ipod thankyous.

7. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

To say the 80Gb iPod is 'much thicker' than the 30Gb version is slightly over-the-top, it's only 3mm thicker!

8. bubsterboo

bubsterboo What's a Dremel?

The ipod isent very thick to begin with... so 3mm makes a huge difference compaired to what it already is.

9. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Agreed.

BTW try iespell

10. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

Fair point.

11. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

Still the extra size isnt really an issue for me. Ive been carrying around my mrobe for over a year in my pocket and its pretty big. I could never see myself owning an ipod, now im not saying that because i hate apple, I want a MBP really bad :D . I only say this because in imo the ipod is crap, crappy battery times, the fact that itunes is the only way to get the music onto it (yes i know there are alternitives but they dont work very well in my experiances). The zune sofar is an player im very much considering buying. Its got a great screen (so what if you have to turn it sideways to watch a movie) and that built in wifi is one of the best ideas ever. Now all my friends want zunes just to share music back and forth. Now as for getting music on to it I hope theres another way other than crappy windows media player. I might just have to write a batch scrip that does it like i did for my mrobe. All and all the zune is the first mainstream player ill consider buying (no one in america knows what an mrobe is :D )

12. RTT

RTT #parp

I'd not yet seen a pic of a Zune next to an iPod... that thing is BIG!

13. [Tom]

[Tom] Minimodder

It may be 'big'....but it looks so spangly!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. EK-MDi

EK-MDi What's a Dremel?

I'm reading all of your posts here, and your thoughts on it, Will Harris, and I'm noticing that you are all only thinking about hard disk size. You seriously think that the only intended advantage of the Zune is its bigger screen? Did you even do your research before you wrote this news article, Will? :wallbash:
    If you did, I'm sure your views on it would be quite different. Well allow me to tell you what the big selling point of the Zune really is...

...the Zune will have new (or for the first time ) wi-fi and communication capabilities. Think Xbox Live and gaming. Now turn your thoughts to that of other types of media, for example pictures, music, and videos. Now you're thinking of the real Zune. :)

You of all people, Bit-Tech, should know that Microsoft aren't a hardware company. So you should have at least challenged yourself to think what it will feature from the software side of things.

15. TheColdLord

TheColdLord What's a Dremel?

The price is a little burner in my pocket...not thinking I'll buy one soon...I'm sticking to my w800 walkman phone(+1024MB MemStick). About the size, well I do not mind it at all.Size has never been an issue for me. If it sounds good, and playes many movie types then that is all I need.

16. Rd52

Rd52 Minimodder

the wifi is extremely crippled, its only used to transfer songs to other zunes wich the zune wraps in DRM so theyre only playable for 3 days or 3 times whichever comes first http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/02/zune-wireless-worthless-for-now/

Last edited: 2 Oct 2006
  17. EK-MDi

EK-MDi What's a Dremel?

It's not just about sending songs. You can share other types of media, too. And it's not about sending and receiving stuff either, as it will have other wi-fi capabilities.

18. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Meh, email, IM, etcetc which are far more popular and universal mediums rather than two people with Zunes.

19. varig

varig What's a Dremel?

WiFI

I think Apple is coming out with their new 6th generation iPod soon and from what I hear it will have WiFi and larger screen with touch screen controls..
    You will be able to see on 4:3 format or 16:9 when used sideways.

As for the Zune I think it is a very big, bulky and ugly device.

And I am not sure WiFi will make the Zune any better.....
    How long will it take for a song transfer ?
    If I have songs in high qualty 192 - 320 bits and it is around 6 - 9 MB, how long will it take ? A few seconds, few minutes, 15 or more minutes ??
    And when transfering will it be a stable conection..?

I think I would never wait more then 2 minutes for a song transfer especialy in a classroom or outside of my house...Dosent make any sense to mee.

Besides that I would only have this song for 3 days ....But I am sure by that time someone will come up with a crack..

My iPod is like my dog it always works and is always there for me..That is the way Apple does there business with every component. they make.

Microsoft and Windows are both crashing and virus filled worlds.....Not one that I will joinf for sure

Last edited: 2 Oct 2006
  20. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

its.... bigger.... and i hope better...... but it will not sell as well as ipod, ipod is an icon for fashion.

and EK-MDi i know you love MS but please think that the amazing wireless conection will be copied by apple and because it only sends drm'ed music some (read many) people will say "f*** no".

Tags: Add Tags