Project: MCH.1.3, 26 September - Defunct

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by curme, 14 Sep 2006.

1. curme

curme Minimodder

The last time I tried a pc mod was a great idea I had for a pc that looked like a dirty bomb, then G-gnome blew everyone away with his WMD. His skill made my attempt look terrible, so I waited for my next inspiration.

I had this idea in my head for a long while, events in my life motivated me to bring it to fruition. First off, I live on a small US Navy base, on a British island, in the middle of the Indian Ocean, so my resources are pretty much non-existent. If I need a screw, I need to find it online, and wait a couple of weeks for delivery. So this project may be slow going. Also I work 12-hours a day, so I don't have the time I would wish to devote to this mod. Anywho:

[​IMG]

I figure the Japanese are at the forefront on the whole android thing, hence so why not the Japanese Space Agency (JAXA). I needed some sort of theme to tie it all together.

As I said, I had this idea in my head for a while, but there is a 3-d artist, Andygraph who's renderings kind of capture what I was thinking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got the parts from E-bay, of course. I mean, where else are you going to get a head and a torso?

[​IMG]

I bought two mannequins, one black and white. The black one would have holes to give me access to add parts, the white would cover it up.

[​IMG]

Here I plane to get an external water cooling system, probably the Zalman Resverator 2, it came out this month, but it seems that the option to cooling the northbridge is coming out later. The two quick release couplings will go here.

[​IMG]

Bulgin Vandal Resistant buttons, a pc modding favorite, will go by the collar bone.

[​IMG]

The DVD drive will be stealthed by masking it as a data plate, well, that's the plan anyway.

[​IMG]

Hard drives in the thighs.

[​IMG]

The PSU on the back, with the cables going through grommets to the inside. I bought the KINGWIN ABT-600MA1W because the cables looked so cool, and save me from doing it myself (not everyone is ZapWizard!). My motherboard I/O plate will be on the lower back, roughly where that place-holder is.

[​IMG]

I don't like the clear window, so I am going to put some tint on it. Maybe make some hidden lettering, like the watermark in pc modding, the 'Macro Black'.

[​IMG]

My eVGA 131-K8-NF44-AX with a Geforce 7900GT. I'll make it fit.

[​IMG]

I've got boob-room.

[​IMG]

A female torso is small, so it's a pain. And I don't know what to do with the arms, any ideas? And I need latches. I was going to keep the white part on with velcro, but I need some cool quick-release latches. Anyone know where I could find some?

Of course I am going to paint it pretty, Turtle Wax it, throw-on some fancy decals. Put some black trim around the edges of the white part (but it's really hard to find some edge trim online!). Hopefully it will look as nice as the vision in my head!

Last edited: 7 Oct 2006
  2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

The arms could be used as CD/DVD racks, use some kinda rack pin system.

3. curme

curme Minimodder

I bought this Terminator head to be the back of, well, the head.

[​IMG]

But this wasn't like an airplane model kit, it was like one big piece of plastic! I had to whittle it down.

[​IMG]

Just cutting away the big parts before I use the scalpel extension for my dremmel.

[​IMG]

My weekend is over, but hopefully at work I can grab some glue to put that Termonator head together, to see how it will fit with the face.

The head is a lot thicker than the body, I'll have to find some trim for that. :(

4. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

5. itsjustacompaq

itsjustacompaq Minimodder

i know its just starting out, but i like this one much better than GoTall's "case." dont get me wrong, his is pretty badass, im just not into the whole rotting cyborg flesh thing. the modern, elegant design is very classy and much cooler in my opinion.

6. SIMSY

SIMSY What's a Dremel?

this is so amazing.
    its obvious you thought of this for a long time.
    I am dedicated to watching how this comes along.
    good luck.

how do u plan to have it setup?
    you could make a stand to keep it upright at your desk

7. Nikko

Nikko What's a Dremel?

Go in my bookmarks bar :) I will be immpress to see the final result...

8. curme

curme Minimodder

[​IMG]

I added some window tint to the clear window of the PSU, so you can only see the inside when it is turned on, and I may add some decal for the same effect, inspired by the 'Macro Black'.

[​IMG]

Here is the head coming together.

[​IMG]

The head was to thick for the window trim I want to put on, so I had to dremmel it down.

[​IMG]

My window trim came in the mail! I can't use vinyl dye, because I can't get it shipped to where I live (aerosol cans on airplanes are a no-go) so I had to use enamel. This is just a first coat. I have to sand things down as best as I can, then apply some more coats. I have to squeeze this during the downtime of my job, where the paint is (I live in military barracks, although I am not in the military, I'm a contractor).

[​IMG]

Here's a side view of how the pieces will come together.

[​IMG]

In those spaces in the skull, I will get a LED kit, similar to the one above, each one different, and replace the LED's with blue ones, to be on when the power is. They will just be LED's in a random sequence. I could of used that for hard drive activity, but I thought that a sporadic light would be annoying, and something with a timed pattern would be more soothing.

[​IMG]

I had to cut off the Terminator's nose to get it to fit into the face, but to my surprise and delight, it fit like glove.

[​IMG]

Here is an old cd drive I used as a template.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The plan is to cut the white pieces into a sort of bikini that will hide all of the huge holes in the black part. Paint it all so it looks uniform, use some Turtle Wax to protect and fill the small holes in the mannequin. For the dvd drive, I'll have something to stealth it.

In the bottom of the legs, I want to put in some quiet 80mm fans to suck air up to cool my hard drives and bits (the PSU will be my exhaust) I just need to figure out what to use for little leg stands that will lift up the model enough for airflow.

And I still need to find some cool latches, like the kind you find on ski boots or something, to connect to the white pieces over the black form. I don't think Velcro will do the trick, because my PSU will be connected to the white outer part, and it's pretty heavy.

I really want to get this done soon! It's just hard to find the time and supplies. I can't wait to build the fastest pc I've ever owned, but also to shut-up the guys at work, and in the island mail room.

Try describing why you keep getting female parts in the mail! :blush:

[​IMG]

This is where I live, on a British Island, on a US Navy base. So you can understand why this project may be slow going, or not as polished as it could be. I'm limited in tools and supplies. But it's my first major mod, so it's a learning experience and hopefully it'll turn out ok!

9. hujambo_Bwana

hujambo_Bwana What's a Dremel?

I know how you feel, It's hard to get stuff done on a base. Good luck with it and it's looking good.

Jimbo

10. zero700

zero700 What's a Dremel?

Pretty impresive, gw & waiting for more ;) Anyway, I think, that WC will be more spectacular. You can put hoses outside the manequin so they'll looks like veins or something like that.

greetz

11. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Looking good...

...but you should definitely install a slot-loading dvd drive in the a**crack :hehe: That would be sweet!

Keep it up.

Janne

12. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Slot loaded driver on a bit different crack would've also been sweet ;)

13. curme

curme Minimodder

LOL I've had lot's of suggestions like that, LED's on the nipples, that sort of thing. But you see, I'm single. So when females come to call, I don't want something that will scare them away or think I'm a weirdo! So I'm trying to go for a more understated, elegant, motif. Something to compliment my room, be functional, but also be a tasteful conversation piece.

I'm just a guy modding pc parts into a female form. Perfectly normal! :duh:

On a side note, I always had a disdain for modders who just took small form mobos and stuck them into random objects. It seemed too easy and almost like a cheat. That was until I actually tried it! :jawdrop:

The next time I see something like a bidet pc mod, I'll have a new found respect.

14. Jipa

Yeah well I'm single too and so desparate I don't really believe my chances with women are effected by way or another via my computer case :lol: Just kiddin'. I wouldn't possibly make a mannequin-case in the first place but if I ever did, I'd definitely stick to the Elegant like you do.

Good luck with this one, I'll watching!

15. curme

curme Minimodder

Spot on Jipa! :D

And thanks for the support! :dremel:

16. curme

curme Minimodder

I'm giving up! I tried enamel paint for the face, but it was rubbish. I need vinyl dye, but it's impossible to get it here on the island (flammable materials can't come by air through the post). I supposed I could have my Mom or Dad mail a can to me, and mis-label the customs form, but I really don't want to put my parents in that position.

I talked to the island HAZMAT liaison, but she said unless the UK or the US government order a crapload, I can't get a can or case of vinyl dye.

So I decided to go with that Lian Li Anniversary model for my new pc.

I saved all of the parts from my project, hopefully my next job will allow me the opportunity to order the proper parts for the job.

17. Jipa

Aww that sucks :( There sure is some cons in living on a Island in the middle of nothing... Even how tropical it is. (it's +2c and raining here in Rovaniemi, Finland, Arctic circle)

18. SIMSY

SIMSY What's a Dremel?

got a dremel and not allowed to get can of dye.
    that truely sucks.

19. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

I can send you a can of vinyl die and call it non-flammable compressed gas.

20. itsjustacompaq

itsjustacompaq Minimodder

i dont know why i didnt think of this before! i am on a racing team and think about cars all the time. for the quick disconnects you could use dzus clips. they are low profile, easy to mount, and work just about anywhere. here is a website with lots of different styles
    link

also, for the arms, you could have the watercooling lines come in and out (one side flowing, the other side flowing out) and mount the watercooling equipment externally like you said. you could rig up a very elegant, basic stand so that the android appears to be floating and connected to a central "brain" i can make up some pics in paint if you would like me to.