Cooling Apogee or Nexxxos XP?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KayinBlack, 23 Oct 2006.

1. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Well, lemme qualify this statement...

If you were running a loop that consisted of a BIP (1x120), DDC-1, and an Alphacool Cape POM reservoir, and you were cooling a 3500+ AM2 at 2.7 currently, what would you choose? I'm running 3/8" tubing, as it's the max I can fit in this space. (If we were playing "is it bigger than a breadbox," you'd lose.) With those items in the loop (non-modified DDC BTW) what would you pick?

2. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

NExxos since the apogee stocks 1/2" plugs and not sure how it would do on a reduced water flow. But you know they are both excellent blocks.

3. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Apogee also includes 3/8" barbs, clamps.

The only thing to wonder is if the DDC can provide enough head to flush the water through the jets of the Nexxxos. If it can, (and should), then that block should provide better cooling, as it focuses on the die. The Apogee just relies on a plate of cross-hatched fins, so it'd be good for TECs and the like...

4. Fibbles

Fibbles What's a Dremel?

Why would it not be able to? I've used an XP with an Eheim 1046 and got good cooling results, but I did have a double 120mm radiator.

5. KayinBlack

One day I may update the top of it, but ATM I'm keeping the stock top.

I'm still tending toward the Apogee, as it lets me toss the gay yellow retention bracket on this board... but at least I know I have choices.

I considered a Storm, but in this configuration, I'm not sure it would perform.

6. Darv

Darv Bling!!

I would go for a NexXxos XP, but then again I have one so I probably would say that.

If you're worried about the mounting scheme, it can use eother the socket clips, or it can be bolted to the motherboard. I removed the socket cliips and bolt mounted mine. :thumb:

7. KayinBlack

If you've got pics, I'd love to see that.

This is going on AM2, BTW, is that possible for them yet?

8. Darv

Darv Bling!!

Linkey

There's a couple of pictures near the end of this thread, not easy to see but it looks really cool and shows off the (gold plated :D ) block really well.

My mount is for S939 but fits 754 and 940 aswell. Not sure of the AM2 specs but if it's the same then it will fit fine. It's made by Alphacool btw.

9. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Apogee.....
    DD TDX....

Both great blocks.

or you could get an aquaextreme, but their a bit costly...

10. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

Ya forgot they had thread in type so you could use any barb coolio.

11. KayinBlack

Well, the TDX may want more pressure than I can provide it with the MCP-350 (DDC-1) and so I've relegated it to the "maybe" category. Also, like the Storm, its cooling performace falls off at 3/8" tubing.

I don't know about the AquaXtreme, except that it's higly regarded, and for sale at Petra's, which would make me have to add yet another place to my list.

I can splash for a Storm if I want to, I'm looking for the best performance with my setup. A G5 would work great-with 1/2" tubing and a freaking Iwaki. I have to use what I can physically fit. Look at it that way...

12. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

I haven't seen any Storms with AM2 mounts yet... The Apogees come with an AM2 mount plate, but the Storms are still the older 478/754/775/939 setup.

13. KayinBlack

It's out, it's like 5.99 for the mount.

If it works, I'm tempted to knock some junk off just to get a Storm...

14. macker

macker What's a Dremel?

About the mounting, I thought there were two versions of the XP's? The "lights" that use the motherboards brackets and bolt mounted versions(Bold and Pro).

15. cannon

cannon What's a Dremel?

anyone seen or have any pics of the apogee on the AM2?
    want to confirm how it mounts.

16. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

You take off the stock retention bracket and back plate, and then run four bolts through the holes in the motherboard. A nylon washer and a nut on each hold them in place, and then the Apogee slides onto those. The usual washer-spring-nut stack goes on each bolt on top of that.

You need access to the back of the motherboard to put one on. It's really the best to do it outside the case.

17. KayinBlack

There's a new version of the bold with AM2 support. That's on the list to be ordered next week.

Tags: