1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This brain doesn't stop here anymore

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 22 Oct 2004.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. LordFeaR

LordFeaR What's a Dremel?

I should join the irc chan to see if I can understand Bigz ;)

3. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

Don't worry timbo we still wuv you

4. Hephaistus

Hephaistus What's a Dremel?

i totally agree with you statement here. and about the part "fThey'll probably end up helping me some time soon..."

i hope not to often, but it could come in helpfull sometime indeed.
    Actually a friend helpt me the other day with some problems, he had read about them already on a forum......

/me getting worried

5. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

BigZ, you were so techy, penski, KNA, MrsKNA, & myself had to amuse ourselves by watching Penski setting fire to his crotchual area.

6. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

You know, I think there was a time when bigz used to understand what he was talking about too... :p ;)

Great article. :thumb:

7. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

A disturbing article :eeek: But, very well written. I think that our reason for complacensy isnt the fact that we are just getting older, and therefor, uninterested. I think its because this generation of computer technology is out of hand. PCI Express, PCI x16, AGP, PCI, DDR, DDR II, memory frequency, CAS latency, CPU core, CPU core clock, Front side Bus, Megahertz, Gigahertz, megabytes, terabytes, gigabytes, kilobytes, kilobits, kilobods, bods, CRT, LCD, response time, Revolutions per minute, data density, PS/2, USB, VGA, DVI, SSE, SSE 2, SSE 3, AMD64, IAMD 64, AMD, Intel, ATI, Nvidia, Epox, Foxconn, Asus, DFI, Overclocking, etc, etc etc... All of these things and then some. Its become a daunting task to keep up with current trends. The growing complications of the computer industry and the inundation of knowledge is causing us to get to the point where we just want to say "sod off" to the newest GPU frequency or Processor from Via or AMD or Intel. The computer industry has gotten excessively complex. How can we help but get frustrated when everything we spent so much time trying to learn is replaced as soon as we get a handle on things?

8. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

:hehe:

The amount of information you need to know to keep on the bleeding edge of technology is getting scary - it's a full-time job. While I've been happily keeping in touch with graphics technology (thanks in part to a certain bigz :D) I've just realised that by doing so I've failed to keep up with A64 overclocking - when I upgrade it'll be virgin territory for me, playing with LDT multipliers and HTT is all baffling at the moment, and no doubt as soon as I start with all that mumbo-jumbo I'll forget the difference between AA and AF. Such is life...:sigh:

Great article ;)

9. Tim S

Tim S OG

3D graphics is enough on its own - it's certainly the most complex (and IMHO, interesting) part of today's computers, simply because there's so much grey area between what is right and what is wrong in this day and age :)

Nevermind motherboards, chipsets, processors, oh, and memory - they're not quite so grey :)

10. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

It's where the rate of new technologies being put out exceeds our ability to assimilate/comprehend them. At the moment it seems new stuff comes out just as we get a handle on the current stuff. As scentific/technology advances accelerate though, we will get to a point where some new technology is introduced before we have fully understood the current technology. It's getting crazy. Maybe there will be a global backlash (a worldwide "sod off" as Roto put it) against things?

Then again, maybe we'll just get left behind by our kids just as every generation before us?

11. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

'...obtain software...'

hmmmm

12. Risky

Risky Modder

Yeah, it might seem fun to build a PC for someone, but the lifetime 24-hr phone support can be a bit much. (I'm going to have to upgrade my parent's computer because I can hardly remember how Windows 98 works any more and its too hard to guess what to do without seeing the screen.)

13. Skutbag

Skutbag What's a Dremel?

Good article; no one stays on top forever. And if they do, then they're just weird.

14. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

I was away since before the article was published, and have been wondering what it'd be about.
    And now I'm back, and happy to learn I'm not the only one who feels like this.

Then again, I never kept up with the graphics cards cos I could never afford anything special.

15. coolmiester

coolmiester Coolermaster Legend

Phew..........on one hand its comforting to know i'm not the only one struggling to keep abreast of all the latest hardware

but its also a worrying thought that this is just the start of that slippery slidey slope leading me to numbtyville one day......presumably sooner rather than later

I've already had to bite the bullet and PM bigz last week to help me out on a new project (thanks bigz) which wasn't easy but knowing that nobody else understands him is quite reassuring LOL......i've struggled for ages but didn't want to show my ignorance :blush: and was hoping i could maybe pick out the name or two of some components from all the jargon without him noticing :worried: as it happens though it was pretty painless!

I figure its good to keep up to speed on at least one area then hopefully find someone else (like bigz) who's top of his game at present on the latest eye candy offerings when the need arises otherwise there aren't enough hours in the day to keep up....and have a life

Brilliant article Kna :thumb: (or rather it is now realizing so many others are in the same boat :D )

16. zmodder

zmodder What's a Dremel?

i know who ur talkin about..

yea iam that guy in my family just last week an only highschool friend asked me to fix her laptop (and i did for free), i've always loved technology and thought about takin some computer science or somethin having to do with computers as my major at uni, but then i realized that iam gonna have a hard time keeping up with the newer tech and alot of computer fields have an early retirement avg, therefore i just went into business. I will always love tech and hopefully will be the tech guy for a few more yrs to come but as a career i dun think i can go with it.

(long time since i posted)

17. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

j0o n00b ;)

I find that, if there's something someone's brought up that confuses me (which atm, is 'which speed/fsb memory do I pair with which cpu?') it takes a quick search and the information's there. This adds to complacency, because the internet is always there, always on, always accessible and therefore we don't retain the information in our little heads. We just remember keywords we can tap into the search engine of the moment and bigno, away we go..

18. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

HOLY THREAD REVIVAL!!!

19. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

Same here... if they absolutely have no clue what so ever as to where to start, but are willing to learn, ill help, but im done with helping friends friends and so on... Most of the guys i know do have a basic idea regarding computers... It's just that they do stuff differently, f.x. some of them are hardcore Cad users but if the OS or hardware breaks down, they are stuck... ill teach them because they want to know how to...

and yea, lets not do the whole "Holy thread revival", it is actually ever present more and more each day as the market is flodded with stuff you would need at least half a lifetime to understand, and still be behind... :)

Tags: Add Tags