Cooling mixing metals

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by M4RTIN, 8 Nov 2006.

1. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

what are people thoughts on mixing Cu and Al in a water cooling setup. i never really thhought about it much, however the thermaltake radiator i am getting off here has (according to google) got an aluminium core, so will i need Al water blocks, or can i get away with Cu. if mixing is bad what aluminium blocks can people recommend

2. Computer Gremlin

Computer Gremlin What's a Dremel?

Mixing copper and aluminum together without a water additive to prevent corrosion will turn your water green. Over time the seals on your water blocks will fail. Using brass fittings with aluminum is also not recommended.

Zalman and Aqua Computer make excellent aluminum water blocks if you cannot use copper. Both companies gold plate copper blocks to prevent corrosion with aluminum. For fittings look for stainless steel and nylon. Nickel plated stainless steel fittings are more expensive and impervious to corrosion.

Galvanic Corrosion Guide: http://www.metal-mart.com/Guides/Galvanic.htm

3. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

Most aluminum is anodized which isn't a proplem but if it isn't then there is a problem. I would just go with a different rad. one with copper core.

4. Fibbles

Fibbles What's a Dremel?

Aqua Computer doesn't gold plate their copper. They simply anodize the aluminum and provide an additive. Innovatek nickle plates some of their copper, but anodizes all of their aluminium.

I've run mixed setups before with 0 problems. The last setup consisited of an anodized aluminium Innovatek video card block and a copper Alphacool NexXxos XP Light with a few drops of Aqua Computer's additive.

The only concern would be if the aluminium is not anodized, then it would be bad.

5. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

im not sure my orignal post matters or not now lol, ive just got the rad and as its used some paint is chipped of the fins and it appears they are copper not aluminium. so i may have been worried over nothing. unless the bit behind the fins is aluminium or not.. who knows lol

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

The fear about mixing metals is largely based on myth. Put in an additive, as you should in any case, and you'll be fine.

7. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

Well after this misshap I wont be mixing in metals anymore. I cant wait to get the polarflo wb I have replaced with a apoge or storm.

Any case here is my result.
    [​IMG]

8. Marci

Marci Ex-O-CuK / ThermoChill

The fins are copper. The rest of the rad (core tubes etc) are aluminium and in contact with your coolant.

9. hujambo_Bwana

hujambo_Bwana What's a Dremel?

Put some Ethylene glycol (car antifreeze) in with the water, this will usually stop and galvanic corrosion problems and the car antifreeze cantains stuff that stops marine growth (gunge) and corrosion because car cooling systems often contain mixed metals in their loop.

Jimbo

10. jaguarking11

I was using additive as well and after 12 months thats how my block looked like.

I'm sure some will be able to get away with ought problems however if the problem can be avoided then do so. Oslo from what ive seen TT uses condenser type rads witch kill flow. Your probably better off replacing it with a cheep swiftech unit.

11. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

jaguarking11, dude, what have you got going through your loop? Sand? :p

12. jaguarking11

Unfortunetly WW, well at least in the past. Now its swiftech hydrx.

Tags: