Modding Question about clearcoating Alu

Discussion in 'Modding' started by shaq, 10 Nov 2006.

1. shaq

shaq What's a Dremel?

Hi, I've been reading the guide in this forum about polishing alu, and it mentions the need to 'clearcoat' after polishing. I understand the concept but where would I get this clearcoat from? An brand name I should look for (available in the UK?)

Thanks!

2. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

"Clearcoat" refers to any clear paint, and is used to protect the paint or other finish underneath. Personally, I'd recommend Krylon brand, but I'm not sure about availability in the UK. I'd look in auto parts stores, home improvement places, and even someplace like WalMart (Asda, if I'm not mistaken). All these places should carry the stuff.

3. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

There's also Dupli-Color automotive spray paint.

There are alternatives. You can polish it up, buff it up, glaze it up, and then wax it up. I'm slightly concerned about how the clear coat will adhere to polished aluminum.

4. ShaqArif

ShaqArif What's a Dremel?

5. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm talking about. However, I admit Stuey raises a valid point. Polished aluminum isn't the best base for painting, and you might be better off with another approach. If you paint polished aluminum, the paint will all peel off in a matter of days.

A better solution is to wax the aluminum. Ordinary automotive wax should work just fine. Waxing won't protect against scratching, so you'll have to be careful with it, but waxing will keep the surface shiny and prevent it from oxidizing and turning hazy. You'll also need to rewax every few months.

6. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

If you really want to get a spray can, there's GOT to be a better source than that. That price is almost $11 USD whereas a it should cost mo more than about a quarter of that.