Cooling flow meters

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Burnout21, 4 Dec 2006.

1. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

ok here is the deal, i dont have the dosh for a fancey AquaComputer Aquaero display or any other brand of display.

i have heard that some people have hooked up the AquaComputer Aquaero - Flow Sensor to a MB fan header to read the RPM.

has anyone got info on this?

Thank you!

2. Boswell

Boswell Minimodder

If you don't get a reply here... sign up on http://www.aqua-computer.de 's forum and ask there. I have a feeling this won't work.. I think you have to have a program to work out actually how many liters/hr your system is producing (or use what data you get from it and find a formula to work out the l/hr or l/min). Because you might get (completly an example here...) a reading of 2000 rpm in speedfan...then what? Ask on ac's forum is the best bet.
    Ed

3. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

I would personnaly recommend a inudstrial flow meter as they are more acurate and can be calibrated as well as they provide a better flow bath most esp. ac's flow meter is terribly restrictive.

4. LVMike

LVMike What's a Dremel?

in my view ... flow meters tend to be very overated. your better off with a pump that has a pwm jack on it... that way you have no resrections and you can plug that into your Aquacomputer to alert you to pump failure and the like.

5. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Couldn't you just get a physical flow meter? As in when water is flowing the wheel starts spinning?

6. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

That's what the Auqua comp one is. The gold standard is Nexxo's Swissflow SF800. At one point there was a group buy on them being set up, but I never heard what happened with that.

7. Risky

Risky Modder

The group buy finished a while back ( I have two :) ). There are other high-end meters about I seen in various posts.

8. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

The reason i want an electronic flow meter it security of the system. i dont care if it reads in RPM as a drop in RPM would tell me there something funny going on. I am not after accuratance on the readings at all.

Iv found this chap

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2..._Flow_Meter_Rev_15_500751.html?tl=g30c101s457

but i cant find it in the uk to purchase it.

I simply need a cheapish electronic flow meter that 'can' be connected to a motherboard fan header so i can set the cut out function in my bios.

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

The Aqua-Computer flow meter will not hook up to a motherboard directly --the impulse frequency is too low.

Flowmeters like the SF800 will work nicely, though. However like all flow meters they have a pressure drop. You could use a pump with RPM sensor, but the problem is that this only registers pump failure, not obstruction in flow or absence of flow due to leakage (although arguably, in case of a leak that big and sudden your PC will have shorted out in a rain of sparks).

If you just want a flow/no flow sensor, you need a flow switch. Gentech makes some with 3/8" ID and 3/8" BSP thread. It makes contact during flow, and breaks it in absence of flow. I have a few lying around somewhere...

10. ShaqArif

ShaqArif What's a Dremel?

11. kbates666

kbates666 What's a Dremel?

He's looking for a flow meter not a temperature probe.

12. ShaqArif

ShaqArif What's a Dremel?

Oops! :blush:

For some reason, I thought that Thermaltake device was both a temperature probe and a flow meter, don't know why since there's nothing in the description to suggest that...

Sorry!

13. Guest-18698

Guest-18698 Guest

14. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

That is just a flow indicator. It has no electronics that will generate a signal for the motherboard.

15. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

What you can try it getting something like a northbridge or a radial fan (in gfx cards) and pumping water through it to make it spin, then trying to read the RPM.

Of course you'll have to calibrate it yourself and there's the problem of making it water resistant.

Tags: