News Apple announces iPhone

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 9 Jan 2007.

1. Nikumba

Nikumba Minimodder

I can see a lot of consumers buying this, but with in the mobile market a big slice of it is business users. We have a number of customers who use Windows Mobile as it has Word, Excel with it, intergrates fully into Exchange with out extra software (apart from exchange)

Its a nice looking phone i will grant you that, however I have misgivens about the OS, granted OSX isnt too bad as an OS go, I personally dont like it. MS, Palm, RIM have had years of experince of making lightweight OS for mobile products, it will be intresting to see how well Apples OSX has been adapted for this phone.

Kimbie

2. quack

quack Minimodder

Cisco's suing Apple over the use of the iPhone name.

Something tells me this won't even go to court, and Apple will fork over a large chunk of money to get a licence to use the name. It's just part of the song and dance of big business. :) Still funny though.

3. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

.. told you so...

4. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

:wallbash:

The good news is that in a week there will be unlocked iPhones on eBay :thumb:

5. quack

quack Minimodder

Nice to know the Cingular logo will be that prominent - when they're going to be doing away with it sometime this year. :wallbash:

6. quack

quack Minimodder

7. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Cheap Mod Wannabe What's a Dremel?

Oh man cm'on. Yes it's cool looking and I want it, but it's so impractical. I've been using a PDA for quite some years now, and even with a case, and a stylus the screen gets some scratches and dust, dirt etc.

The Iphone will suck on that. Even in the keynote you could see how when showing the "scroll" functionality in iTunes library with you finger, Steve jobs left greasy finger marks. Use it every day and damn that thing will be dirty. And you won't really be able to put it in your pocket because it will get scratched up, so you will need a case or some screen protectors.

As a phone, I think iPhone sucks. As an ipod and Wifi device it is great. Though unless I see more functionality added to it (so it could come close to my cell+pda combo), I won't be rushing to get one.

8. Nezuji

Nezuji What's a Dremel?

Ya know, if I ripped the keypad and Nokia logo off my Nokia 6233, it would look EXACTLY like this from the front.

And the most common comment I see on mobile 'phone forums when discussing the 6233 and it's Sony Ericsson equivalent (the K700i I think) is, "The 6233 is so ugly! The K700i is so much sexier!" Personally, I feel the opposite, but I'm just saying...

Nezuji :)

9. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Minimodder

I couldn't agree more with this statement. Apple is combining technologies from multiple industries and claiming they are being "revolutionary" with new, never seen before technologies. . . Quite honestly, I like having a keypad on my phone. Not having a camera hasn't bothered me either.

I think Apple has most likely made a mistake. The world of cell phones is not exactly evolving at a slow pace and I don't believe many people will need that many features on their cell phone. Overall, I believe this will turn out to be a poor web-browser (screen to small), a poor cell phone (Apple has no experience in the cell industry), a poor media player (not enough space) all cobbled together into a shiny plastic case that Steve expects people to pay $500 for. I'll pass

L J

10. Havok154

Havok154 What's a Dremel?

I like how they say we can have the "luxury of being on the Cingular network". I was on the Cingular network for many years and I always had to use my g/f's Verizon phone to make a call since I could never get any service. Now I'm on Verizon and haven't had an issue since.

11. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

This reminds me of something... oh yeah the iPod vs the Zune...

Tags: Add Tags