News Blu-ray joins HD-DVD in pile marked 'owned'

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 23 Jan 2007.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

good stuff :D
    Maybe this will keep the people who support BD copy protection quiet for a while.

3. Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove What's a Dremel?

So let me get this straight, if I was to run PowerDvd on a HD/BR drive it may render the drive dead? Great yet another reason not to even think about getting one of those things. Whats next, if I choose to watch a violent movie will the drive all of a sudden decide the movie is too violent for me and spit the disc out or just stop working?

BTW. wonder how long it will take before the companies come up with a new version of DRM where you actually can't watch/hear the movie/music you bought, all you get is a cover that you can put on your shelf....

4. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

No, it won't render the drive dead, but Cyberlink could stop you playing HD format movies using their software. Which, personally, I think is wrong - if you paid for the latest software to play your latest high def discs, they should at least refund some money.

5. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

I agree with flibblebot, they should refund you when killing it.

I'll just use WMP to play them when they become mainstream, nobody will be able to kill that, even if it is annoying to play things

6. Panos

Panos Minimodder

The best movement is NOT TO BUY Blue-Ray or HD films etc. By doing so you support them.
    Stay with normal DVDs and/or any other new protocols out there who will respect you as consumer and not as a cow.

7. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Are Cyberlink promoting piracy then. Who would buy software to watch HD films which could then stop you watching HD-Films if Cyberlink dont want you too.

Wouldnt supprise me if the Future of DRM is activating DVD's over the internet when you buy them and they then let your DVD player know the code to play the DVD and can only play it on that player used to activate it.

8. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

Anyone thinking of moving to Vista should do some reading on the DRM involved; it is quite incredible how far Microsoft have bent over backwards to accomodate the movie industry.

The software refusing to work isn't even half the problem, the video cards themselves (HDCP equipped) will actually be disabled from being able to output any signal!

Listen to Leo Laporte's Security Now! podcast, the last two episodes have been disscussing Vista DRM at great length, very interesting.

9. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

surly all cyberlink would have to do is issue a patch to their program or a free upgrade to a new version, not really that drastic.

10. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

They would never do it.

Any hardware or software manufacturer that is seen to be going against the DRM iniative would be left in a tough situation; they would in effect be going against the very OS they are installed on and Microsoft would have to curtail it's use if it wants to keep the MPAA and friends happy...

11. Breach

Breach Modding in Exile

Well that didn't take long. Why do they even try.

Looks like well be getting a whole new generation of pointless and broken DRM in high def :D

12. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

No kidding, it's insane how much DRM is packed in there. I knew there was a lot, but I was *defending* Vista for it not being as bad as people were saying, only to eat my own words.

13. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

predictable.....
    hell all DRM i know have been cracked so fast..... BRD and HD-DVD are still in the beginning, i bet the MPAA are scraching their balls right about now.... if they can....

edit: i think i am gonna get that podcast....

14. EQC

EQC What's a Dremel?

How much does DRM cost me in currency? When I buy a DRM'd CD, DVD, HD-DVD, Blu-Ray disk, copy of Vista, or hardware that supports this stuff, how much extra am I paying for it?

We've all heard the arguments saying that DRM just hurts the "good" consumers in terms of what they can do with what they buy, but I want to know exactly how much money I'm paying for the R&D and Licensing Fees for the DRM that I don't want on the things I buy. It's so lame that they keep trying, costing me more effort and money, when it's always going to be broken so quickly...

To add to my list of requests that I may have said before, I want:

1. All items with DRM built in to be labeled on the front of the package in 1/8" or bigger type. The label should be visible before I buy, and should list every capability they're attempting to deny.
    2. I also want that label to include the extra cost to me for including the DRM "features"

15. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

forgot to say: the link on the main news article does not take you here, it takes you to the root of the news forum.

16. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Im sorry im not sure what you mean. Do you mean that if you watch a HD DVD and have your pc hooked up to your TV using the VGA out then it wont work????

If thats so, then thats stupid.

17. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i advice everyone to hear the Leo Laporte's Security Now! podcast.... especially SN-073.... it is scary.... i have not heard SN-074 but it seams even more scary.

18. WarMachine

WarMachine American Swine

Now THAT's a good idea. Not as good as doing away with DRM altogether, but acceptable as I could choose not to purchase affected goods.

19. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Then after that is cracked you'll have to activate it EVERY time you want to play it. :grr: :wallbash: :wallbash:

The more this kind of stuff happens (killing people's legitimate use of legally purchased content) the more they will drive people to use less restrictive formats - currently that mostly means "piracy".

Edit: I'll 3rd EQC's idea

20. brumster

brumster What's a Dremel?

Greedy companies relying on old business models. If they were to abandon DRM and just sell us reasonably priced media in the first place they wouldnt have the 'problem' they insist they have now.
    Of course its plausibly deniable that they had already thought this through and positively encouraged piracy through pricing in order to secure more stringent controls over their IP. :worried:

Tags: Add Tags