Hardware Logitech MX Revolution Mouse

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 8 Feb 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

The only problem with that style of charge is that (on my mx1000 at least) the contacts get dirty very quickly, I've had mine for 3 years now, all the transfers have worn off but the stand gathers dust massively and it's hard to clean. I hope that the connectors are also a lot easier to clean with this one.

I'm not aiming to change my current MX1000, but I may get an MX Revolution for another system

3. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

Will there be a left-handed version? It's one of my pet-peeves when manufacturers forget about us lefty's.

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Doubt it, it's not economically viable. I know what you mean though, but as a lefty myself I still use a mouse with my right. Only one guy in our office uses a mouse with his left and both Tim and I are also lefties who mouse right handed.

Being able to mouse with your right and write with your left is massively beneficial though.

5. ArtificialHero

ArtificialHero We were just punking him sir!

Having read the review I thought I'd add my thoughts from the perspective of someone who's used it for a while. The Rev has been my main mouse since last August, and I've been continually impressed with the durability of the mouse. The battery life is still incredible, with no noticeable degradation, and the finish still looks perfect as the day I bought it - this compared to my previous MX900, on which the buttons were visibly worn after a much shorter period of time.

The free spinning scroll wheel integrated very quickly into general computer use - it really is VERY fast, and VERY accurate. With a bit of practise you can really zoom through your iTunes library or a Word document, and stop the scroll surprisingly precisely.

In a word? Fantastic. I purchased it the day it came out, as I had been looking for something like this. For this reason I paid over the odds, but I still see it as a very worthy purchase at the price I paid. I'd take one for £50 all day long, fantastic value.

Mike

Last edited: 8 Feb 2007
  6. Tyr

Tyr Minimodder

I have the same problem with my MX1000 which I've had for two years. I have to polish the contacts whenever I want to charge my mouse because they corrode or get really dirty.

I live my MX1000 because of the accuracy and all the useful buttons, although I wish the new MX or VX revolution had a 2000dpi sensor rather than the same 800dpi one found in the MX1000.

Having used a G3 mouse recently I really wanted something more sensitive when I came back to my MX1000. Especially with 1920x1200 worth of screen space and even more game space, nearly 8000 pixels for a full rotation in a 90 degree view angle game.

The only problem I have is the huge docking station charger as it is not very portable and wastes a lot of room. I'd prefer a G7 or VX style dongle and smaller charger (or AA batteries like the VX). Am sorely tempted by the VX revolution because I move about a lot and the 3 month battery life looks attractive. It also has a manual shift on the scroll wheel which might be a bit better for someone who doesn't want free spin very often. Too bad that there aren't many reviews of them out there to help me decide.

7. otispunkmeyer

otispunkmeyer What's a Dremel?

ill will be buying this, after being thoroughly impressed with my logitech G7.

i would of liked to see the hot-swappable battery packs like in the G7 on this rather than the recharge stand, i dunno why... its a minor inconvenience to change the batter every few days, but they give the mouse a nice weight.

also the G7 had a very very fast and very very reliable RF conenction to a USB RF reciever. i dunno what blu-tooth is like, but in my limited experience it seems a little more finecky.

its a shame i dont have that mouse anymore and the one thing i did miss on it (which my MX510 did have) was the forward and back buttons (it only had a back button) and im glad to see it come back.

8. Zut

Zut What's a Dremel?

OOh nice! Whats this like as a gaming mouse?

9. Tim S

Tim S OG

It's alright for average gaming, but if you're remotely serious about gaming, it's probably not going to be up to your requirements.

10. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Besides not testing it in some high action FPS online gaming. Its not for "vinger" mouse movers, but "whole hand" mouse movers. And not universal, like for lefthanded people.

I dont like it. Looks like a MS explorer mouse from 3 years back..

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

The G7 I've got here and will be reviewing soon-ish is better for gaming with selectable DPI up to 2000. It uses the same laser tech.

12. Noostroi

Noostroi What's a Dremel?

One problem I've found (tho I haven't really looked for a solution to) is that you can't re-assign what the thumb scroll wheel will do beyond the document flip/zoom options available in the logitech control panel.

I also tried to assign the search button to the middle-click function, but couldn't find a way of doing that (which would get round the heavy scroll wheel middle click issue).

I have to second ArtificialHero on his opinion on the free-spinning document scroll, it is really good. I miss it on my work's standard 3 button Dell optical mouse. :waah:

I don't think it was particularly emphasised, but the click-to-change-spin-mode functionality can be disabled, and set to change scroll-type (standard to free-spin and back) when the wheel is rotating above or below a certain (selectable) speed. You therefore get the best of both worlds - standard motion for scrolling up/down a small amount - e.g. read the next paragraph , and the free-wheel mode when you need to get to the middle/end of your 200 page dissertation / find that page in the middle of the 700 page technical document. (Atleast I find it easier than using the scroll bar)

Overall? I'd say its worth it. :)

13. XeroNXS

XeroNXS What's a Dremel?

I've been using the MX Rev for quite a while now and I've honestly never owned a better mouse.
    One thing though bugged me: The non available middle click.
    That was until I found "uberOptions".
    It not only lets you enable the middle click. You can also tweak all kinds of other options.
    http://www.mstarmetro.net/~rlowens/uberOptions/

PS: Been a bit-tech reader for quite some years now and today I finally joined the forum. :D

14. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

Is it really bluetooth? has anyone tried it with a 3rd party bluetooth dongle? I would have bought one of these months ago but I found no mention of bluetooth.

Moriquendi

15. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

Copperhead!!!! :D

16. DAE_JA_VOO

DAE_JA_VOO What's a Dremel?

I have this mouse too. It's quite nice, but the battery life is useless. I have to charge mine about every 5 days. Unacceptable. I think i'm gonna get rid of it and get myself another MX1000.

17. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

How much do you use the mouse each day?

18. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

Surely you could just put it in the cradle whilst you sleep? Then it'll charge overnight.

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Better than the G7. I have to swap the battery every 2 days. If I leave the battery in the mouse overnight it's dead by morning.

20. Duste

Duste Sierra my delta, bravo!

I thank you greatly for doing a review on the MX Revolution. I already have one, but as I said in that other thread, I was interested to know what you guys thought of it.

I've absolutely fallen in love with the mouse wheel, and I don't use middle click at all, so it makes it so much easier. Most of the time, I have it set in Free Spin, as it's still possible to have complete control, you just have to set your acceleration to a lower setting, however I do need to switch to click-to-click when I'm playing Battlefield 2 as I find even just moving the mouse whilst Free Spin is activated it causes me to switch between weapons unintentionally, which is quite the pain.

Another thing that makes the mouse wheel, set in Free Spin of course, so much better is that I can scroll through Bit-Tech work-logs so much quicker. For example, if I know I've already seen the pictures on a work-log, and I just want to see the latest replies, I'll just spin it once, it'll continuously spin and get to the bottom of the page where the latest comments are in a second or so, and I can easily stop it before hand.

Tags: Add Tags