Notebooks laptop recovery deletes partition?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lineage, 20 Feb 2007.

1. Lineage

Lineage What's a Dremel?

i just bought a laptop, it only has a 1 drive except the recovery drive. i want to create a partition from c: drive using partition magic. my question is if i use the recovery disc, will it also delete my partition?

thx

2. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

It's hard to say without knowing the specific recovery disk. The one I use wouldn't, but I've used others in the past that format the whole drive.

Best advice is to back your data up just to be sure.

3. Lineage

Lineage What's a Dremel?

ok, thx

btw, i m using dell 6400 with window vista home premium, any experience with it?

4. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Just not use the recovery disk. Use a regular XP cd with the key that's attached to your laptop, and install everything where you want it. My both laptops (Acers) had a recovery cd that would repartition, and create a 1 GB big hidden partition at the start of the drive, for "recovery" purposes...

5. Lineage

Lineage What's a Dremel?

the recovery partition in my laptop isnt hidden, its just like a normal partition, i can access it, but dont think i can modify the files

thx for that suggestion

6. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

If you use the recovery CD... it almost certainly will format any partitions you've created yourself (my recovery CD's certainly do) :wallbash:

But as Glider suggests... if you don't want to lose your new partitions... just use a standard Windows CD if/when you want/need to format the drive next ;)