Disaster HDD window mods, a how not to.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by El1m1nate, 8 Mar 2007.

1. Rage.

Rage. What's a Dremel?

im about to go n do a hdd window mod myself, ill take pics and post the details here. :D
    hopefully i wont screw it up (wish me luck)
    by3

2. Rage.

Rage. What's a Dremel?

Ok.. Ive also done my box.. I think mine may be a little better as i noticed a few slight gaps between the gloves and the side of the box when sticking however it is still good.. Heres how mine turned out..

[​IMG]
    First off i cut the holes with a dremel however it just melted out.. then i sanded it with the dremel to get rid of the big bits and finally i went onto 240grit paper and did a light run down to make it smooth.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Then i attached the gloves and HEY PRESTO! It works!
    Im goin to do the actual mod tomorow coz ive run out of time for tonight..

3. El1m1nate

El1m1nate What's a Dremel?

LOL u just copied and pasted :D from ur other post...! lol

4. El1m1nate

but ty :D hope this might bcome sticky if its good enough...

5. Rage.

Rage. What's a Dremel?

haha so what if i copied and pasted :D.. im doin it again :hehe:

anyways.. this is the harddrive i will be modding.. nothing much.. just a 2gb i found..

[​IMG]

I started off by placing all my stuff in the box and unscrewing the screws.. when unscrewed, i plied it open with a flathead screwdriver and then placed cling wrap over it.. i then started marking with a permanent marker where on the harddrive i wanted to cut I forgot to take pictures here..

[​IMG]
    This is the cut i have made.. it looks pretty clean.. its been sanded as well.. unfortunately.. i had to cut through reinforced steel.. it took a lot of time and patience and cut off discs :duh:

I then marked out where i wanted to cut on the perspex using the hdd cut for a template.. make sure you cut outside of those lines by a small distance to give space to stick it on.. (make sure theres no gaps) I then stuck on the perspex and waited an hour or so for it to dry.. (again forgetting to take pictures sorry)

I then put the top back into my clean box (after wiping it thouroghly with a damp cloth (mistake)) and i reassembled it.. unfortunately.. i noticed a single speck of dust on it.. luckily i shook it off.. :D

I then took it out of the box and looked at it.. this is the mistake i made before.. by wiping it with the damp cloth, i smeared a little bit of super glue on the underside (inside the hdd) of the hdd.. this is the resulting picture..
    [​IMG]
    Again id like to say it was just a test.. If i had really cared that i smeared some stuff on the underside of the perspex and making it look bad, i wouldve fixed it, but i just wanted it to work. =]

anyways.. I hooked it up.. turned her on and VOILA.. IT WORKS!!! I recovered the file fine and tranfered and deleted some files (for some action of the needle :D) and it is a SUCCESS..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

NOTE: I spent HOURS on this mod and at LEAST ONE HOUR of cleaning of the parts and box altogether. Be sure if you attempt this mod to have PLENTY of time and to carefully wipe EVERYTHING you put in the box.. HDD INCLUDED!
    Good Luck if u do it. :rock:

6. El1m1nate

LOL it worked!!! finaly a mod that did lolz

7. El1m1nate

maybe my servers just not reading it correctly lol...ill check that tomorow

8. Rage.

Rage. What's a Dremel?

ahh the hard drive is failing! LOL - i booted it up and the sound that the needle made.. NOONE should ever have to hear!! Ive diagnosed my problem as well.. the needle normally has a screw in it, however i havent given space for a screw to go in.. therefore the needle moves around like an idiot.. making a terrible sound. Also, somehow it interferes with booting up.. my main hdd doesnt go past windows xp loading screen when its plugged in.. if i can get in i might be able to fix it.. but anyways. i think its screwed =P It worked for a while but this morning.. dead. =]

9. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

That seems to be the story everyone tells who gets a "success" with this mod. It works for a day or two and the - kaput.

I'm not saying it wont work. It's just very hard to do properly. Perhaps a zip-lock bag instead of just cling wrap and perhaps blow it out first. Maybe rethink the window to not include the read/write head so much. Keep it up. Notority will be yours if you're the first to successfully do this.

10. DreamTheEndless

DreamTheEndless Gravity hates Bacon

I just bought my wd raptor -

It has a warning to not even apply pressure to the window and that any damage to the window violates the warranty.

I think this is best left to those who actually have a clean room.....

11. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

even the windowed raptor that was made in a factory has half the mean time to failure of the normal raptor

12. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Minimodder

Maybe HDD only work because we CANNOT see what's inside? Some kind of Magic ?
    The Mystery remains whole...

13. Arkantos

Arkantos What's a Dremel?

i just wanted to ask,

99% of the time, there are anchor screws/bolts on the cover, securing the perpendicular alignment of the head carriage and the platters.

and once the cover is opened, which involves removing of the said screws, the alignment is nullified.

did you know, that the two screws, securing the head assembly and the platter shaft are torque fitted, while the rest of them are pneumatically fitted.

and in the pics i see here, none of the mods even have an allocation to fit in the said two screws.....

i am not criticising your efforts, but rather telling that without those two crucial screws, HDD window mods WILL result in failure, within 10 operating hours.

i had visited seagate's factory in china, the previous year. they position the cover to an accuracy of +- 0.02 microns and then they screw it in.

dust is crucial, yes, but in my opinion, this alignment is crucial still more.

maybe that ought to be somehow taken into account.

just my two cents.
    thanx for reading.

Ark!