Project: *NEW NAME PENDING*

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Rage., 8 Mar 2007.

?

What should the sword on the front be made of?

Poll closed 25 Mar 2007.
  1. Mounted Perspex and the sword engraved on it?

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. The sword made out of aluminium and putty underneath to hold it?

10 vote(s)
    83.3%
  3. The whole sword out of putty?

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. Rage.

Rage. What's a Dremel?

Hello to all modding enthusiests.. xscuse my spelling - i never did really like english and i still dont.. anyways.. ill be modding this over the next few months most likely because of a few things i cant get my hands on yet.. anyways.. lets get straight into it..

First off.. my idea was to create a lord of the rings style case based on the character gandalf.. brb, recreating my case in paint.. lol

[​IMG]

Okay.. well i also need to ask for some help on the right panel.. with the gandalf picture, im not sure if i should airbrush it on, engrave it or model it with putty. Also, the front buttons will be a gold ring cut in half and the big ring will be gold plated but probably made out of brass or aluminium. Ive been lucky enough to know a jeweler who can help me with these. Im also goin to try and get him to engrave the same enscryptions from the actual LOTR ring for the big one. Btw, the front sword is goin to be made out of putty.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

First off, this is the case i will be modding.. Its my current computers case so ive had to create a temporary home for my computer.. this is the results..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think it was a pretty novel idea.. its most definately been used before but i didnt have a briefcase or anything to put it in so i just used the boxes..
    Anyways.. moving along.. i first decided to cut the whole front of my case off when i found out it was just clipped in anyways..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I wanted to put mesh across the whole front of the silver bit and then put aluminium across it for the sword base, but after finding out the prices for mesh were a rip off ($200+ for a sheet 2x1m) i decided i would just cover the whole thing with aluminium. (i might look for some mesh at a metal scrap yard or sumthin - any ideas?)

My work area will be my garage for the moment - im moving houses in a month and a half so this will be the environment im working in..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Its messy i know but it will be suitable for now..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i decided that i wanted to take the front bays out so i could locate the harddrives on the side easier and so i could fit a radiator in there for watercooling ( need mesh ). I bought a dremel (best investment EVER) and used it to cut the bay up because it wouldnt fit perfectly ( the side panel wouldnt close with a HDD there )

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I then gave the side panels a light sand with my new sander This was just to help the paint stick on a bit better when i paint it again otherwise id have to do an undercoat and i seriously cbf :eeek:

[​IMG]

I then went out and bought a bit of stuff i needed.. i got some polishing stuff, super glue, gloves for the clean box, a box (not shown) duct tape, putty and that blue thing on the bottom is a sheet of aluminium. :rock:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I then went out and started my polishing.. i have done probably around 2.5 hours of polishing and decided it was enough however im goin to do some more tonight at my mates (who is also a fellow modder - thx 2 me =P - check out his 1st mod- 'Death by Caution')

Well this is all ive done for the moment.. im not sure when the next update will be coz ive got a lot of homework, work and some other stuff to manage as well ( im a bit short of time :duh: ) Anyways.. please comment, give feedback and suggestions. Thanks heaps,
    Rage.

Last edited: 12 Apr 2007
  2. El1m1nate

El1m1nate What's a Dremel?

Yay finaly!!!! u put it up(lol) ive been trying to persuade u to put it here 4 a couple of days and when i did mine here you started your. :D love the layout of the site and nice mod

keep up the good work

3. Rage.

Rage. What's a Dremel?

I just wanted to post a quick update..
    these are pics of the bay that i cut up.. as you can see ive riveted them back together and theyre a bit smaller as well.. :clap:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Laterz..
    Rage. :rock:

4. Supra55

Supra55 What's a Dremel?

Not much done yet :worried: , but it should turn out OK

5. Rage.

Rage. What's a Dremel?

ok.. so ive done a bit more..
    I first started off by polishing a bit more of my case and dam it looks good.. unfortunately it has taken 5+ hours but i think the effort was worth it..

[​IMG]

then me n my mate bought a sheet of mesh.. (dam that thing was heavy lol)

[​IMG]

I cut it up..

[​IMG]

now my idea was to put it onto the front of my case so it will provide a little bit extra ventilation and aesthetics.. Also, it is capable of having either a watercooling radiator with fans or just fans to get the airflow hapenin..
    so after a bit off cutting with an angle grinder, this is what i got..

[​IMG]

As you can see, it overlaps on the right side a bit so i had to use the dremel to tidy it up a bit.. also, buy extra discs if ur hard on the dremel, i went through quite a few.. :wallbash: :wallbash:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I must admit the front looks pretty nice just like that.. also if anyone wanted to know how i stuck it on.. i just used superglue and it worked like a charm!
    Im currently doing some drive stealthing and ill show you the results of that later.. i need black paint first so ill show you all probably around wednsday/thursday coming.
    Ta.. :D

6. Rage.

Rage. What's a Dremel?

forgot to say.. my mates hdd mod we did failed coz the glad wrap he put over it had dust on it.. same with the plexi lol.. (hes probly already said this but oh well..)

7. Supra55

Supra55 What's a Dremel?

Lol that sucks. Very nice mesh work though wish I could find a sheet like that for cheep.

8. Damouse

Damouse Thats no moon!

lol same cautions to you as to el1m1nate about the hd. be REALLY anal retentive about the enviroment where youre going to replace the top.

All the best to you, i hope it works out. If it does then it means mine has a chace too :D

9. Rage.

Rage. What's a Dremel?

Project Gandalf: Updated 14 March 07

to kick things off a little id just like to say that ive got a test hard drive which im goin to attempt to window mod without stuffing it up. Ive formatted it and placed a single file on it so once the mod is completed, if it is recovered.. I WIN :D

[​IMG]

Dunno if u can see it.. but its there =]

next.. i decided to paint the front of my case black coz the rest of the case is goin to be black.. :duh:

[​IMG]

unfortunately, as you can see in this next pic there is some small 'holes' or whatever you wanna call em where the paint didnt quite stay..

[​IMG]

I sanded it down and then painted over all the places with these 'holes' but i ran out of paint.. so as u could imagine, ive got a whole lot of crappy 'holes' and splotchs where the paint decided to squirt..
    this is the update for today.. im hopin to get some more done by the weekend =]
    Have a good one and happy modding!

10. El1m1nate

dead links

Last edited: 14 Mar 2007
  11. Rage.

Rage. What's a Dremel?

Well.. im about to go and start a window mod - note that this is only a test (coz i dont wanna ruin a perfectly good 80gb hdd :D) ive got to make the box and stuff first. Ill take pictures for all who want to learn and ill show u how i did it.. Ive also placed a file on it as you can see in my last post.. (its just a pic) its just to make sure it works =]
    kthxbye

12. Rage.

Rage. What's a Dremel?

Also.. im going to start up a poll - i want to know whether i should mount perspex on the front and engrave the sword, make the sword out of aluminium (putty underneath the hold it) or to make the whole sword out of putty.
    Please giev me ur opinion coz im really undecided.
    Ta

13. Rage.

Rage. What's a Dremel?

Ok.. Ive done my box.. I noticed on el1m1nates one there were small holes where dust may have gotten in between the gloves and the box. but anyways.. heres how mine turned out..

[​IMG]
    First off i cut the holes with a dremel however it just melted out.. then i sanded it with the dremel to get rid of the big bits and finally i went onto 240grit paper and did a light run down to make it smooth.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Then i attached the gloves and HEY PRESTO! It works!
    Im goin to do the actual mod tomorow coz ive run out of time for tonight..

14. El1m1nate

lol greeen

15. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

sorry whats the mad box for?

16. BagUd

BagUd What's a Dremel?

for a hdd mod i think.

17. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

Wont that bit plasic box attract static?

18. widmod

widmod Minimodder

how will you clean the inside of the and the cloves once it is all sealed?
    I never saw a harddisk mod which didn't killed the harddisk after a few days of use :wallbash: . I'm wondering how to get dust out of a compleatly sealed box, because any opening of the box would cause more dust to come in :confused:

19. Rage.

Rage. What's a Dremel?

this my friend is for a hdd mov :D and yes it will attract static but only if u put it on carpet..
    and widmod..
    ..ive heard of people using a vacuum cleaner and they put a hole in the side and then remove all the dust that way.. but only a brand new vacuum cleaner will do this well.. what im goin to do. is hose it down with a spray bottle thing.. first using the jet option and then the spray to capture floating pieces of crap.. then im goin to wipe it dry with a fine cloth.. finally placing all the things inside the box that i need including the hdd.. thats when i FINALLY seal it..
    im just about to do the mod.. gotta eat first =]
    laters

20. Rage.

Rage. What's a Dremel?

ok ive done the harddrive mod!.. youll find out if it works in just a minute :dremel:
    this is the harddrive i will be modding.. nothing much.. just a 2gb i found..

[​IMG]

I started off by placing all my stuff in the box and unscrewing the screws.. when unscrewed, i plied it open with a flathead screwdriver and then placed cling wrap over it.. i then started marking with a permanent marker where on the harddrive i wanted to cut I forgot to take pictures here..

[​IMG]
    This is the cut i have made.. it looks pretty clean.. its been sanded as well.. unfortunately.. i had to cut through reinforced steel.. it took a lot of time and patience and cut off discs :duh:

I then marked out where i wanted to cut on the perspex using the hdd cut for a template.. make sure you cut outside of those lines by a small distance to give space to stick it on.. (make sure theres no gaps) I then stuck on the perspex and waited an hour or so for it to dry.. (again forgetting to take pictures sorry)

I then put the top back into my clean box (after wiping it thouroghly with a damp cloth (mistake)) and i reassembled it.. unfortunately.. i noticed a single speck of dust on it.. luckily i shook it off.. :D

I then took it out of the box and looked at it.. this is the mistake i made before.. by wiping it with the damp cloth, i smeared a little bit of super glue on the underside (inside the hdd) of the hdd.. this is the resulting picture..
    [​IMG]
    Again id like to say it was just a test.. If i had really cared that i smeared some stuff on the underside of the perspex and making it look bad, i wouldve fixed it, but i just wanted it to work. =]

anyways.. I hooked it up.. turned her on and VOILA.. IT WORKS!!! I recovered the file fine and tranfered and deleted some files (for some action of the needle :D) and it is a SUCCESS..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

NOTE: I spent HOURS on this mod and at LEAST ONE HOUR of cleaning of the parts and box altogether. Be sure if you attempt this mod to have PLENTY of time and to carefully wipe EVERYTHING you put in the box.. HDD INCLUDED!
    Good Luck if u do it. :rock: