Case Mod - In Progress Project: Orange Monster, 26 July 2006; Wire routing blocks 16.3.2014

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Darkened, 26 Jul 2006.

1. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

@Duste

I too am really sad about A.C.Ryan pulling the plug on orange sleeving. Though I might be ok with some other brand sleeving which would come in different sizes since now I'm not using the larger ones at all.

@antiHero

I ordered them from FarnellInOne and the reason was that Elfa doesn't stock the orange/amber switch :wallbash:

Well it's only money and hey, it was delivered to my door, so something good at least :hehe:

Oh, and some news also, I was modding today again and damn it felt good! I didn't quite finish what I started, so the pictures will wait until it's ready, but at least I'm doing it again...

Janne

2. Ludichris

Ludichris What's a Dremel?

What voltage power supply and what ohm rating resistor are you using to light your Bulgin switch?

3. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

@Ludichris

Do you mean the power supply for the pictures or in the end? For the pics I used 3V tester PSU (2AA batteries) and 150 ohm resistor.

When it goes in the case, I will connect it to the power on led on the motherboard, but I haven't measured how much it gives out, so I don't know about the resistor that is needed (if any) there. If the voltage is too small from the motherboard, I'll plug it in 12V line with 560 ohm resistor (or something to that fashion).

Hopefully this answered your question.

Janne

4. Ludichris

Ludichris What's a Dremel?

Thanks Darkened. I have the same switch and am trying to figure out what resistor to use with it. The specs call for a 3.5V forward voltage. I will probably be coming off a 5V or 12V rail from a cut down 4-pin molex. I'm not much (read: none) of an electronics guy, so I thought you might have the same situation. For me, the power-on LED from the MB is already occupied.

5. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

@Ludichris

Just google "led calculator" and get the specs of the switch from Bulgin and enter them in. The calculator will tell you what kind of resistor to get...

Janne

6. Rage.

Rage. What's a Dremel?

this is a mad mod mate.. (hehe mmm)
    anyways keep it up. i wanna see it finished !!

7. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Rad mock-up...

It's update time boys and girls!

I decided to do a bit of a mock-up with the radiator and the fans before it goes in the case (also helps me to figure out the measurements).

Without further ad due, let's bring on the pics...

...bad news first...

[​IMG]

Now what's up with that, the paintjob on the radiator is F'd up! First I thought that it was some kind of "storage grease" and tried to wipe it off, but it's actually the paint that looks like that.

[​IMG]

The other side is a bit better, but still far from what you'd expect from Aqua Computer product.

[​IMG]

There you can see the only chip I found, but even here the paintjob is out of order. I'll have to re-paint this bugger ASAP!

On with the mock-up...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are the compression fittings going in the rad. When I mount them permanently, I'll use some "food industry grade" silicone grease with the o-rings (I use this with my scuba diving equipment).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After that I installed the fans to the rad. Looking mighty good I'd say :hehe:

Let's test them out...

[​IMG]

...with lights on...

[​IMG]

...with low lighting...

[​IMG]

...and finally in darkness, the way I like it :D

[​IMG]

Here's a closer look at the fan spinning.

Finally I'll leave you with something I don't usually do and that's a photo taken with flash.

[​IMG]

The fans were actually on at the time, but my camera freeze-framed them when I took the pic with flash on. The reason for this photo was to show you how the colors are in real life and this is pretty close to it.

Also I was modding today (well yesterday since it's almost 4 in the morning) and got actually a lot done, but still nothing so well that I could show you. The important thing is that I'm getting up to speed with this thing again :thumb:

See you later.

Janne

8. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

Shame about the finish on the radiator. I have purchased a few from AC and have not seen such a poor powdercoat on any of them. BUt, as you said some paint will fix the problem. Also your compression fittings. They are from AC as well? They look quite-different from the ones I have been using, in fact I have never seen compression fittings like that.
    Sending you a PM with a picture of the ones I have been using..

9. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

I was a bit miffed about the quality of the paint also, but no worries, I have a healthy stock of gloss black paint.

The compression fittings are from Coolputer here in Finland, the only place where I could find them. Damn we are behind our times here :hehe: I think I might be able to find these kind of fittings from some other company which doesn't sell computer parts though.

I can also take one of them apart, take a photo of it and send it your way...

Janne

10. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Compression fittings...

I decided to post a few pics of compression fittings here, so that if someone else wants to see them also...

[​IMG]

Here's one of the fittings I'm going to use with the Monster.

[​IMG]

The fitting disassembled...

[​IMG]

...with tube...

[​IMG]

...and finally assembled. It seems like the fitting itself is a bit long so there's a gap between the fitting and the "tightening ring".

There ya go, see you later.

Janne

11. B[x]

B[x] What's a Dremel?

Those are some nice lighting effects on those fans. I'm looking forward to their incorporation.

12. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

It's not that they look bad, they don't. I don't want to see any H20 leaks in the O-Monster.. The ones I use are sourced from Innovatek.. Yours seem to have a short-locking nut and a thick-barb compaired to the G1/4 Innovatek's
    [​IMG]
    With the above pictured ones it is "impossible" to pull apart fitting from (attached) tubing. Does that mean they can't/won't leak, not sure..But, it gives me peace of mind.. Try the "pull-apart" test Dark..
    Now we want/need to see more: what location do you have in-mind for the rad.? I love H20-cooling-stuff!!

Last edited: 20 Mar 2007
  13. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Thanks for the info, I think it's quite possible to get Innovatek products even from Finland, so I might go with those (I have bought only these two so far).

The rad is going to be mounted to the top of the case, inside of course. You'll probably get to see this in a couple of days...

Janne

14. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

That paint finish on the rad looks suspiciously like it was placed in bubblewrap when still wet. Repainting is the only way to go, I'm afraid.

15. Duste

Duste Sierra my delta, bravo!

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, especially with the circle shapes everywhere.

Janne, have you checked the bubble-wrapping that the radiator came in, if it did?

16. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

@IanW and Duste

There was a bubblewrap bag around it, but it was also wrapped in some sort of thin paper. Neither of them had traces of paint on them, but the paint seems to be "sticky" still, so I'm guessing that there is something wrong with the paint itself (doesn't dry properly).

Anyhow, that's not a big problem, repaint it and let the bugger dry :hehe:

Janne

17. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

:hehe: I get same kind of feeling some times...

btw, I send you PM some time ago, I just want to make sure it reached you. If not, I have F***ed up something... :confused:

18. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Sorry about that Evenge, it's slipped my mind to write you back, I'm on it...

Janne

19. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

nice work dark, gutted for you with regard to that paint job though, maybe you should just polish it now instead ;) (i joke of course)

20. TapperSwe

TapperSwe What's a Dremel?

I had finaly the time to read trou this (Monster large) worklog and what can i say, well to start with u are doing a fantastic job with this case and by looking at it one can see that u really have think trou the design of it ,what i like the best might not be a suprise to u ,the polished alu of course :D
    I havent seen many good looking case feets but yours is definetly an exception.

By the way, u allready know this but im going to say it anyway ,u are very talanted with the acrylic.

Tags: