Motors Clarkson: No more Top Gear?!

Discussion in 'General' started by GreatOldOne, 11 Mar 2007.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

WTF?

According to an article on the BBC, Jezza has said in his Sun motoring column that Top Gear won't be back in the summer...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6439449.stm

What does he mean? Not back in the summer, or not at all? And the BBC is downplaying it all. I can't find the Sun article on line (god, what a dreadful site that is...)

Did anyone read about it (it's ok - we won't hold Sun readership against you ;))

2. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I suspect it won't be back in summer, it'll be autumn. Stopping Top Gear sounds like madness - they don't really have a good reason to (at least one that we know of), and, frankly, my faith in television would be destroyed. :(

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

5. rowin4kicks

rowin4kicks a man walked into a bar ...

probably popularity or summin or people to remember the show?!?!
    i dnt really know but clarkson is weird sometimes any way!

6. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Maybe he thought that when he said "back in summer" people would think a series would be back in summer, rather than having a special, then returning in the autumn.

One thing's looking up though - once the F1 season starts to come to a close, we'll have TG. A weekly fix of car-mania, almost all year round. :D

7. big ally

big ally What's a Dremel?

it will be back, i think hes just scaremongering, he makes to much money out of it and the show is way to popular. Besides where would the Stig go!!! lol

8. Freedom

Freedom Minimodder

The BBC gets too good a rateing from topgear to cancel its also the reason why they wont why they wont clamp down on them

9. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

AFAIK, there are still several specials to show from the run just finished - it was a short series due to starting late (and having to fit in with other programme schedules), and they've still got articles that they filmed that they didn't have time to show (the Hamster record attempt was one of the last things they filmed for that series).

Perhaps the summer show will just be a series of specials without any of the car tests, stars etc., and they'll all be back for a proper show in the autumn.

10. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Maybe it will be back even sooner?

11. lex90

lex90 Minimodder

They should have top gear every week. No crap about when it is, it should just be there.

It shouldnt make way for other sports, or whatever stupid stuff they come up with, it should just play every sunday.

12. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Oi, bindi - that's the same link as I provided... :p :D

I've just been reading on the Final Gear forums that the issue isn't Jezza.

A few of the guys there have been to the recording of the Top Gear TOTP special (Which is out in the Summer) - and Jezza, Slow & Hamster plus the TG Crew said yes it's coming back, but there's no definiate timescale.

This is because they're having to move locations. The Dunsfold Airfield lease is up and the locals are insisting on building houses on the site.

So when they do get back, they'll be at a new location - which sort of buggers up any continuity of the Power Lap board and SIARPC boards.

http://forums.finalgear.com/showthread.php?t=17594

13. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

Ok if they have to move the track off the airfield who's up for making an exact copy at their house? TG wouldn't be the same without the stig racing through THE hammerhead and Chicago every week. Plus think of all the times that would have to be thrown out if they had to move. In the meantime I want someone to create the TG track for the game Trackmania: Sunrise or some other racing game. I would love to feel like the stig :D

14. m0o0oeh

m0o0oeh Minimodder

Seconded just for the plain cool-factor.

Joe

15. PilchY

PilchY Minimodder

From what i had read...

It was the BBC also wanting to increase the number of star's into the program and clarkson may and hamster wanting to make it more car focused. Perhaps to do with health and safety after what happened to hamster?

It would suck if they did have to move though.... but yeah... someone has to be able to re-create the TG track?

16. IAmATeaf

IAmATeaf Minimodder

Am a TG fan myself but was it only me that thought that the last series was a bit too staged to get some of the laughs, for me the funniest moment of the last series as hamster in the local chippies ordering cod and chip 200 times, was in hysterics.

Tags: