Case Mod - In Progress Project: Orange Monster, 26 July 2006; Wire routing blocks 16.3.2014

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Darkened, 26 Jul 2006.

1. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

Looks pretty nice mate. What you could do is get yourself a piece of black or orange tubing that fits around the fitting itself so the wirethreads aren't visible. :)

2. hellas91

hellas91 What's a Dremel?

Your photographer ability is impressive :thumb:

Nice up and nice pohtos! ;)

3. Mr-IK

Mr-IK Minimodder

Really fancy mod!

I would be honored if you would make a guide to 'chroming' your computer parts (like you did with your CD drive). A bit more in depth than the way you described it earlier.

4. Zds

Zds What's a Dremel?

I'd go for the basic model. For what I know, they differ mostly on the maximum flow rate and the basic model is *a lot* less noisy. What matters more (IMO) is the pressure head, and it's pretty close the same on both. What you need most is pump that can move reasonable amount of water _through the actual loop_. And in this equation maximum flow does not matter, but pressure/flow curve of the pump (ie. how much flow the pump can provide with given flow resistance).

And blocks like Apogee do not need that much flow to work well. Storm et al are a different matter, but it seems they are slowly being phased out.

So to summarize it: I do not think the pro model is worth the added noise.

And the top inlet: it comes with the "modded" acrylic top, that can be had off-the-shelf from various retailers, like Coolputer. The acrylic top also makes the pump lot less noise, and looks lot better than the base one.

So here's my 0.02€

5. Duste

Duste Sierra my delta, bravo!

Hey big guy, I was browsing the net today and I found actual UV Reactive Orange 6mm PVC tubing at UVGear in the UK.

http://www.uvgear.co.uk/product/product140.htm

They also have UV Reactive Orange acrylic sheets. Might come in handy for you. ;)

6. Deejay3d

Deejay3d What's a Dremel?

I have been watching this mod for a while now, lost track of it for awhile, but glad to see it is still going. The black and orange is just sick-looking. I really love the carbon fiber work, too. I had a question, though. You're using the AC Ryan fans. I have 2 of the UV green ones myself. Don't you find them to be loud as hell? Mine are so annoying! Are you taking care of that, and if so, how?

7. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Okay guys, good news at last :thumb:

First off, I got a job at a local computer store, so now I can get back to modding again. Also this gives me a good chance to buy all the new hardware which is needed for the Monster.

I'll update tomorrow and also answer all the questions I have neglected (sorry about that).

See you soon.

Janne

8. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Good stuff dark! Hope your exams went ok bud, take your time :thumb:

9. Duste

Score! Nice one. ;)

10. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

Nice to see you again.

Just interested, did you get your job from jimmspc-store? :)

11. mario_cell

mario_cell What's a Dremel?

@ Janne
    First to your case:
    it's so wonderful :thumb:

Second:
    There is somethin' u may want to know.
    If u buy a silver aquatube and put some orange dye for the water color in it, the water will be green. Believe me, I tested a couple of orange dyes (alphacool, ...) :blah:

If u want to have a real beautiful orange water, u have to buy the black version of the aquatube.
    I thought, maybe it helps u.

cYa

Mario

12. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Thanks a bunch guys, feels good to have a grip on things for a change :hehe:

That said, I'll have to postpone the update until tomorrow, I've been working for 8 hours today and in an hour I should be at my second job :wallbash:

Well anyhow, see you tomorrow once I wake up :D

And finally @ Evenge, yes I did, how did you know? You don't by any change work there too?

Until tomorrow.

Janne

13. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

No, I don't, even though I would want to. Summer job with computers would be nice! But probably jimm's Helsinki office would suit me better since I doesn't need to travel to Turku over 300km just for a job :hehe:

And how did I know, well I just don't know any other comp store in Turku than Jimm's ;)

14. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Developing LED madness...

Finally an update and only a day late :hehe:

This is going to be a small one, but I'll be back with another probably this weekend which should include some actual modding action as well.

My order from Ledsee came a few weeks ago bringing me these...

[​IMG]

...that's a damn lot of leds, 350 of them in total.

Not all of them are going in the monster, there's also some for future projects :thumb:

[​IMG]

To go with the leds I went out and bought 200m of wire and "a few" resistors. This should get me started :hehe:

[​IMG]

Also these were bought on the same day, a decent set of drillbits and files.

That's about it for now, the next thing to do is to gut the Monster of it's hardware and transfer them to the "server" chassis so that I can have one working and somewhat decent computer at my disposal.

I'll answer the questions in a different post which will follow in a few moments.

See you soon.

Janne

15. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Okay, there's been some questions I've left un-answered, let's remedy that now.

@Mother-Gooser

You shouldn't give me ideas, now I have to see how the damn radiator polishes :hehe: Also thanks for the support with my school stuff. Much appreciated.

@TapperSwe

Thank you very much for your kind words.

@ReFredzRate

I have something up my sleeve for those compression fittings, let's see if you like my approach (hopefully soon).

@hellas91

Actually I haven't been photographing before this project log at all and I'm working with a ~250€ camera, so there's much to improve here :hehe: I'm thinking about getting a decent SLR camera like EOS 400D or something like that. And also I have a few good books about digital photography which I loaned from my schools library. Hopefully the pics will improve from this in the future.

I don't have so many tips except that you should get yourself a tripod if you want good pictures (can be done without one, but it helps a lot), also lighting is important (and try not to use flash). Experiment and take a lot of pictures of the same object (I try to take at least 3 pictures). Then p-shopping is very important, but it doesn't have to be difficult, sometimes auto levels is all that is needed.

But all in all, thanks for giving me credit for the pictures here, I try to make them as good as I can with this equipment :thumb:

@Mr-IK

I'll keep that in mind, I just might write some kind of polishing guide when this mod is done.

@Zds

Thanks for the info on the pump, it's still one of the top choices for this mod.

@Duste

The link you provided was really cool, shame it's not located here in finland, but I can always order through mail if I have to. They seemed to have a lot of UV-reactive stuff which is cool. Thanks again.

@Deejay3D

The fans are really loud, that's a fact. The only reason I'm using them is that they look cool and really fit in the mod since they are orange and UV-reactive on top of that. You can get them to work at an acceptable noise level with a fanbus or something like that.

I've come to terms with the fact that the Monster will never be as quiet as my "server" case with 4 papst fans. It's a sacrifice for looks :D

@Evenge

Ok, I see how you knew where I work. I thought that you might work there as well since I don't know all the people there yet :hehe:

@mario_cell

Thanks for your compliment and also the info on the aquatube. The black version would have been my choice in any case, but it's really good to know this for sure. Thanks again.

Okay, I think that's all of the questions, feel free to nudge me with a message if I have left someones answer un-answered.

Hopefully I'll be able to get to modding this weekend, so that I can update this log with something more interesting than just "stock" parts.

Janne

16. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

Come on Janne stop teasing us and show us some action!!!
    Any plans on showing of at Asem07? Would love to see the Monster live!

17. mario_cell

mario_cell What's a Dremel?

No problem Janne
    It's because the silver colour fo the aquatube which is refelcting the orange liquid, that it looks like a green one. :waah:

cYa

18. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

@antiHero

I'd love to show some progress pics, but as of now, there aren't any. But as I said, hopefully after this weekend there will be. As for Assembly, Jimm's Pc-Store will have a stand there, but The Monster won't be there since it's not even functional at the moment and there's no way I can make it presentable in a couple of weeks. Maybe next year...

@mario_cell

I never would have thought of that if you wouldn't have pointed it out. How about lighting the fluid with UV-led, would that bring out the original color? Thanks again for the info on that and hopefully you'll get the problem solved somehow.

Janne

19. Duste

You can do it dude!

20. HaoKi

HaoKi Lleno de anguilas!

Well the Winter Assembly starts in a week... How about the Summer Assembly, you might be able to get it over there? :rolleyes:

Tags: