1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling one radiator doubt...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by axscpu, 7 Apr 2007.

1. axscpu

axscpu What's a Dremel?

I'm finishing build my gaming pc, and I'm watercooling the cpu and the gpu, but I have a big doubt..... Will one Black Ice GTS Stealth 120 be enough to cool a core2quad 6600 and a 8800gtx. there not going to be overclocked or anything but I like the silence of watercooling and the eficiency...
    I think I would be on the limit (and on hot summer days I would have to speed up the fans a bit) but I thinks its more than enough.
    the complete setup is:
    swiftech apogee waterblock
    swiftech mcp655 pump
    swiftech microres reservoir
    Black Ice GTS Stealth 120
    Dangerden 8800gtx waterblock
    fluid xp extreme cooling fluid

2. n00btard

n00btard Go away

The most I've ever seen from a 120.1 is dual R580/Opty 180 on a PA120.1, followed by a single R580 and Opty 148 on a BIP.

BIP was on a 70-odd CFM fan, don't know about the fan used on the PA except for the fact that it was a Papst and that it ran at 1800RPM.

Since I don't know how much more heat a Core 2 Quad and a G80 will produce than either of the aforementioned computers, I'm not sure if you can watercool it quietly, or even if you can get away with a 120.1 rad.

I'll get back to this after doing a bit more research.

3. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

I had a E6600 and a 8800GTX on a 120.1 rad and got horribly high temps.

I'd far rather go for a 120.2 or even 120.3 and have very slow running fans.
    Much safer and easily as quiet as running a single rad. :)

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Dual Opteron 250 and 9800 Pro on a single BIX here, with lo-flo Panaflo. Temperatures don't exceed 48C at 100% continuous load.

5. axscpu

axscpu What's a Dremel?

my doubt comes from the fact that the c2q isn't always at the top so I could gain from that... but the problem occurs that the case won't allow me to place a 120.2 rad with out loosing the top usb and front audio, for reference of setuphttp://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=130513&page=2
    other than that I wouldn't know... I could wait to see if the revised version of the 8800gtx is less power hungry (less heat output).... but I don't know what to do...
    airchie: could you please provide data of what temps you got with that setup (cpu, core1 , core2, gpu, amb temp, and water temp) taht coul provide me with some details if its viable or not... again I don't plan to overclock just cool everything with the silence of WC,
    also note that the fan is thermally triggered so if the temp rise too much it will spin up.
    thanks so much for the help

Last edited: 8 Apr 2007
  6. daguuy

daguuy I hate lolcats

If you want top-notch cheap water-cooling, make an evaporation tower like this:
    http://www.overclockers.com/articles389/
    Cool your PC like a nuclear power plant! It beat the radiators by a landslide so it should easily be able to cool your setup.
    EDIT: Here's a silent evaporation cooler:
    http://www.overclockers.com/tips1082/
    I would definately make one of these if I had a PC good enough to make any heat :D

Last edited: 9 Apr 2007
  7. n00btard

n00btard Go away

according to the awesometacular Innovatek Power Calculator:

settings I used:
    "Wattangabe": 160W (max possible value in the program, since it didn't have C2Q)
    GPU: 8800GTX (130W)

then for the fun part:
    rad: Single radiator (not 1x radiator, a 120.1)
    fan: 140m^3 fan (80CFM-ish, rough equivalent to Panaflo M1A @12V)
    room temp: 34C (assuming Vancouver summer heatwave, worst case scenario)

not really sure what rad they're referring to, but I'm assuming aluminum Innovatek rad

LOAD: 46.5C water temp

46.5-34=12.5 delta
    12.5/290=0.043C/W

with what little data and knowledge of water cooling I have:

an HE120.1 with a Delta screamer at 1gpm/3.8lpm will suffice for your PC, although it'll run damn hot if you and your computer happen to be in Vancouver next summer.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge could elaborate.

8. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

80CFM is quite easily achievable n00btard. I'm not sure if it'll be enough for good temps, can you not squeese another rad in somewhere? Maybe another 120 on an intake or a 92, anything to dissipate a bit more heat.

I use 2 120.1 rads, both with seriously silent, low-flow fans on them, and my temps never got over 45'C with a seriously overvolted, hot-running Opty 146.

9. axscpu

axscpu What's a Dremel?

http://www.swiftnets.com/products/MC8800.asp
    will this lower the thermal load on the radiator to make it viable or is it pushing it to hard on one little fellow...
    the inovatek heat calculator throws a 190w power disipation.... although thats the theorical max....
    the radiator is able to disipate 790 KCal an hour which is around 215w...
    I'm also thinking of placing a 160 rad in the front but I'm having problems with the barb fittings as it uses 3/8....
    sorry my math was totally wrong...
    790 kcal = 918.77 watt-hour so I think I'm still there on the gapp

Last edited: 10 Apr 2007
  10. Krikkit

These should work nicely. :thumb:

11. Nexxo

A quad core CPU throws out about 132W. The 8800 GTX generates about 140W. Added together you are looking to dissipate 272W. You will require a double fan radiator.

12. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

A single BI GT is never going to give you sufficient cooling on those components.

Listen to Nexxo becaue when it comes to understanding the science of water cooling he is the coolest of cats.

You need to remember that a radiators purpose is to slow the coolant long enough for the fans to dissipate some of the heat. Given that the 8800 GTX outputs on average 50-74C (water/air) and your CPU between 30-50C, with a single radiator your trying to cool a massive heat dump in a very short space of time.

Swiftech make the RAD BOX which attaches to the rear case exhaust, and handles up to a 3x120mm radiator. Given that it mounts externally you then have the coolest temps for your loop.

Good luck

13. axscpu

axscpu What's a Dremel?

The total TDP of the 8800 GTX is 185W, although you are likely to see only a full pull of around 150W under load...
    so if tis is true than the rating of 140w of thermal from the gpu alone is a bit overkill no?????
    can someone provide me technical data of the thermal output the 8800gtx...
    thanks...

14. Nexxo

A quick Google reveals that the 8800 GTX typically consumes 116-120W of power with a max TDP of 185W:

TDP stands for: Thermal Design Power (sometimes Thermal Design Point). It refers to the amount of power that a circuit or chip will dissipate as heat (while running under a certain load), generated in part by the very high frequency switching activity of the circuits, and in part by the electrical resistance of the circuits.

As such, the TDP indicates the heat that a thermal solution in a computer system is required to dissipate.

What this means for you is that yes, Wattage in (in electricity) is Wattage out (in heat). Sorry.

Last edited: 10 Apr 2007
  15. axscpu

axscpu What's a Dremel?

so it means that I should have the ability to dissipate 185w of heat from the 8800gtx and 130w from the c2q, although it would only be when maxed out, right???
    so thats a total of 315w of heat... on one 120BIX...
    I think I can rest my case as this is not posible due to the extreme heat of the cpu and graphics...
    Will have to lose the front usb drive :dremel: :waah: :waah:

16. Krikkit

As said above, you could use a radbox to fit a 120.2/120.3 on the back of your case. The best way (imho) would be to fit other rads in the case, what's it going into?

17. axscpu

axscpu What's a Dremel?

in one of the thread a placed a link to the project log of the case..
    its a coolermaste wavemaster (a clasic)
    but the thing is that I don't want to have the rad outside the case!!!!
    I would prefer to cool only the cpu rather than placing the rad out, but thanks anyway

18. Nexxo

The Coolermaster Wavemaster may be a classic, but it breathes poorly and is a nightmare to convert to watercooling. Still, Coolermiester has done a number of them very successfully: dual rad inside the case, hot SLI systems. It is all in the planning and implementation. Have a look at a few of his projects.

19. Krikkit

As usual, do as Nexxo says.

Maybe you could mount the radiator on the case floor (cut some fresh holes), that way it's not outside. To be honest, I'd probably just cool the GPU, and get a silent CPU cooler, but that's only because I hate cutting cases up.

20. THEkorean

THEkorean 42

i have my wavemaster water cooled with a 120.2 radiator, but it is placed outside, if you plan on putting it inside, you will probably loose 2 or 3 5.25" drive bays. Also, Nexxo is right, the wavemaster IS a nightmare to convert to water cooling, there is VERY VERY limited space inside the case and expect to make several sacrifices to functionality when implementing a loop. Check out my worklog (the link in my sig).

Tags: