Missing Girl -Madeline Mcann

Discussion in 'Serious' started by funkycat06, 11 May 2007.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

No, that's the price of stupidity and laziness, not a good meal.

2. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

And if the police had proof that the kid was snatched great, but as far as I have seen so far we only know 2 things, 1 girls parents left her alone, 2 girl is missing. Has there been any proof at all that someone snatched her, were any locks forced etc? My main gripe is, If the media and all the people who have jumped to help offer rewards, or the famous people appealing for information, would actually start to show even a 2 minute segment on other missing children from the day perhaps we might be able to help a few of them, but we continually focus on the cute white wide eyed girl, would we have had even come close to this media focus if it had been an uk born arab boy going missing in ibiza? Its sickening that we lavish this much attention on one missing person, and its worse that the vast majority clamour for more.

3. Fatboy

Fatboy Bored

More of this guy FT\/\/!

Seriously though this one little girl gets 10 minutes out of the half an hour national news, every day, for 3 weeks.
    What about all the other missing children? or the ones that have been splatted across the roads by dangerous driving? or the ones that have been sexually assaulted even as bad as being raped in the last 3 weeks?

i bet her parents make a mint selling their story to magazines and papers.

[less serious] I bet she will reappear in a few more days and say "OMG noobs ddint look hard enough RLY" [less serious]

4. Nexxo

You are really not getting the point. This has nothing to do with reality. This is, as I said, about Story: about people's own little core beliefs, scripts, imagination, the world as they conceive it. It is about their feelings, needs, fears and desires being projected onto this event. It has nothing to do with what is actually happening; it is about what people are imagining is happening.

Look, imagine we have a slide projector. We project a big image of Gail Porter (naked) on the Palace of Westminster. Does that mean that Westminster Palace is a naked girl? Of course not. But a naked girl is what you see. You may even get a hard-on.

The difference is that you know darn well this is just a projection on a building. You may appreciate the joke: the juxtaposition of a sexual media icon on the stuffy houses of Parliamanent; a little comment on the power of sex and media over people's lives, much more so than that which government manages to exercise. What really matters to Britain? Gail, not Tony.

You may feel a stirring in your loins looking at the picture. You see the image, you imagine Gail Porter (preferably in your bedroom). But you know that it is just a fantasy, projected on an image of Gail which in turn is projected on a building.

On a metaphorical level, the same thing is happening with Madeline. The difference with the situation around Madeline is: because it is metaphorical, ordinary folk do not realise that they are looking at a projection: in this case that of the image of a pure, innocent little girl cruelly being snatched from her family, projected on top of the actual event in which parents were being a bit careless and irresponsible and lo, their daughter has disappeared. Moreover, they do not realise that they project their own feelings of pity ("poor little girl"), fear ("thank God it was not my child") and prejudice ("I bet it was one of those foreign perverts out after our pure, white little children" and "foreign police are useless and corrupt") on this projection. But that is what is happening, and it is such a nice consensual projection, shared by the media and large swathes of the population alike, because it is as archetypal as a fairytale. All Madeline lacks is a red riding hood, for she is truly seen in the company of wolves.

Nobody pays attention to the many children who go missing in the UK. They are much less photogenic. Kids who run away from their abusive homes tend not to look all cute and innocent; you don't see their distraught, loving parents pleading for their return. Underage girls roaming the street as heroine prostitutes don't look cute and innocent either, but reveal something all too uncomfortable about our society. People project their repressed sexual desires on them perhaps, closely followed by self-digust and guilt. Black kids knifed or shot on the estate do not appeal either; they are seen as something foreign (sic) and feral. All these waifs and strays garner as much sympathy as the feral dogs or cats people find rummaging in their bins. They are archtypes of very different fairy tales: the original unadulterated Grimm versions, not the sanitised Disney fantasies that the nice sentimental mums and dads like to read to their little ones at bedtime.

Last edited: 20 May 2007
  5. whisperwolf

No I get the point and have always gotten that point, still doesnt stop me being sickened by a media circus. A media circus being driven by the masses group hysteria. We may say "Oh its all projection of a story on reality" but it still doesn't make it right.

6. Nexxo

I never said it was. Explanation is not justification or condonation.

But it does help get past the pointless anger.

Last edited: 19 May 2007
  7. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

I'm sorry, but I don't think this girl deserves this much media coverage. It's tragic that she's gone missing, for sure, but why does everybody else need to hear about it?

8. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

ROFL!

9. Fatboy

Fatboy Bored

We have a dress down day at work next week and the theme has been set ariund yellow because of this girl. What a joke.

Oh and have anyh of you got the chain email yet?

"this email can reach 80% of inboxes in 2 weeks"

more like 80%of paedos....

10. Nexxo

Be different. Wear black.

Add to that: "37% of paedophiles access the internet*. That is 29.6% of those e-mail boxes that this e-mail can reach."

I applaud the solidarity, but people could honour Madeline's memory better by turing their attention to all the missing kids in their neighbourhood.

* This is a true statistic.

11. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Heh, I read Fatboy's post in the automated email and thought "wear black". Nexxo is spot on :D

12. trigger

trigger Procrastinator

Apparently they are planning a minutes silence (or maybe it was today). How crazy is that? They are actually comparing this kid going missing to millions of people dying in wars. Utterly absurd.

I actually thought of creating a Where's Wally style webpage for this, but when I heard how many hits her legit site was getting, I quickly realised the nasty repercussions which would not doubt follow. Would have been funny though :D

13. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

Useless posturing ... One minute of silence ....

14. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

When is this one minute of silence?
    Someone ought to get a megaphone and read out the names of kids gone missing in that week out.

15. Nexxo

[​IMG]

OK, I'm a cynical b******.

16. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

I like it :thumb:

17. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

Nexxo that is so true and so sick at the same time.

18. Nexxo

"Is there in truth no beauty?" --Jordan (I), George Herbert 1593-1633

19. whisperwolf

Oh I like it, could we get a collection going to place it as an advert in the daily mail, the sun and any other collection of drivel and "celebrity news" we laughingly call journalism these days

20. fsqassessor

fsqassessor What's a Dremel?

Sobering

The poster would be treated as terrible by most people but it certainly strikes a chord. I live in the village where MM's parents live and the villge square has been like a media circus. I thought it detracted from the seriousness of the search and the event itself. People were coming just to be photographed next to the toys and yellow ribbons. On one occasion a mother parked her car ACROSS the local zebra crossing, left it, and took her own child to see the flowers etc., whilst endangering the lives of local schoolchildren who could not cross the crossing in safety as a result. A world gone mad.

I do really wonder what exactly has happened to her.

What does anyone think of the numerous people who have said they have "seen" her in Morocco, etc.? Never a challenge at the time - just a report to the newspaper afterwards when it is too late.