1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks What ISP should I move to?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Wavefront, 23 Jun 2007.

1. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Sorry I should have worded it, he is the reseller, works for or is associated with the reseller :)

2. kingabs

kingabs Minimodder

then i applogise for helping them out even though they dont know about it.
    i am just happy with the service i got from Titan. Is it a crime!

3. Fophillips

Fophillips What's a Dremel?

4. Cptn-Inafinus

Cptn-Inafinus Minimodder

I must say, evenafter all thei negative reports. I use tiscali. And i love it too bits!

If i am ever getting to get downtime they make it very urgent to tell you that its going to happen. And its VERY rare.

My only suggestion is, if you want a static ip. Do it at the start... Dont go through i what i did...

5. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

So you're the one :idea:

J/K :D

But speaking of Tiscali: I just read on another forum this morning, that Pipex are selling out to/merging with Tiscali :eeek:

I'm with Pipex meself just now, and I have to be honest. I'm not looking forward to the merger (/sell out), because I've read far more horror story about Tiscali's service, than I have compliments!
    In fact... yours is the first compliment about Tiscali I've read... hence my comment above :sigh:

Guess I'll just have to wait and see how things pan out :idea:

6. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

We've recently lost our connection and have had endless hassle with both BT and ADSL4Less claiming it was the others fault. Having become bored of this we've made the switch to Titan ADSL (it was a tough decision to migrate as we had an unlimited, unshaped and uncapped connection. It was a tougher decision to choose between Titan and ADSL24 but the guys at Titan were on the ball when I called them so they get my heard earned cash). We'll be migrating over the next week so I'll let you know how it goes.

7. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I found from previous experience that going with the smaller guys can be a pleasant experience, that is until their userbase increases and becomes unmanageable.
    Thats how it was for me with fast24 back in the day.

8. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

AOL Cheesecake! We've had nothing but stellar performance for 9 years with them (although, now that talk talk has bought them out.....it has suffered a little, not much though).

I don't actually use the AOL software/e-mail, I just plug in to the router.

9. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Be*'s uncapped, but they do have a fair usage policy. It is worth noting though, I used our 24MB connection to the max, along with 7 other housemates for at least 2 months, and they never said a peep.

10. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

AOL is also capless :)

11. simon w

simon w What's a Dremel?

PlusNet have a special offer open to users migrating from Pipex (and other ISPs). Just click the banner towards the top-right of the homepage or click here.

In case it's not clear from my signature, I do work for PlusNet. Call me bias if you want, however it doesn't cost you anything to try PlusNet.

12. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

It goes against every fibre in my body, but I have to agree with you. The software might aswell be a virus, but as far as the actual connection goes via a router, it's a pretty darn good one. And as said before, uncapped.

Only reason we left AOL in the first place, was because of the software, and the fact we were on dial up from them, and since then (about 2 years) we've had pipex here and it's going to absolute...faeces...

13. tzang

tzang Traditional Nutter

There are plenty of ADSL suppliers out there but be warned that many have small prints and poor services. After months of battling my ADSL problems out with Demon, who use to be a fantastic broadband supplied a few years ago, I finally got out of their contract and shopped around for an ADSL provider that actually supplies ADSL to suit my needs.

If you are a light user, pretty much any package will suit your needs. The word "unlimited" issued by most providers is actually false as it is usually governed up by a FUP (Fair Usage Policy) in the small prints. Many companies limit you to 50GB a month and under this plan so if you happen download or stream a lot, you will probably want to avoid these companies before they disconnect you with no warning or decrease your connection speed to a dial-up speed.

If you are a light/moderate user and want good service and support should anything arise, Zen Internet is highly recommended.

If you are a heavy user, ADSL24 would be ideal. They also offer packages that will suit your usage requirements with a reasonable price alongside.

14. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

I'll spare you all the long story but we ended up going with ADSL24. Its been a really good service (ADSL Max connection) which started off a little shakey but now gives us speeds that BT stated were not possible due to our distance from the exchange (max 1000kbps predicted). If you have an exchange capable of fast speeds (check samknows.com) then Be is worth it. Otherwise ADSL24, Titan or another Entanet reseller would be a good move.

15. Eraflo

Eraflo What's a Dremel?

DON'T get Tiscali!
    Ive been with Zen for a good while now and they have been excellent. Reply quickly to emails and have great support if needed. However at £24 for upto 8mb with a 20gb/month cap they are not the cheapest :)

16. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

For what its worth, we have Tesco broadband at home and it works :) always at the advertised speed etc etc...

17. Akava

Akava Lurking...

I was with Pipex for some time, then after about... 4 months of trying to get up to 8mb (from 2mb) I decided to give up, so I went to Nildram (who I later found out are part of Pipex, BUT evadently the better part) and I havn't regreated it a bit, always a brilliant sturdy speed, and always quick to reconnect if I accidently (due to pulling the cable out mostly :D) there is a "limit" of 50gig, but what ever you don't use in one month carries to the next, and as my first "month" ended about 2 days after i connected i had 100gig to play with the first month :D I can't really say much more, brilliant ISP.

I havn't read too much about Be, because unfortunatly they don't supply my area just yet (Po19) but they look just incredible, would be very interested to hear from anyone that is with them. If you can get with Be, I would say go with them, otherwise Nildram all the way. :dremel:

EDIT
    Oh dear god no....

*searches for new ISP!*

Last edited: 9 Sep 2007
  18. Akava

Akava Lurking...

Opps... double post.

19. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

Using Zen here, cant fault them on service :thumb:, just a lil more costly than others. :(

I also recommend you check out this comparison site. :)

20. Akava

Akava Lurking...

I've used Thinkbroadband.com for other things before, I didn't realise they had a comparison, Ty. :dremel:

Tags: