News Apple sued for iPhone keyboard patent infringement

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 7 Aug 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Seven years and no product, i don't see how there can be any legal backing for these kind of suits

3. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

Sheer rubbish! Exactly as steveo_mcg said -- 7 years and they have nothing to show? Seems to be the American thing now -- get a patent for something blatently obvious or common sense and then wait to see who implements a money generating product near or around that patent and then sue.

4. Spacecowboy92

Spacecowboy92 Gettin' Lazy

Has anyone patented the wheel yet?

5. Guest-18698

Guest-18698 Guest

6. Tim S

Tim S OG

:hehe:

7. Pricester

Pricester What's a Dremel?

Better yet... patent "A device for moving matter instantaneously or near-instantaneously through space"... then sue when someone finally creates a Star-Trek like transporter...

8. bilbothebaggins

bilbothebaggins What's a Dremel?

If it's possible to file such patents then surely someone has already patented "a means for overcoming friction by attaching rotateable discs of equal diameter" ... or whatever a wheel would be in Patent-Sprech ... :wallbash:

9. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

this is one of the reasons i hate the current patent system....

10. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

another troll; move along, nothing to see here...... :yawn:

11. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

MS, Apple, Sony and pretty much every big name cant escape these patent infringments. Isnt it crazy these days that when you design a new product you have to seach through millions of patents to check that some you thought of has not already been thought of and protected.

Just think of all the cool gadgets we dont get to see because someone has the patent. Scrap patents and just design and build and move forward, stop putting brakes on

12. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

I'd like to patent the patenting system. That way, I'd have the final word on any beef involving patents and lay teh smackizzle down on them.

13. DLoney

DLoney What's a Dremel?

the whole point that the patent system was setup in america was so advancement could be made with or without means to produce the product, thereby giving power the common person who could not otherwise compeate against large corperations in the free market.

"sitting" on a patent is fine. you have to take the good with the bad.

14. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

Anyone else seen this yet? :D

http://theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=41531

15. DLoney

DLoney What's a Dremel?

that would have the adverse effect. Think of it this way- why bother with expensive R&D when you can just wait for someone else to do it and then mimic it for a 1/3 of the cost. All companys doing this would lead to no advancement.

16. steveo_mcg

Perhaps but if you've actually got an idea and not just a patent lawyer then i'm sure you could manage to raise the capital in the venerable free market else whats the point in filing the patent except to catch folk unawares when they do have a good product or an excellent idea. Just because no one wants to make your product doesn't mean you sit on your hands look in to the history of the dyson vacuum cleaner.

17. Asphix

Asphix What's a Dremel?

Because usually, if a company sees a patent that would work in tech they want to develop, they can (i assume) purchase the patent the same way someone would purshase a domain name. Of course, you dont tell the person your buying from what you intend to do with it and let them guage it's value.

If I have a great idea, but no means to implement it.. I can patent that idea. If someone else wants to take the ball and run with it, they can pay me the rights to grab it from me, or wait until 7 years pass (the new time frame I think, i tused to be something like 20+!!!!) and then go about doing it. If I ever get around to marketing a device based on the patent, I can then have grounds to re-new it after the expiration date.

Course, I admit my knowledge on this stuff is very, very thin and I could be completely off the mark here. Its how I always justified this stuff... I hate patent trolls and in no way think whats going on here is "right" and thinking about things that way makes me sleep better at night ;)

18. Breach

Breach Modding in Exile

It seems like these patents are so impossibly vauge, they only describe the idea of a generic technology without actually having to produce a real world demonstration or device of it. Sheer BS in my opinion.

Why these troll companies are allowed to exist is beyond me...

19. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

jeez these patents get more and more ridiculous every day, i mean, how on each can you patent a touch screen keyboard
    There's practically one built into windows anyway

Why not just patent any device that bears human weight, zomg i can sue all Ferrari, MFI, and who knows who else

20. steveo_mcg

If actually worked like that it would be great and i'd be all for it, but things like this and the creative V apple fiasco really make me dispair. Vauge patents with no intention of developing them are unfair this time it was apple who can afford to purchase the company and move what if next time its some dude with a solution to free energy but a vauge patent is owned by BP and just burries the guy under litigation (I know its a stupid example buts its early and the coffee hasn't started working yet.)

Tags: Add Tags