1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

no smoking please

Discussion in 'Serious' started by chrisb2e9, 23 Aug 2007.

1. severedhead

severedhead What's a Dremel?

This is ridiculous! You wont be able to drive past his house next incase the exhaust fumes waft over his fence!

But does anyone really need to smoke so many that it becomes a problem for a neighbour? :eyebrow:

2. walle

walle Minimodder

I fear you missed my point, that aside…

Correct, no one has to smoke, but people do smoke, and smoking within your own property is no problem, its also within every human beings right.

Don’t need to be toxic in order for you to find it disturbing. Lawn moving in early Sunday mornings are disturbing, and (if anything) highly toxic. Using the motivation that everyone has to do it as a reason to allow it on early Sunday mornings (or allow it at all) is not a valid one since there are after all electric lawn movers one can purchase.

Of course, don’t mean that they don’t smell and pollute, have you seen a white garden furniture seated outside for a few days? It’s close to black in colour due to wood burning.

The point is, we are all supposed to live together and that means compromising with our fellow human beings. This ruling clearly shows on the sickness within our societies, and the view that it was a fair and sound ruling only proves my point, no disrespect intended. I don't smoke either, doesn't mean that I act like a freaking arse against a fellow human beings that does though.

added:

Sue here (yet again) and get a clausal that states that she needs to smoke on either side of her garden pending on how the wind blows?

People need to grow up, sober up and perhaps more importantly still....learn to communicate with their fellow human beings!

cheers

3. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

I think it's perfectly fair, if you want to smoke, fine, but it should never effect anyone else whilst you are doing so. I don't smoke for a reason, why should I have to put up with secondary smoke from someone who does?

BBQ and Wood smoke are completely different (bonfires are in the same league as fags though), people largely welcome the smell as it is rare, where as tobacco smoke is intrusive and much more dangerous to your health, coupled with the fact that it will be much more frequent (as in daily) from a smoking neighbour, bbq's happen maybe once a week if your lucky.

4. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

There are also laws against bonfires I believe.. You have to have permission of some kind. Hardly anyone does though.

5. Charel

Charel What's a Dremel?

fair enough and it's been reiterated in this thread a few times, but what you do in your own property is up to you. I'd have an objection if she was stood by the fence blowing it in his face as he walked past. but that's an entirely different matter.

if you're honestly worried about secondary cigarette smoke harming you outside. I'd strongly suggest not leaving the house ever, pop off the old high horse for a minute and take into account all the other pollutants in the word, i don't want to breathe in carbon monoxide from everyone who chooses to drive past my house, I shall take it to court and have the road moved!

6. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

You're missing the point, I'm not worried about it, it should not be an issue I have to contend with.

By all means do it your own home, but in an environment where it can affect others (that's outside) then it should be banned, especially walking down the road in the city, argh nothing more irritating that taking a lung full and then getting jabbed on the hand by some testiculating **** with *** in hand (that's waving your arms talking bollox by the why).

I accept fumes from cars, people need to travel, it provides a useful service to someone, obviously it would be nicer if people walked a bit more but at least it's being functional, there is absolutely no use to smoking though.

Same arguement for bbq's and wood fires, cooking food and heating the house, bonfire's though, your burning rubbish which you could take to the dump/compost.

7. walle

walle Minimodder

You’ve missed the point with a mile shot, that’s fine though.

Agreed, it’s irritating, but as I previously stated, we as human beings are supposed to live together which means compromising. If you live in a house and invites people that smoke and you state that you don’t allow smoking inside, perfectly fine for obvious reasons. If your neighbour is out in his / her garden having a smoke and you sense the smell, whilst afterwards suing him / her, then its not fine, it’s a sign of a sickness within our society as it’s a sign of arrogance towards those human beings that you happen to look down upon, for what ever reason.

So do I, but frankly, people don’t need cars in cities to travel. So if someone reasons that he don’t want to breathe in carbon monoxide from his neighbours cars (for example), his point is as valid as yours in terms of smoking. Why not tell his neighbours to park their cars in a car park far outside his living area?, after all, he do spend time outside in his garden and don’t want to breath in carbon monoxide, should he then accept the provided motivations that since the vast majority of people are driving cars, and since they view their cars as a necessity, his argument would not be valid? Granted, cars provide a service, in a way I suppose that a cigarette provides a sort of service for those who smokes too.

No one states it is.

Last edited: 24 Aug 2007
  8. xion

xion Minimodder

2p's worth from me!...

I think we're all missing the point here... Why did this ever get to court, much less get a court ruling??? This should've been thrown out UNLESS ALL other avenues to address the dispute have been explored.

Just another side efect of lawsuit happy society. Sad...

Oh, and BTW... i live next door to a neighbour who has an outdoor kiln... every day for the past two months i've been downwind of that! Smoking? Bah! Bah, i say!!!

9. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

Here's a question for you. If you buy a house, and you see your neighbor's dog taking a **** on your lawn, with your neighbor nowhere in sight, would you get mad at them? I see smoking as the same, you bought the right to live comfortably without hassles. Yes you share what one should consider open space, and the "free air", but that doesn't mean that there's no repercussions to actions taken there. Smoke all you want in your house, but smoke on my lawn and you'll meet my foot really fast.

Also, the story doesn't go over if he had taken other avenues (asking for example), but one hopes he did.

Yes, living in society is a compromise, but there's also a concept of societal responsibility. Just as one shouldn't run around throwing trash on the ground where ever one pleases, one shouldn't run around polluting the air.

I feel the same way about cell phones. Restaurants and stores aren't the place to hold loud obnoxious phone conversations.

Fortunately, where I live, the law provides no smoking within 10 ft of enclosed public space, which includes open air bus stops, so I don't have any nasty cigarette smell at my house.

10. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Hhaha! Classic....