1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on networking

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by ReFredzRate, 22 Sep 2007.

1. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

I want to broaden my home network from downstairs (2 stories up) to the attic. Problem is that there is not a wiring pipe running from downstairs to the attic.

I thought about networking through the power net, which seems to be working alright since there are several companies making and selling it. The speed of that is 85mbps, against the regular 10/100Mb/s capable router and switch.

Now, I want to place a webserver, hosting my personal website, in the attic as well. Besides the webserver there will only be installed a separate network for testing purposes, consisting of 1 server and 2 workstations (which will run several instances of virtualpc each). The separate network will functioning entirely on its own, so there is nothing to worry about on that.

Still though, I'm a bit worried on the speed of 'powerlan'. 85Mbps against 100Mb/s is quite a difference. Calculations remind me that 85mbps is nearly 10Mb/s... The connection with my ISP is 20Mb/s, which rules out most doubts I have. One last thing I really need some heads up about, is this:

1. Do more devices on the electrical network actually cause more noise on the 'powerlan'?

2. If the 'powerlan' is only 10Mb/s, that's obviously splitted through the entire attic network, will it be noticable? The server upstairs will be connected to the internet as well, providing the workstations with a web connection as well.

3. Is 10Mb/s (from up- to downstairs) enough for the webserver to function properly?

Below is a diagram of what it will look like if the idea passes.

[​IMG]

2. Golygus

Golygus Minimodder

I would think that for hosting a web server, you'd want as fast and reliable as possible - this in mind I'd look at how to wire a cable into the attic.

That said, however, your diagram above and reasoning seems sound enough. The only real experience I've had with the lan over power was with the early stuff, and it wasn't too brilliant.

A few months back i saw a group test on the things (couldn't say where) and the common thing between them all is none reached their stated max speeds.

3. Glider

Glider /dev/null

A "regular" network is mbps too... So it's not that different...

20MB/s uplink? A lot of people will die for that... Unless it's mbps, which seems more normal...

4. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

@golygus: I've been thinking this over all day, and I've decided that it will most probably be a CAT5 running towards the attic, so the entire speed problem is ruled out.

@Glider: Sorry about that. I've been a bit distracted today, so I didn't notice that I was mistaken mb/s for mbps. All numbers on the original post are in mbps, no mb/s :( Wish I had a 20mb/s uplink though ;)

5. Golygus

Golygus Minimodder

Tags: