Video issues with Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Da_BaCoN, 18 Oct 2007.

1. Da_BaCoN

Da_BaCoN Minimodder

'ello all. I'm giving Ubuntu another go (I've tried Linux a few times over the years and have always given up) and am having a little trouble. After Ubuntu is installed and running, I go to Administrator >> Restricted Drivers menu to enable 3D drivers for my nvidia geforce 8800 gts video card. After enabling the drivers and restarting, xserver can't load the GUI. I reinstalled Ubuntu and got the same problem.

Two things I'm trying to figure out: How can fix this? And what caused/is causing the problem?

I'm sure you may need more info, but like I said I'm inexperienced with ubuntu/linux, so just tell me what info ya need and I will get it for you.

Thanks, guys!

2. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

The best thing to do is use the scripts on nvidias website, under drivers just run them as root/sudo and away your go. I don't know if the driver in the repository is sufficiently updated to run the 8800, i know the one under etch wasn't. If you are going to use the scripts remove any nvidia stuff you've just installed. Other wise if you check you've done every thing correctly, read thisits for Debian but the theory should work.

3. mike.sufc

mike.sufc What's a Dremel?

This is how I did it...

http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

On a fresh install, get your internet up and running first. Download the .deb package
    Install (You need to be connected to the net to install)

Whoopdees, it works.

Now, to change resolutions etc. Go applications > (system tools? or is it just system?) > nvidia video settings (or summat like that)
    Sorry I am on Windows at the mo so I cant be fully specific but it isn't that hard to work out what I mean I dont think!!

Now if you restart and it fooks up like what you have said, press ALT+F1 if all you can see is a black screen

type sudo envy -t

that will enter a textual reinstallation of the driver. Do it again!

Should have no problems from now on.

4. Da_BaCoN

Da_BaCoN Minimodder

Well, I installed the newest version of Ubuntu and installed the restricted drivers in that. It works (I'm able to play HL and HL2 via wine), but I can't set my resolution to anything larger than 1024X768. Any ideas on what's causing this and how to resolve it?

5. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

you've ran
    Code:
    dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg 
    ?
    From a terminal outside of X

6. Da_BaCoN

Da_BaCoN Minimodder

You, sir, are my new best friend. That did the trick! Thanks so much for the help :thumb::D

Tags: