Electronics Digital 3 position rocker switch?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by mobius9, 25 Oct 2007.

1. mobius9

mobius9 Minimodder

I'm in the middle of making a small mechanical device, and I need to locate 3 momentary switches to control what parts of it will recieve power.

Out of my 3 momentary switches, when one is pressed, I only want one rail to be powered at any given time... much like a 3 way toggle switch I suppose. (If one of the switches is accidentally held down while another one is pressed and released, what would happen? Would the new press override the held-down button)

for the more visual people I drew an mspaint:

[​IMG]

The left ground is not necessary, unless its required for the chip, or whatever is recommended for this.

2. mobius9

mobius9 Minimodder

3. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

That chip is basically 8 latching circuits in one. Each channel operates individually. Hold on a bit and I can mash up a circuit with 555s until cpemma or someone comes along and has a better idea.

4. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

[​IMG]
    When switch 1 is pressed Output 1 switches on, the other two switch off (or stay off), When switch 2 is pressed Output 2 switches on, the other two switch off (or stay off) etc. It can be extended to more if needed. You may also want to add a switch to turn all of hem off (Just have the switch to all the pin 4s (reset) and ground)
    As for holding a switch down, that will override any other button presses until it is released

Any questions just ask.

5. mobius9

mobius9 Minimodder

Thank you r4tch3t, this easily solves my problem. In fact, by looking at what you've put together I could narrow it down to one 555. Reading up more on 555 timers (this is my first time messing with them), could I solve the problem of a held down momentary switch by integrating a monostable 555 that outputs a pulse?

6. jakenbake

jakenbake full duplex

if you go the 555 timer route, you will need to have debounceing circuitry on your buttons.

7. mobius9

mobius9 Minimodder

I've read about it, is it absolutely necessary as I'm not doing any type of counting or numerical applications? What method of debouncing should I use if that's the case...

8. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

De bouncing is not needed for the above circuit as repeated presses do nothing, just like holding it down. A button press makes the output go high thus turning the transistor on and therefore the circuit.

How are you thinking of using one 555? Because as I see it with this particular configuration each 555 is responsible for a "high"state for each output.

9. mobius9

mobius9 Minimodder

I'd have to make a whole animation I think to explain what's going on with what I'm trying to make. I'll try to draw up a diagram when I get off of work.

10. lost_modder

lost_modder What's a Dremel?

r4tch3t nice schematic. I want to build one, but I don't know why. lol