Scratch Build – In Progress Project Z1X -- 3rd November -- Restarting as a scratch-build

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Zurechial, 6 Jun 2007.

1. DeKemp

DeKemp BEER.

3 liters of cooland? what the heck, maby a little to mutch?

2. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

The guys at SpecialTech.co.uk put the tape on the coolant, presumably to make sure the caps don't come off the bottles in transit!

Thanks! :) Yeah, I'm moving away slightly from a typical ATX box, but my general concept for the project still revolves around one and I'd like the system to be still fully ATX-Compatible and not tied to its current components, so I'll just try integrate the ATX form-factor as neatly as possible into my designs. :D

It's too difficult (read: I'm too lazy) to find the necessary ingredients for making one's own coolant here, and I had to order the Feser 1 from a store in the UK - So I figured I might as well buy lots of it now so that I'll be sorted for coolant in the future too.
    On top of that, I have a fairly complex dual-loop watercooling system in mind for this project, involving 2 hefty reservoirs, so I needed to make sure I was covered in that regard too. ;)

3. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Work-in-Progress Teaser:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

More to come tomorrow.

I'll hopefully get my hands on the materials I need this weekend, then progress will begin anew!

4. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

i like the support legs.

5. theAlien

theAlien I know what a Dremel is....

it's great to see you get this mod back on track again ............:thumb:

are you still thinking about the second loop?

Alan

6. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Thanks! Yeah, progress has been lacking far too much, I'm eager to get things going again and starting from scratch should make it a bit easier to realise my designs, too. :)

I'm still thinking about the second loop, not certain on it yet. If I do include it, it'll only cool the less important (thermally-speaking) components such as the NB/SB, Motherboard MOSFETs and RAM. I plan to make the 2nd loop a major visual feature if I do include it, since performance will be less of an issue than with the main loop.
    I'd like to give the impression of a case almost filled with water (without actually being so, obviously), so the 2nd loop will probably include some extra custom reservoirs which should be visible.

I'll have some extra sketchup designs up tonight or tomorrow to explain what I mean. :D

7. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

Good to see this project is still in progress. I like that you're going the 'scratch build' way, those support legs look good but make a whole lot wider...

8. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

The legs do add a lot of width, and the new case design is wider than the original by 20mm, too, but at least I won't be worried about it falling over :p

EDIT:
    ----
    First post/Contents page of thread updated.

Last edited: 9 Nov 2007
  9. x06jsp

x06jsp da ginger monkey!!!!

it looks good but your pump top is on one side to safr round the outlet should be opposite the molex. but im sure it doesnt matter and oooo nice sketchups i like your design it should be an even more awesome project.

10. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Nice new design. It looks like it should have laser cannons!
    Taping the bottles sounds like a good idea. I recently got a bottle of vac deodorizer oil shipped with the cap off. The bottle was empty, but the box smelled great.

11. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Thanks guys!

Yeah, the laser cannons are part of the plan, they're just stealthed there. :p

I've ordered the last of the fittings I need. For a long time I couldn't find a store online that would stock everything I needed (specifically; 3/8" Tees, 3/8" Ys, M4 Screws) AND ship to Ireland for a reasonable price, but tonight I found www.Vcore.dk - They seem to have just about every fitting and connection in every size and thread imaginable.

I have my Acrylic and Aluminium sheets ready to go, and I've also picked up a sheet of Galvanized steel to make the top section out of (since Aluminium can't be welded without an expensive MIG-Welder).
    All I'm waiting on now are some lengths of Aluminium angle, then I can finally begin.

I'm undecided on whether to include the window in the front of the top section (looking into the hood and filltube), leave that panel as blank, black steel, or to install an LCD display to monitor WC loops.

The window would be looking into a rather dull part of the internals, which would kind-of defeat the point of a window, leaving it blank is a bit plain and an LCD display would require another program running on my system, which I'm loathe to allow..

I think the rounded buttons on the Baybus don't really suit the theme of the case which is mostly sharp angles and edges, but I can't think quite what shape would suit better and still be functional.
    Ideas welcome! :hehe:

Decisions, decisions..

12. Gumbatron

Gumbatron What's a Dremel?

What about triangular buttons. You'd probably have to make them yourself, but they'd definitely fit the more angular theme