Modding [56k Warning] Meh lcd

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Phire, 10 Sep 2002.

1. Gerschwin

Gerschwin What's a Dremel?

I've been looking at LCD's for a while and noticed that some of the cheaper ones have a really low res - the higher priced ones are a lot better - get what you pay for I suppose :lol:

2. Iceatcs

Iceatcs What's a Dremel?

what about this one for game cube, anyone got one? is it good quality or about same?

::click here::

3. Iceatcs

Iceatcs What's a Dremel?

or rip 'ell off from digital camcorder LCD,

got Sony DCR TRV25 today from order, which it is so awesome and the lcd is hell far good quality

4. Gerschwin

The psx one and gamecube are higher res (can't remember exact figures but I'll check them out) - the problem with them is that the tv in part is a playstation o=r nintendo socket so a custom one would need to be made to get the input....

5. ViperZ

ViperZ What's a Dremel?

Gersh, mine's a Marshall VCD 5" with VGA input, It's not cheap.

The Panels have a maximum display resolution of 960x234. This means it can display 960 horizonal pixels, by 234 vertical pixels. The highest VGA signal resolution you can send it is 640x480. The LCD's Horizonal resolution is high enough to display the 640H, however the 234V is not high enough to display the 480 properly, if you try to send it a higher res signal it won't sync properly. The LCD must then interpolate the 640x480 to fit it's native resolution of 960x234, and we all know this never works well on any LCD.

This is compounded by the fact that the pixel pitch is not fine enough to display the small text properly.

If you can find a small LCD panel that has a higher native resolution you are good to go then, however most are at or lower than 960x234.

I would guess the Playstation/Cube screens are lower in resolution rating than 960x234. You have to remember on those systems thay are dealing with NTSC resolutions which is a maximum of 460x350. Most of these small panels look great when fed NTSC signals, it when you send it a VGA signal (PC) that it looks bad.

6. Iceatcs

Iceatcs What's a Dremel?

hmm, i just found Unipac FVP-U056D01 5.6" LCD
    *5.6" TFT-LCD module
    *960x234 Resolution
    *Brightness 300 nits
    *Excellent contrast ratio and superior colour image
    *High-saturation RGB colour filter provides full-colour images comparable to CRTs
    *Select best viewing direction through Top/Down and Left/Right scanning pins
    *Possible applications: Car Navigation System, LCD TV, Portable DVD player

but i dunno it will be good on computer screen or not

7. ViperZ

ViperZ What's a Dremel?

It will look the same as my Marshall as the specs are nearly the same. That is NTSC , DVD will look fine, VGA however leaves a lot to be desired.

Read This Thread

Sorry Phire, I don't mean to railroad your thread, It's a nice mod, However people have to be aware of the limitations, determine if it will do what you want it to do and then decide if it's the mod for you.

I'm not saying it's bad at all, as it's a nice mod, depending on what you want it to do.

8. Iceatcs

Iceatcs What's a Dremel?

ah better one but a bit hell too big...

Unipac FVP-U068D01
    6.8" TFT-LCD module
    1152x234 Resolution
    Brightness 300 nits
    Excellent contrast ratio and superior colour image
    High-saturation RGB colour filter provides full-colour images comparable to CRTs
    Select best viewing direction through Top/Down and Left/Right scanning pins

Possible applications: Car Navigation System, LCD TV, LCD Monitor, Portable DVD player

9. ViperZ

ViperZ What's a Dremel?

Again the limiting factor is the 234 Vertical resolution.. That isn't even up to NTSC standard, so VGA will also look substandard on it.

10. ViperZ

ViperZ What's a Dremel?

A person would have to move into something like This here to get something that meets the VGA specification of 640x480. However it's getting on the big side now.

11. complexprocess

complexprocess What's a Dremel?

i would be happy running it as a winamp monitor only, with something cool in the background when winamp was closed. you could set it to double size and fill the 640 by 480 screen, then switch to the visualization when i found the right part of my playlist. think of it as a plugin enhancement, except you are investing hard work and over a hundred dollars instead of a few minutes of download time. =)

12. ViperZ

ViperZ What's a Dremel?

With Winamp filled to the screen, it's not that bad actually. Some things are tough to make out, but they are things you know the control to already by memory :hehe:

13. Phire

Phire Performance-PCs.com

eek lemme get some pics of mine, not nearly as bad :eeek:

14. ViperZ

ViperZ What's a Dremel?

I have connected 1 of my 5" LCDs tonight and I have to admit, the 9700 Radeon actually makes it look a lot better than I had it before.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's not as bad as I had experienced before... And could be considered a worth while mod :)

15. ViperZ

ViperZ What's a Dremel?

Here is one of with a similar shot..

[​IMG]

Good enough!

Here is an Interesting Combination..

Its Winamp at top, with AVS plug in running. LCDC's Virtual Display is running on top of AVS at 50% transperency, displaying system stats.

[​IMG]

:cooldude:

16. m00min

m00min What's a Dremel?

phire how did you get the fan on the left to glow that light green/whitey colour ?

17. [CpK]Bastid

[CpK]Bastid What's a Dremel?

lol i live 2 minutes from that pic:)

18. Gerschwin

TBH it looks good enough for what it's supposed to do - I had seen some that were really low res (can't remember the actual resolution) - still a worthwhile mod and easily good enough to impress anyone 5that see's it :)

19. danielctull

danielctull What's a Dremel?

i was looking at getting a cheap sony PSOne screen (£100), now if it is PAL like the PSone system, surely it will be 640x480.

Correct me if im wrong but i always thought PAL was 640x480. Is this just me hoping?

20. Phire

Phire Performance-PCs.com

I have 4 cathodes, 2 white (top and bottom) one blue in the back and one green in the front. The intake has 2 clear fans so any number of color combinations comes from those cathodes.