how do you keep your photos organized?

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by [MadMan], 30 Nov 2007.

1. Starfighter

Starfighter What's a Dremel?

Anybody use Photoshop elements?

I find the photo downloader really useful, as it's very configurable where it puts the photos. so I end up with:

\Photos\2007-11-27 Playing at the Park\_MG_001.CR2

Elements will quite nicely read the Exif of when the shot was taken, and automagically suggest groups for the photos, so if I've taken a batch in Morning, and a different lot in the Afternoon on the card, it will split them into two groups. It'll also tag the files on import with whatever I've called the group name, which is handy.

Edits to the photos will end up in the same directory, called something like _IMG_001-edited-4.tiff.

Unfortunately elements lacks batch processing of photogs, and doing simple edits means loading up the editor which is a pain, but I canne afford none of this Adobe lightroom, but I think elements 6 makes this nicer...

2. [MadMan]

[MadMan] What's a Dremel?

maybe i'll try manualy putting them into folders, its cheaper than elements or lightroom.

3. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

\Pictures\Subject_date of last photo\originalfilenames
    I manage them all in Windows Live Photo Gallery by going for one big tagging-session every now and then, and even adding captions to some.

<A88>

4. olv

olv he's so bright

I choose not to organise my photos at all as i feel it hampers my creativity

5. OleJ

OleJ Me!

Errr...?

So when you import them from your camera, you only import some to c: or whatever and the rest to some other random folder. You then randomly burn a few on a cd and throw it somewhere. And whenever there's certain picture you want to keep you move it to some other folder. :D

Sorry couldn't help it ;)

So you just dump it all in one folder or? Which is still organizing. I mean.... if you even import them then you've already ever so slightly organized them :)
    But yeah I agree that being anal about organizing and what-not may steal focus.
    For me it's mostly a fire and forget thing. I shoot, import, select the ones I like and do some PP if necessary and then mostly leave it there. But sometimes I really feel I ought to organize them better and I then do a half-ass job tagging and sorting for a few hours.

6. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

I've managed to stick to folders by date so far and stave off any mass organisation with tagging. I just know that my mild OCD will kick in and I'll be there for hours until every photo is tagged. :waah:

7. Kelp

Kelp What's a Dremel?

Sort by date.

eg. 12-04-07

8. scq

scq What's a Dremel?

I keep mine in a big pile, generally sorted into whatever folder my camera produces and into rough geographical locations. I let Lightroom handle the rest.

9. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

I have folders for grouped events and then sub folders for each event so it would be something like this:

My Pictures:
    >Holidays
    >Trek America
    >My Trek America
    >Ants Trek America
    >Lizs Trek America

EDIT: When I type this it is layed out in a tree like formation but when I submit it the formatting is lost, any ideas?

10. Cptn-Inafinus

Cptn-Inafinus Minimodder

Mines are manually put into order of year-month-date then if i have taken MANY photo's in a day I will put them into more folders depending on the subject.

11. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

Use
    Code:
    :

[code]My Pictures:
        >Holidays
              >Trek America
                     >My Trek America 
                     >Ants Trek America 
                     >Lizs Trek America

12. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

*groan* I couldn't remember how to do it Hwulex, and I forgot to go advanced to get the option via buttons, I am not having a good week . Cheers :)

13. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Basically similar, that's the (only) good thing about the Canon software, plug in the camera and it auto-downloads all shots taken since the last download to date-named folders. I just wish that CameraWindow module could be separated from the absolutely crap ZoomBrowser.

Edited shots and shots passed on to me from family & friends go into the appropriate sub-folder off My Pictures - a tree structure named so it's fairly obvious (to me) where to drill down to find something.

Picasa is the best viewer I've come across, remember to switch to 'scan once' on folders that won't change to speed up loading.

14. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

I use folders, not ideal & I'm not 100% happy with the structure either.

The structure is...

[FAMILY]
    [YEAR]
    [DATE] - Whatever

[HOLIDAYS+TRIPS]
    [YEAR]
    [DATE] - Whatever

etc. etc.

I've watched the Extensis Portfolio videos on their website, it looks really really cool, I may just end up buying it as a xmas present for myself....:brrr: