1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blue screen of death during driver instalation of 8800

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by SFOD-D LoneWolf, 16 Dec 2007.

1. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

glad to hear that you managed to get the drivers installed. sucks that crysis still wouldn't. did you try the mem test again with just stick? and did you try running with higher timings?

how did you test the memory the first time? was it this program?
    http://www.memtest.org/

thats the best one right there, there are some that you can use in windows but this one really is the best option.

2. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

I thought you had already checked the RAM? Hm. That's a RAM issue, obviously. If you've already run memtest, I'd do so because if you call your RAM's manufacturer they'll more than likely ask you to do so to make sure. This will save a bit of time. Or, alternatively, if you can still return said RAM to place of purchase, and switch it out with another set or even another brand.

3. SFOD-D LoneWolf

SFOD-D LoneWolf What's a Dremel?? :p

I ran the Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool, and on the first pass (33% into the scan thingy) it said: "Hardware problems detected"

I'll run the Memtest ASAP, and I'm gonna drop by my local PC shop to get my memory replaced.

4. chrisb2e9

are you going to go with the saye type/brand or something different?
    no real reason, im just wondering.

5. SFOD-D LoneWolf

I swapped for a set of 2X1GB Geil Ultra 800MHz.

OK, for the one millionth time I re-installed Vista Ultimate (I know the damn CDkey by heart now), I installed ALL of the damn WindowsUpdate files (over 50) and installed the freshest nVidia ForceWare and nForce drivers.

They all install correctly. (yaaay)
    Crysis installs correctly (WOOHOOO)
    Crysis fires up! (**** YEAAAH!!!!)
    Bigass artifacts on screen as EA Games icon shows up, coupled with a weird noise from the GFX cards which was audible as the case side is off and it is on the desk right next to me (huh?) (I swear it sounds as if someone was running their fingernails on a blackboard, but quiet)
    And for the grand finale...BSOD! (****)

Could I be low on juice?
    Here is full system spec:
    -Asus Striker Extreme
    -Intel Q6600 running STOCK with Thermalright "somethingorother" heatsink
    -2X1GB Geil Ultra 800MHz CAS4
    -2XGigabyte 8800GTS 512MB (the new ones)
    -Seagate 500MB 7200RPM 32MB cache HDD (just one)
    -Pioneer DVD
    -2normal Antec case fans
    -2LED case fans

PSU is Corsair 620W.

Last edited: 21 Dec 2007
  6. OleJ

OleJ Me!

Yes. Quick math off the top o' me noggin' says your running around 500W minimum when in Crysis. And never expect 620W from a 620W rated PSU. I would recommend at least an 800W PSU.

If you look here for instance: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2007/12/09/enermax_infiniti_650w/1
    You'll be able to read that 80% efficiency is top dollar. Which in other words means that if your 620W PSU is 80% efficient then your system will only get 496W max.
    Looking at the numbers I might actually recommend that you get yourself a KillerWatt of PSU :) (you can never have to big a buffer :) )

7. SFOD-D LoneWolf

Crikey, read the review of the 8800GTS 512, and at load they suck 420W in SLI. Hah...so that means I got 76W to power a Quadcore CPU, mobo, 2sticks of RAM, an HDD and a DVD :p

TO THE COMPUTER SHOP!!!

8. E.E.L. Ambiense

Eeek, lol. Yeah man, you're not pushing things with that; 400 watts tops. I'm running the same PSU with a single 8800GTS, dual-core Conroe and 2 HDD's and numerous NUMEROUS other stuff (w/c bits etc), and I'm fine. That's as far as I'd go though. :hehe: I kinda figure you have adequate juice! Hope this does it though, for the sake of your sanity.

Go here and get an approx. wattage rating...

9. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

AFAIK, the 80% efficiency thing is efficiency from the wall. i.e it will provide 620W power to your computer, but take more (~800W) from the wall.

I don't see why that PSU should not be up to the task, people here are running much more from that PSU, and it is recommended everywhere. I will see if I can find something somewhere.

My sig is running of a 580W PSU, no instability whatsoever; and before I saved up enough for that, I was running with some crappy 450W one (only 1 hdd though)

10. OleJ

OleJ Me!

Hmm I didn't know that. I actually thought that the wattage was the wall-drain... well. Let's assume you are right :) Anyways I believe running what he is off of a 620W PSU is still dangerously close to what throughput you can expect from the PSU. Notice that he's running 2x8800GTS.
    From my summarized knowledge from reading test and reviews of PSUs you CANNOT draw 620W stable from a 620W PSU. Of course this specific product may have been under-rated just to make sure but I wouldn't bet on it.

11. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p=1589612&postcount=7
    http://www.legitreviews.com/article/462/1/
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2006/09/10/corsair_hx620_coolermaster/1
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2007/12/11/nvidia_geforce_8800_gts_512/12

In the last one, with them running a Core 2 Duo E6750, 2*1GB PC-9200 memory and 1 HDD, they are only using 210watts at load. With another GPU and a few other bits and bobs, even if you double that, it is still far less than 620W.
    edit:Sorry, the tone of this is rather more serious than I was meaning...

12. E.E.L. Ambiense

Like I said with my last post, I really don't think you're pushing that PSU. Maybe check to see if the rails are running within spec in BIOS? At this point, it seems like everything is the culprit with this rig! I hope you can get it sorted out, and soon. I know you're itching to game...

13. OleJ

OleJ Me!

F*** I've completely misread bit-techs power consumption charts all along. Just re-read it where it says: "recording the average draw at the wall socket". And thats where it reaches 210W... Guess I learned something.
    Sorry for the confusement.

I'm actually having a great sigh of relief because I was afraid that my new graphics card was gonna eat the electricity right out of the socket like a mad monster. Thank god that the 210W is total of components.

Now if only someone somewhere would start doing power consumption listings displaying the secluded amount so the number is (more) usable. I tried googling for it back when I was when building my HTPC/Media server but couldn't find any.

14. SFOD-D LoneWolf

Just incase, I borrowed a Antec 850W Quattro from a friend.

Situation update:
    -installed all possible Windows LiveUpdates
    -installed newest ForceWare and nForce drivers
    -in SLI mode, Crysis has red stripes accross the screen as it loads, then hangs up in the menu and stops responding.
    -with just one card, Crysis loads up normally, but hung itself after roughly 5minutes of gameplay (as they were jumping out of the aircraft)

I got 2months to make this work or the owner of this account and of the money I spent is gonna kill me when he comes back, cause sofar I've constructed a bigass paperweight that looks like a fridge. (Antec P182SE case)

15. OleJ

OleJ Me!

Did you test both cards this way?

16. SFOD-D LoneWolf

Yep I did, same damn thing, sound locks up and then a second later BSOD.

17. chrisb2e9

have you tested the new ram?

18. SFOD-D LoneWolf

Yep put in the 2new sticks of Geil Ultra. I just flashed the BIOS of my mobo, let's see if that will do anything.

EDIT: After mobo BIOS flash Crysis has been running on a single 8800GTS for the last 15minutes.....the suspense is killing me.

Last edited: 22 Dec 2007
  19. SFOD-D LoneWolf

OK here is the deal.

Crysis works awesome, but with only one card (doesnt matter which one). With 2cards in SLI, I get some transparent red lines on the screen (hard to describe)

Same thing happens in Gears of War.

Last edited: 22 Dec 2007
  20. chrisb2e9

do these lines appear right away or after some time? how do the cards fit on the motherboard? are they both able to get fresh cool air or is one jammed tight against the other?

Tags: