Photos suds:

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by modsquad, 22 Dec 2007.

1. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

2. modsquad

:)

--
    3- sets of pictures..
    100's of views but NO feed-back!
    Do you like this (micro-stuff).. or am I just wasting my-time..

3. OleJ

OleJ Me!

You're definetely not wasting your time if you like to photograph but I think you need to write in your post what you are posting and why. Tell us something. Perhaps ask for feedback?

The way I read your post was that you "just threw it up here for the sake of it". Which is why you should at least write what you want with your post.

Merry Christmas!

4. modsquad

I guess I did just "throw it up there for the sake of it".. If photographs are art (which I think they are), IMHO it should not be necessary to write anything.. What do I want, nothing-- nothing at all..
    Merry Christmas back at you OleJ..

5. olv

olv he's so bright

it's a snap of some froth, i'm getting no interest from it. sorry.

6. modsquad

Sorry that your getting no-interest.. BUT, I need to dispute the term "snap".. It's a photograph, that I am sure of..
    Merry Christmas olv! any pictures of those leather-bound books?

Last edited: 24 Dec 2007
  7. Boogle

Boogle What's a Dremel?

Tbh I'm with olv. Art photographs to me, (and maybe to olv too?), are just snapshots with a label next to them 'art'. It looks like you're at the pub with a cameraphone, decided the head of your chosen looks interesting and took a snap. I mean no offence by this, it's just the way it looks to me.

The real, and best photographs imo are ones that look fantastic and say something; but they rarely end up as art. Although a few have ended up selling for much £.

8. olv

olv he's so bright

let me clarify my view hopefully so you understand where i'm coming from better. Firstly, it's not really macro to me, if you had manage to get a hell of a lot closer to the bubbles with tubes or a macro lens or something and had them really filling the frame then yes, it would be macro to me and probably been pretty interesting. secondly, there doesn't really seem to be any composition going on, the depth of field is so small that it just seems out of focus which leads to there being no real focal point to draw your eye in and after an initial glance it doesn't really hold your attention. that is why i called it a snap. and thirdly it just seems underexposed.

not trying to harsh, just offering some honest criticism. if you're wanted to really get some good macro results then i'd recommend getting some extension tubes (can be had for a tenner from ebay) and some decent lighting, i.e. a flash on a cord with some kind of bracket to hold it in front of the lens or some decent lamps.

9. modsquad

Three strikes. No depth of field, no composition and no focal point. And underexposed as well..make that four strikes..
    I guess I will sell the camera and spend the money on beer and use my phone for "snaps" from this point on..

Merry Christmas one and all..

Last edited: 25 Dec 2007
  10. Boogle

Boogle What's a Dremel?

Olv meant no offense, it's constructive criticism. Since this is an art & photography forum, it's assumed any photos posted up are there for constructive criticism. If you just want to show off the photos, then flickr would be a better venue.

The best photographers out there are still learning, I've not met (or heard) of a single professional who doesn't trade tips and ideas with other people, or decline constructive criticism. I personally love it when someone looks at one of my photos and laughs asking 'well, what's that then? It's just a picture of a wall isn't it?'.

BTW there's nothing wrong with a 'snap', they're arguably the most valuable of all photographs simply because they have an emotional and sentimental meaning to the person who took it, and anyone else involved. But for photographs outside of that clique, they need to be interesting on their own (like your Yen thread), to draw the viewer in.

11. OleJ

OleJ Me!

Thank you :)

Don't know if you want me to read something into the .. So I'll just clarify that the exclamation mark I made after Merry Xmas(!) was meant positively and heartily. :) Big smiles from here.

BTW People in this thread aren't trying to peel your stuff down. And who said you have to agree with whatever being said either positive or negative?
    I think there has been some criticism and maybe it was a little harshly put but you don't have to agree with what was put forward.
    Please don't be mad. It's enough with one crazy idiot in here (did you read last POTM? :D) Yes.. me ;)
    I believe we all want the best for you and your artistic and photographic endeavours :)

Tags: