Case Mod - In Progress Project : Not Another Stacker.

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Grifter, 14 Oct 2007.

1. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

My Fault...Sorry. :duh: Still, you do get tired of saying 'Holy Sh*t! That looks awesome!' (Even when you mean it.)
    I'm running out of compliments to give.:D
    Maybe its nice guy burnout. -It's only a matter of time 'til someone posts an ugly build and I go feral on them.:worried:

2. NZ_mod_man

NZ_mod_man What's a Dremel?

Mate! Thats coming along nicely. Love it! :thumb:

3. Teknokid

Teknokid Minimodder

Wow, its really coming along nicely lovely mod.
    Sorry, im new to the thread, i was wondering how you made your mold for the scoops and cut the modelling wood? they look amazing.

4. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

Damn, thought you'd painted it... :D

5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Me too...

6. Grifter

Grifter What's a Dremel?

No soz dudes no painting just yet been just a tad busy at work : (

@ Teknokid i made the patterns for all the air scoops with run of the mill workshop stuff , bandsaw , gouges , sand paper etc.
    Then made the tooling from a two part P.U casting resin called Rencast.

7. Teknokid

Teknokid Minimodder

Cool, well it looks fab, thanks for the reply, i might give it a go myself, but i dont think i could do it as good as you ;(

8. Maddox

Maddox What's a Dremel?

Hello I am a new poster

Hello All,
    I like to read the forums but have not had any reason to sign until now. Where can I get the materials used?? I read all of this i think and didnt see it posted. Or i am blind. either or.. I absolutely love it and would like to work with these materials. Any help is greatly appreciated !!

9. Grifter

Grifter What's a Dremel?

Loes all,

Ok a few people have asked about the mats i've used in this mod and where to get em so here goes....

The Ureol comes from a company called Huntsman (big chemical company) and as far as i know you aint gonna be able to buy direct from them unless you order an absolute shed load , so you have to buy it from smaller distributers, in the U.K thats a company called Mouldlife. Prices vary depending on amount of boards your after and thickness of the board.

It comes in 1500x500 mm and 25 , 50 , 75 , 100 mm thick.

There are also different grades of this board but the one i used for this project is BM5460.

Be warned it aint that cheap your looking at something like £150 a board for 50mm thick.

The Fibrelam comes from all different places and goes by a few different names mine came directly from a place we were doing a job for but if i was going to buy it i would go to either a company callled John Burns and Co or a company called Amber Composites.
    This stuff is even less cheap and will set you back something like £ 450 a board 8'x4' not sure of the thickness sizes on this one.

The casting resin i used also came from Mouldlife as its another Huntsman product its called Rencast 52 and costs about £100 for nine kilo kit.
    Please bear in mind that you need other bits and pieces to cast parts i.e. release agents so dont go spending hundreds of pounds get nowhere and then blame me :D

Other than that its MDF which you can get anywhere so i wont bother going into where i get it from.

Hope this helps , and i will try to get an update soon as i can :rock:

10. Teknokid

Teknokid Minimodder

any more updates?

11. Grifter

Grifter What's a Dremel?

soz Teknokid been to busy to get it all rubbed down and re primered so its moved on from the last update but not anything log worthy yet : (

12. Teknokid

Teknokid Minimodder

Ok, well i look forward to updates

13. Grifter

Grifter What's a Dremel?

Loes bit tech dudes,

First of all hope everyone had a good christmas and is looking forward to some major party action for the new year , over the festive season i havent been into work so the mod hasnt moved forward although it wont be long and i will be back on it.

However i have a question....... i need to find something to attach my removable side panels to the case body , and despite my best efforts so far ( countless hours of net surfing :wallbash: ) i havent found anything that really fits the bill.

Has anyone got any ideas , links etc that i could take a look at ?

Otherwise i can see me useing some lame looking bolt which just wont look right. Now i know this seems like a massive planning error on my part but i was going to use magnets but the other day it struck me that magnets of a fairly large strength might not be such a good idea as they wouldnt be a million miles away from the hard drives :grr: .

Now that i have put that down in writing it seems that if im honest that is a pretty big planning fubar , however i must get round it so if anyone has got any ideas please let me know , thanks in advance :thumb:

14. DonCorleone76

DonCorleone76 Modmaster deluxe

magnets, velcro, kitchen-cupboard hinges,

What kind of style did you have in mind, probably the kind that is invisible from the outside right.:duh:

Anyway, good luck with the build, Looks Perfect so far..:thumb:

15. Colossous

Colossous Minimodder

You could put hinges on the top of the panels and try and source some hydraulic rams and have "Gull wing" style opening panels ? :baby:

16. Macros_the_Black

Macros_the_Black Yup.. I'm a f-ing reptile

I found a site with a load of different types of hinges. Something that caught my eye was the pivot hinges, those could be installed so they are invisible when closed. "European Hinges - Blum Hinges" (that I suppose DonCorleone76 was talking about) also look interesting, though they might require some space that might not be available.
    Have a look at -> Cabinet door hinges

Another mechanism that comes to mind is "catchers". Like these ones from Woodworker's HARDWARE®:
    Bullet Catch
    Twin Ball Adjustable Catch
    (Woodworkers Hardware also has a bunch of different types of hinges and slides)

Last but not least, this mod looks the bomb!! I so love the industrial design prototyping feel this has!! 8D Been following this log for a while, but haven't commented yet (sorry)... it's like cheapskate said, sometimes you get tired of giving praise <=) ...anyway, this mod certainly deserves some so here you go *unloads a truck load of praise in Grifters lap. KA-TJONK* :D
    Keep up the excellent work! :rock:

[edit]
    Hmm, that gull-wing idea made me remember another solution. How about a four-link mechanism (vertically mounted)? That will displace your side panel in an arc out from the case w/o rotating it. When fully open the side panel will be resting above the opening in the side of the case, with the same side towards you as when closed. Does this make any sense at all? <=)
    The kind of four-bar/link mechanism I'm thinking of is the parallel one to the far right in this image (couldn't find a better illustration)[​IMG]

Btw, how heavy is the side panel?
    [/edit]

Last edited: 29 Dec 2007
  17. Grifter

Grifter What's a Dremel?

thanks for the ideas dudes

@DonCorleone76 thanks for the ideas i dont think ill go down the velcro route , kitchen hinges i will look into and magnets was my first idea but like i said dunno if they would bother the hard drives.

@Colossous trust you to come up with that gem of an idea only thing is it sounds like a fair bit of work ....but i like it ...alot.

@Macros_the_Black thanks for those diagrams dude very interesting indeed and the side panels weight just over 500grams each

Last edited: 29 Dec 2007
  18. Macros_the_Black

Macros_the_Black Yup.. I'm a f-ing reptile

500g, that shouldn't be to much for a slim 4-bar mechanism... should you choose to go down that road.

I made a simple animation to clarify what I meant earlier (I tend to be unable to explain what I mean unless I may use a pen/pencil) <=). Imagine this animation vertical instead of horizontal. The dark gray C-shape on top would be replaced by a cross section of your side panel (atm, it represents a cross section of something else ;)).

19. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

that would be slick, but you would lose some area to work/have open.
    your choice, and any option im sure you can make look great.

20. Grifter

Grifter What's a Dremel?

Thanks for that movie clip dude that does clear it up alot better in my mind : )
    And thanks to you 500mph for having faith in me even if it maybe a little misplaced ^^

Tags: