1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows I wanna dual boot Vista 64 and XP 32... whats the best way?

Discussion in 'Software' started by SCOTTBALL, 7 Jan 2008.

1. SCOTTBALL

SCOTTBALL What's a Dremel?

My setup is 2x 320GB hdd in RAID 1
    and a 120GB other drive

I wanna make vista 64 my main on the 320GB drive, and XP 32 on the 120GB drive (because all the incompatability talk has got me worried about software/games not working)

Which OS should I install first? Does it matter at all?

and on a side note, how much of a hdd partition should i make for installing vista onto.. I usually use 10GB for XP

thanks!

2. mrlanrat

mrlanrat What's a Dremel?

All my games run perfectly on Vista. I haven't had any problems. But anyway, here is a guide that will tell you how to dual or tri-boot anything. http://apcmag.com/node/5162/

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

does your motherboard have a a boot menu feature? eg, press F12 and a drive selection pops up.

use that, that way you don't need to mess around with dirty boot menus.

4. quack

quack Minimodder

You should install XP first, then Vista.

5. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

^-- What Quack Said, Vista will install its own boot menu after detecting XP as an "older operating system" or some such.
    Once Vista is all installed and done it'll give you a boot menu and you can choose which OS to start every boot of the system :)

6. SCOTTBALL

SCOTTBALL What's a Dremel?

ok........... baisically i installed XP, then installed vista (i booted the installation from the vista CD)
    after everythign was done..... i got no boot menu
    i created one using "EasyBCD" and made the XP option, but when i try to boot from it it doesn't work (and is missing /NTLDR or something)
    I tried booting from the XP CD and running a repair but as it gets the the setup i get BSOD'ed

any ideas?

Tags: