Development Will Wordpress work for me?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Da_BaCoN, 7 Jan 2008.

1. Da_BaCoN

Da_BaCoN Minimodder

Hey, guys - I'm working on developing a site in PHP and am very new to it. I was thinking of using Wordpress (at least temporarily until I learn enough PHP to do things on my own) and was wondering if you all think it would be appropriate for the site: the site is for a small startup business (NOT a blog), and will just have some basic information about the business, contact info, etc. I'll also have some sort of image gallery on there.

So even though it wouldn't be a blog, can I take Wordpress and change the theme and all around to fit into what I need? Thanks for the help, guys and gals

2. identikit

identikit Minimodder

Yes. However, you could look at Drupal too, don't limit your options.

3. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Honestly, I'd stay away from Drupal. Unless they've made a lot of changes recently, it's the most unfriendly thing I've ever used (regardless of how powerful it may be).

Making static pages and such is a standard function of WP, and I'm pretty sure there are image gallery plugins available. It's quite easy to make a custom theme fit your exact needs.

4. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Theming WordPress is pretty easy (there are loads of existing themes, many of which you can modify - or you can create your own), I did exactly the same thing for a website that I've just created, as I don't have much programming experience and I don't really have time to learn. :)

5. Da_BaCoN

Da_BaCoN Minimodder

Awesome, thanks again for the help, everyone!

Do you have any helpful resources or tips for me? In particular, I'm trying to figure out about to go about setting it up, making sure my host (I haven't purchased the domain yet) will let me use WP (PHP & MySQL), etc.

6. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

All the helpfiles are on WordPress' website - its all fairly self-explanatory. I think most hosting providers have the facilities for WordPress to work, but I'm with 3DPixel.net.