Case Mod - In Progress Project: "G5 Retaliation" March 19th. Alive and kicking! Happy days!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Angel OD, 18 Sep 2007.

1. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

LOL. No problem, bro! That's what I'm here for!

2. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Cheapskate<-- You need to explain that further... Not really sure how/where you would place those V-grooves... or how to round the edges, for that matter?
    If we didn't have throwaways... I'd still use the material! ;) :lol: Don't think that the copper for the blocks were thrown out! ;)
    I know m8... But I'll polish the H**L out of it anyways! :) If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing right! :thumb:

E.E.L. Ambiense<-- Dude... I should import that into Solidworks, and mill it into the part of the sideplate that will be plexi... How crazy would THAT look outlined? :naughty:

3. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

Do it. really, just do it, please.

4. saxman

saxman What's a Dremel?

It shouldn't be that difficult. I have done a case side for a friend of the Evil monkey from family guy. Lit it from the side using a red cathode and it looked absolutely amazing. I used AutoCAD and a .DXF file to get it converted to the G-code for the CNC. I will try to post a picture.

This looks great. I worked at a place like that here in the states wile I was in high school and I really miss having the CNC's around. I was always making engravings and parts. They never really seemed to have a problem with it as long as it was after hours.

Keep up the good work.

5. bustamove

bustamove A Dremel is a wotsit.

Your just not quite right are you? [in a good way of course]
    rock on man! ......awesome stuff!

6. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

bustamove<-- he he... Thx m8! :thumb:

So... started working on the res today, but didn't get quite done with it... It's now 5 pm, and I'm still badly hung-over from yesterday! :lol:

But here's what I got done, and I think I'll jet to the workshop tomorrow, and finish it! :) Unless the guys and girls show up again tonight! lol

WHEEE, Snowy! lol

[​IMG]

--- Which brings me to the part I truly hate about working with Plexi... LOL

Mod the Snowman! :

[​IMG]

The res, bottom (not drilled yet) and middle. Still needs some polishing though! :

[​IMG]

Coool:

[​IMG]

So... That's it for now, hopefully I'll be back tomorrow with pics of the finished res! :naughty:

Mod on boys and girls! :)

7. rytmehunden

rytmehunden I love glory and fame

Omg dude!! You pulled that out nicely!! love the way you kept the "brain" inside the res :D

I couldnt get there yesterday.. You know... women... :eyebrow:

Im looking forward to seeing that res shine in my own eyes !!

Keep up modding young man! :thumb:

8. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

Couldn't you use a vacuum while cutting with the lathe to suck the chips?

9. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

rytmehunden<-- he he... Thx m8! :thumb:
    np on the woman-thing... One of my co-workers also stayed after work, so it was a no-go anyways! :)

Javerh<-- I know it would be possible, but it's just noisy as hell... :grr: So I'd rather just clean after myself insted! :)

Btw: The red O-rings were actually an accident... We didn't have any normal ones in the right sizes (Nitril, Viton) But I found the red ones, which are actually Silikone... And they DO look a little cool I think! :)

Last edited: 19 Jan 2008
  10. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Never mind what I said. It looks great! I like how you kept the air bubble. That's some slick work to pull off because of all the refraction. I imagine it was hard to see exactly where the bubble was.

Edit: Now that I think about it, What I proposed earlier would have made the res look like a *****.:eeek: That would have been the wrong look! (There's a Mac joke in there somewhere...)

11. Macros_the_Black

Macros_the_Black Yup.. I'm a f-ing reptile

Beautiful!! I agree on the red O-rings.. keep em, unless they clash with the rest of the case.. it looks hot. Gives me the feeling it was intentional. Kind of like.. "Hmm, _everyone_ does clear res with black o-rings... not gonna do that.. frosty res with red o-rings.. yeah! that's original and hot!" ...ok, I know you said you were going to polish it, but I can't help liking the frosted look. ^_^ Though, keeping it frosted wouldn't show of the "brain", and might not look as cool with liquid in it.. but I would try it out and see what it looks like. I mean, there's always time for polishing later.. and if you decide not to polish, it'll save you some pain. =)

This log is becoming one of my top favorite logs.. and that's no mean feet as I'm quite picky. Keep it up man!

12. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Don't hate me... But today is sunday, and I really don't feel like going to work! :sigh:
    Hence, update will be postponed... But just untill tomorrow! I'll stay a cpl of hours after work! :)

Oh yeah, completely forgot to mention that I cut the window in the side-panel! But I completely F'd up the inside surface of it, while beeing a :wallbash: trying to polish it... Dammit... But it's nothing a little sandblasting can't take care of! Luckily! :D
    Just a cpl of shots... You can see how the surface of the backside of the plate looks:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Did the cut with a jigsaw, and milled it to the finished result! The edges get so frikkin smooth! :)

Cheapskate <-- There's a Mac joke in EVERYTHING! :D
    But you are quite right... If it looked like a *****... It would have been the wrong look! :lol: It was actually not that difficult to keep the bubble... I was a bit worried also, but it was a piece of cake! :)

Macros_the_Black <-- Thx a lot m8! :) It will be polished though, I want every piece of plexi in the case to be as see-through as possible! But... There is always the possibility to change it, if I feel like it! ;)
    But I will keep it up, don't worry! :)

13. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

This is the first time I've seen a machine shop with hardwood floors.-Fancy.:D
    If you scratched the inside panel, sandblasting will not remove the scratch. After sandblasting it will still be slightly visible. (At least in my experience...)

14. robyholmes

robyholmes I'm under your desk...

Just looked all the way though your work log, one word.... NICE! I love the look of the G5's and modding one is great! Nice work on the WC too. Great to have that kind of hardware to mod with

15. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Cheapskate <-- It's actually very nice... Much better to walk around on than concrete or whatever... :)
    There are no schratches in the panel, it just looks like crap! Sandblasting will take care of it, luckily! :)

robyholmes<-- Thx man... Truly honored that you would go through the whole log! :) But just you wait, it will be waaaaay longer... he he... ;)

AND.. The good news first... The stupid A$$ news afterwards...

Got the top and bottom of the res made today, and they actually came out preTTYYYY nice! :) IMHO... :lol:

Bottom, polished and done (Except for the hole for the temp sensor)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Top, gotta make sure you hit it in the right spot:

[​IMG]

And I did! Polished and done:

[​IMG]

On top of the res:

[​IMG]

They found that it was not really broken, I got a pretty bad sprain, and my nail is loose from the inside of the finger.. But a piece of bone got torn off, and they might call me tomorrow so they can put some steel-wire inside to keep the chip in place! :(

I found that they have some pretty nice tubing there... But I had no caliper on me, so I didn't know if it was the right size for my W/C... :lol:

Look, flexible as hell:

[​IMG]

That was way to thin though, but there was something hanging on the wall, that looked the right size... I might steal something if I have to go there tomorrow! :lol:

So... As Ron White so beautifully put it: YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID... LMAO...

Sorry I didn't get to polish the last of the res, but... I hope to get on it asap!

Last edited: 29 Jan 2008
  16. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

DUDE....I hope you're okay. Ouch. I've done the 'dumb move' with a high-speed fan before, "...oooh...a spinning fan...let's stick a digit in there and see what happens!" :hehe:

Anyways, the res looks awesome. Very professional. The bubble looks perfect inside it; so I take it your measurements worked out great around it, and actually incorporating it into the design. Great job! Overall, it's gotta be nice having access to some good equipment to do nearly-irreparable damage to appendages! But then again, it's not breaking/spraining something...it's modding your body. ;)

17. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

E.E.L. Ambiense: LOL ... I'm okay... The thing that hurts the most, is the feeling of being stupid! :) But modding might not happen then next cpl of days... :(
    And thx man, everything actually came out pretty good with the whole res, I just gotta do the assembly of it now, and I got some plans for that! But I don't feel like designing too much right now! :lol:

And about modding the body... I think I'll stick with getting piercings and tattoos... They don't hurt as much! LOL

18. cheezeit

cheezeit What's a Dremel?

Aww man, hope you get fixed! I cringed when i read that update. Whats with all these modders trying to kill themselves with powerful machinery?

19. Toxvaerd

Toxvaerd What's a Dremel?

Uhh yeah, a lathe can really be dagerous. I was working at some steel some years back, a large cut away spring got caught in the spinner when i reached for the gears to stop it. Did 8-10cm cut in my gloves, but only 1cm in my finger. Was freaked at first when i saw the huge cut in my glove. When not causious, things happen real fast on those machines, but they do very nice work in the right hands ;)

Nice work on the res. Looks real cool when polished, and i just cant wait to see it in action. Think its going to look amazing.

And hope that your finger will grow back on well ;)

Keep up the good work. Dont let the nasty machines scare you!

20. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Several decades ago I was a machinist running a manual turret lathe. I got into the bad habit of using my hand to stop the round bars being fed to the machine. Ended up with a number one center drill all the way through the soft part of my pointer finger. Had to remove the drill from the lathe, leave it in the finger and take me to ER. The cutting fluid gave me an infection from hell. I moved on to CNC and then just computers. Man needs to keep the parts we come with! No spares avail.
    John

Tags: