Modding Clearcoat after polishing compound?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by okapi, 20 Jan 2008.

1. okapi

okapi What's a zebra?

I'm finishing what I hope will be a high quality durable paint job. I've done two layers of color, wet sanded with 600 grit and put on two more coats of color. I plan to wet sand again and then use polishing compound. Can clearcoat be used on top of this for durability? I don't know if the polishing compound and the clearcoat will like each other.

2. hagatha

hagatha No Guts? No Glory!

Greetings...

600 grit is pretty coarse for a final sanding.... If you clear coat over the 600 finish it will take several coats to get the "gloss" your expecting. 1000-1500 grit is about what you should be using for a final buff... What kind of paint are you using... is it from a rattlecan or automotive grade? Single stage? If it's from a rattlecan a clear coat is not really worth it... If your using a sigle or double stage automotive paint... then a clear coat will really set it off... Thought about adding a pearl?

hagatha

3. okapi

okapi What's a zebra?

I'll be using 1000 and 1500 on the next coats. Maybe 2000 as well if I think it needs it. This is rattlecan only. As far as a clear coat goes, I'm really after durability, then looks. No pearl this time. If this goes well, maybe in the future. Keeping it simple for now.

4. Gumbatron

Gumbatron What's a Dremel?

Definately clear coat before polishing it. I'd probably only go to 800 Grit on the color coat before clear coating. Then go to 1500 or 2000 on the clear before cut & polish. Having said that, I'm not exactly a paint expert. The clear coat will add a great deal of durability to the finish, well worth the effort IMO.

Best of Luck:thumb:

5. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

I agree with what's been said. Clear coat before polish. You can always polish and then wax up the clear coated parts for maximum shine.