NYC Camera shops

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Da_Rude_Baboon, 22 Jan 2008.

1. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I'm going back to New York this year and i'm thinking of picking up a new lens while i'm there. Are there any camera shops you would recommend?

Thanks,

DRB.

2. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

B&H is meant to be really cool to visit - it's massive and has cool stuff. friend of mine got his sigma 70-200mm from there and loved the experience.

3. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I order all of the stuff I've had from B&H and never had a problem, though I've never been there in person.

4. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

B&H is a very cool place to visit, especially if you're a camera geek like me. Know what you're going in there for and be prepared to queue, though.
    Calumet (somewhere in the 20s, I think) is also another good camera shop, although they are more geared towards the pro end of the market.
    Adorama (again, somewhere around the 20s) is a bit like B&H but not as overwhelming and more browseable.

5. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Thanks guys, much appreciated. :thumb:

6. Vers

Vers ...

Check out Adorama, its a few blocks away from B&H and they sell refurbished lenses by canon lenses for a great deal. BTW, they are both closed on Saturdays.

7. tekcajder

tekcajder What's a Dremel?

they also close early on friday afternoons. they detail everything on their websites:

www.bhphotovideo.com

www.adorama.com

8. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

B&H

...even if you dont buy anything, the visit itself is worth it!!! oh, and upstairs they have a 2nd hand section if that is what your looking for. I ended up getting my camera + lens from a smaller shop, as I managed to haggle with the owner...
    f.

9. cosmic

cosmic What's a Dremel?

If you buy from B&H then you can be fairly confident about whether your "grey" imports without international guarantee or the genuine article. Important should things go wrong with your lens. B&H had a stand at a show I went to in London last Friday and they certainly seemed keen to promote their UK presence. Staff had come over from the US store and were very friendly.

10. Gomar

Gomar What's a Dremel?

try J&R as well. You might get good deals at one of those stores on Broadway, going from 59st down to 34st.
    and you might get ripped off. However, any store that has been in business longer than 3 years and has few complaints can be trusted.