News Stephen King defends video games

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 7 Apr 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

He doesn't only writer SF. In fact, very rarely. Try reading Bag of Bones (ghost story), The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon (survival story), The Gunslinger (Western adventure), The Stand (Apocalyptic adventure) or The Dead Zone (Political horror) or It (Plain, pant-cacking horror).

2. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Bwhahahaha, that's great stuff. :hehe:

3. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

The biggest problem with crime in the US (and most countries) is poverty and lack of education. Most of our violent crime is committed by the poor that think they have no real future. It is also the parent(s) responsiblity to teach their children that every action they take leads to real consequences. Better parenting and more money invested in schools is the answer in my opinion. Gun control will in no way prevent the criminals from getting guns if they want them. If people can't purchase the guns legally here, the guns will end up being illegally shipped in just like narcotics.

4. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I think you hit on a lot of the major factors, but there is noe more, subtle one, that is missing.

US society is individualistic in the extreem and if someone is having problems, be they financial, emotional, or whatever, there is a general attitude of "Piss off, don't ask me for anything". This has gotten significantly worse since Columbine to the point where anyone in a school setting who is having problems is not someone in need of help, but rather a potential attacker. Poor people are "potential criminals", people with mental health issues are "some wacko who might go postal", etc etc. The problem is that people tend to act the way they're treated and to fit the stereotype they're forced into.

5. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Yet again, my favorite author. If I do another mod, it will be dedicated to him and his work.

6. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

This guy makes sense to me.. But then again, he always has.. Read a lot of his books when I was a kid.

7. Thacrudd

Thacrudd Where's the any key?!?

good call! I'd like to see that. Use a bloody axe for the carrying handle lol.

8. Zyphron

Zyphron What's a Dremel?

Go commies!!! oh wait.... thought i was in 1960
    how about?......
    Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!'"

on a more serious note, gun control is a touchy issue for alot of americans. we have that thing we call "the Bill of rights" and the right to bear arms just happen to be one of them
    my dad owns weapons, I own a shotgun, and when my gramps bites the big one... ill own ALOT of guns
    some people have alot of guns....................

sadly enough Gun control seems to do nothing but make it harder for the honest, law abiding man/woman to get a weapon.
    yet its still really easy for criminals to get their weapons from the black market.

9. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

everyone should have guns!! even little kids! if one of them goes postal then the other ones can stop him..... or cause a chain reaction that will kill almost everyone and turn some people into murderers...

10. rls669

rls669 i can has dremel?

What a staggering level of ignorance this statement shows. SF doesn't have to mean Star Trek. Go read some Hugo or Nebula Award winning SF and tell me how childish it is.

11. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

Thoroughly agreed, had to bite me tongue when I read the OPs' comment

Tags: Add Tags