Overclocking oc'ing help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by agentx250, 11 Apr 2008.

1. agentx250

agentx250 What's a Dremel?

i kno there r some threads already but i was wandering if anyone had a list of voltages and settings to oc a q6600 to 3ghz. pretty much just a list of wat i need to change im using a evga 680i sli mobo many thnx for the help:)

2. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Please use proper English, people will be much more willing to help you if you do!

The sticky guide is very helpful for most people, especially at the beginning. You may find that you can get up to 3 GHz with no additional voltage but that is something that will entirely depend on your motherboard and processor. Your mileage will vary somewhat even between seemingly identical setups.

The most basic thing to change is the FSB. The processor speed is FSB*multiplier (9 on a Q6600).

3. NZ_mod_man

NZ_mod_man What's a Dremel?

@ Cupboard: Your first line was a bit harsh IMO. I find no problems with agentx250 post, I can read it fine. This is an international forum and most poeple are understanding enough to accept a bit of improper english from time to time.

@ agentx250: Try this. This is the guide that Cupboard metioned. It may help and you should get your head around it if you read through it ALL. I skim read first time round and found it overwhelming. After reading it through I understood it enough to try it a bit myself. I am running an E2160 (bottom of the range duel core native @ 1.8GHz) @ 2.25GHz with stock Intel cooler and stock voltages stable at 38°C@idle and 60°C@load. A bit hot I know but all is stable with no errors after a 6 hour stress test.

Hope this helps. :)

4. agentx250

thanks fro the help guys as for speeling im on aim quite a bit so its due to texting and must force real spelling, sorry. as for the guide it was pretty easy to understand thanks again.

5. agentx250

6. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Sorry, I hadn't meant my post to be rude, I was just trying to suggest that it would be better with normal words!

With that ram, I doubt that you would need to get it up to 1333MHz. With a q6600, you will only need to put the fsb up to 333MHz so anything above 667MHz ram will be fine. The 1066 stuff gives you more headroom, and you may be able to run it at a higher multiplier. So you might be able to run it at 1333MHz with looser timings but I doubt you would need to unless you are really desperate for every last drop of performance. In any event, I think the timings matter more than the speed with the core 2s. There was an article a little while back when they had just come out.

7. agentx250

well what im worried about is that if i dont oc the memory it will bottle neck the rest and since i play bf2142 alot i dont want lag (its a very touchy game and the smallest thing will give me lag) so i figured if i set everything to 1333mhz i wudnt have to worry

8. agentx250

no worries mate, but i was wandering b/c i play bf2142 a lot and for me the smallest thing will give me lag so i figured id set everything to 1333mhz to avoid bottlenecks and wanted to know if the memory cud handle it. oh and i was told by someone on another site that i cant get the q6600 to 1333 is that true and if so why. thnx

9. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

1333 is only a front side bus (fsb) of 333 mhz. The cpu is "quad pumped" meaning that you take the fsb (in this case 333) and x it by 4 to get the "rated fsb" (in this case 1333)
    set the ram to the stock setting of 1066. because the voltage for that is already really high, i wouldn't push it higher. whats the warrenty stop at for that stuff? my ram only goes up to 2.3 volts and after that its a sure bet that it will fry.
    and if you do try to push it farther I bet you will have to raise the timings and loose what performance you gain. not really worth it if you ask me.

Tags: