£2000-£3000 for new pc can anyone give me some advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bobreece, 14 Apr 2008.

1. bobreece

bobreece 49p

2. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Can you not build your own PC? and you want Vista 64, they both have 32-bit Vista and only 2GB of ram each, you want 4GB if your going to spend that much money (or even more than 4GB for 2K+ O_O).

What exactly do you need parts wise, spending 3 grand on a comp is madness lol

3. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

From Vadim, you could go for..:

Case: Cooler Master COSMOS S (No PSU)
    Window: none selected
    Cabling: Standard Cable Management
    Cooling: Antarctic Cooling (3-5 Fans digital controlled+VGA/HD Cooling)
    Airbrushing: none selected
    Fans type: Non-LED fans
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy Modular DXX 1000W PSU
    Motherboard: ASUS P5E (Intel X38 - 1600/1333 FSB)
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Retail (2x3.0GHz 1333FSB 6Mb)
    CPU Cooling: Thermalright Ultra eXtreme 120 Heatpipe Heatsink (All CPU)
    Memory: OCZ DDR2-1000 2x2048MB ReaperX 4GB Dual Channel Kit
    Graphics: BFG Nvidia 9800GX2 1024Mb PCIe2 HDCP
    Hard Drive: 750Gb Samsung SpinPoint F1 HD753LJ 7200 32mb Cache SATA II
    Storage HD: 750Gb Samsung SpinPoint F1 HD753LJ 7200 32mb Cache SATA II
    Optical Drive: SONY-NEC Optiarc AD-7203A 20x DVDRW Black OEM
    Optical Drive 2: SONY-NEC Optiarc AD-7203A 20x DVDRW Black OEM
    Floppy Drive: Heisei 3.5" Floppy Drive with Card Reader Black
    PCI card: none selected
    PCIe Device: none selected
    Sound Card: Creative 7.1 X-FI ExtremeGamer
    Operating System: Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit DVD OEM
    Secondary OS: none selected
    OS Extras: Support CD (Genesis CD)
    Building: Standard Build (5-15 working days)
    Overclocking: Safe Stable Overclocking (5-40% - CPU/VGA)
    Warranty: Deluxe 1 Year Collect and Return-Onsite Warranty (+1 year RTB)
    Free T-Shirt: Vadim Computers Baseball T-Shirt (M)
    Packaging: Heavy-duty packaging (Full Towers - 80x80x40)

For £2,305. That would be a very solid system indeed.

4. Matticus

Matticus ...

I must say, I envy you if you are really going to be spending that much on a PC.

But if I am honest, I think you could get nearly as much performance with a machine thats half the cost.

What sort of monitor have you got, or will be using, because if it isnt huge then 2 graphics cards are sort of pointless.

Have you also though of building it yourself, its much more fun and you realy get to know your way around PCs more.

Maybe you should have a go at building it yourself on scan then posting back all the parts you think and I am sure I and others will offer up advice.

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Matticus is correct... after a certain price range (depending of the year and were you are located), you start to reach a point were you pay A LOT for very little visible difference.

6. Tynen

Tynen What's a Dremel?

I know I speced out a REALLY REALLY nice dual xeon machine on newegg for 1,200 us. That was with no video card. But dual Xeons man, cmon. ;)

7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i'd go with something like:

-Q9450
    -Asus Rampage
    -8GB of RAM
    -8800GTS 512MB or 8800GTX, depends on gameplay resolution. (rest money save up for something like 9900GTX when they comes out)
    -any Lian Li case, especially the new one comming out
    -2 1T Samsung F1 drive in RAID0.
    and those should give you more than enough performance when upgraded to the next generation graphics cards (no 9800 series is not next gen)

8. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

+1 to that.

9. bobreece

bobreece 49p

the links i posted are to systems you config your self i would want 64bit vista and 4gb ram i carnt build my own as i have not got a clue how to do it and dont really want to
    i will be using a 20inch monitor just want to furture proof things as much as i can with what i have to spend, the cash is a refund from dell as i spent £3500 on a gaming laptop but since have changed my mind and want a speced out desktop

10. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

For £3000, you could get a high end Dell M1330 and then a DAMN good PC too.

11. bobreece

bobreece 49p

want a fantastic desktop and aint ever going near dell again there crap

12. _-..zKiLLA..-_

_-..zKiLLA..-_ What's a Dremel?

Bro ur gonna definitely gonna want build it urself, companys these days overprise prebulids WAY to much. once u get the stuff putting it together is not as hard as u think

Go get ur self a simple case (so u can spend more money on the sweet stuff) a quad core intel extreme QX9650 and maybe a ASUS Maximus Extreme then maybe a 9800X2 or a 8600GT (so u can wait till the better ones come out) then get urself a 4gig kit of some Corsair Dominator and so on

Last edited: 15 Apr 2008
  13. bobreece

bobreece 49p

not an option to build my own to be honest to scared to do it just want to stick to a pre built system

14. _-..zKiLLA..-_

_-..zKiLLA..-_ What's a Dremel?

15. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

If you ever put a Nintendo (NES) game inside the console, than building your own computer will be easy, as it's pretty much all you need to do. If it fits, it's good.

The only few things to know is:
    - check out the instructional manual, you usually don't, but as a first build, your motherboard instruction manual will be of great help.
    - Be earthed/grounded/discharged before touching your computer.
    - CPU heat sink is the hardest part you will install on your computer. Depending on the heat sink you will feel that you will bend a tiny bit the motherboard, however do not be afraid, it's design to be a bit flexible.
    - Make sure everything is properly connect and properly inserted in their slots.
    - BIOS configuration of default setting is automatically configured, so no worries there. Just set the time and date... and little things, more like preference, like turn on NumLock on keyboard at boot, disable some things you will never use, etc..
    - Once you assembled all your computer, Now you can attach the power cord and turn on the power switch of the PSU.

If you select good, high-end brands, their product are of high quality and are design for easy build. Desktop, computer are not really fragile.

16. bobreece

bobreece 49p

so far most of you are pushing me for a self build and i wont touch dell or alienware considering there the same company dell owns alienware and both companies for what they charge are s**t
    can someone give me some decent input on the 2 links i first posted please

17. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

Are you paying them to overclock your system? WTF?
    Go 64 bit with at least 4 gig of ram and.
    That is all

18. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

If you'll take a look at the earlier posts by Mankz and wuyanxu, you'll find what you're looking for. £2000 is far, far too much to spend on a computer, because the performance difference between £1000 and £2000 is not nearly as impressive as the price difference might lead you to think. When you say you have a 20" monitor, do you mean a widescreen or a 4:3 screen? A widescreen 20" is fairly low-resolution by today's standards, and because of this you can get away with even less money than you might otherwise.

The systems you linked are far too expensive, and by starting with the more expensive base systems SX3 sells, you're getting a lot of features you'll probably never notice, let alone use. Start with their cheapest system, and configure it up to the spec you want. I just did, and chose the following parts:

Intel Core2 Duo E8400, 2x3.0 GHz (could substitute a Q9450 for £50 more)
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro (better than its price might lead you to think)
    No Overclocking (it's very easy to do, and paying someone £40-80 for it is a huge rip-off)
    512MB 8800GT (just about the best price/performance ratio you can get, and should do wonders if you have a 20" widescreen)
    520 Watt Power Supply (It's actually hard to build a computer that needs more than 520 unless you're being ridiculous)
    4GB DR2 800 RAM (The faster RAM isn't worth it, but 4GB is)
    750GB HDD (you picked this; I assume you know how big you want)
    Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer (Sure, why not?)
    Vista Home Premium 32-bit (64-bit would be better if they offered it. a different base system might allow this, but don't spend too much more)
    Kaspersky (again, you picked it and it's a decent choice)

The total for this system is £950. It'll be plenty fast for a while, and when it's starting to feel outdated technology will have moved on. At that point, another £1000 system will be much, much faster than your original £3000 system, and you'll still have only spent £2000 total. Give it some thought.

19. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Worst comes to worst you could always go down to your local PC repair shop and offer them £100 to put it together for you (pretty decent for a 45 min job and still less than what most ready made companies charge you.).

If you want to go pre-built then go with Vadim because at least you're getting some quality construction for your money (go with watercooling if possible).

20. Shadow_101

Shadow_101 Minimodder

Think the points been missed some-what. Companies like scan offer services like over-clocking, because there are people that would rather pay a premium than take the time to learn how to do it. Which is fair enough!

With the kind of money you’re dropping on this you’re going to get an excellent system no matter where you shop. My advice would leave plenty spare to get your self a top dollar screen like 26/30" or 2x 24" panels. The system Mankz, spec'ed out is ideal imo, I would be temped for more ram, because you can afford it and for the e-peen waving. :)

Edit: Also out of principle try not to buy a creative sound card! (Crippled drivers)