1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Custom Alu Case: The SkullMeister (handbuild)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by The_Resetter, 8 May 2008.

1. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

man that is an awesome pump shroud thing!!

2. Just Jon

Just Jon User title provided by Skimtitles

Too right. Imagination rules.

@ The Resetter: What's the resin like to work with after casting? (Just a bit curious).

3. The_Resetter

The_Resetter I LIKE CAKE!

Well Jon its brittle if you drill or machine it can chip, also it can break easily if you drop it, but you can sand it down real easy soo call it a mix of plexi and bondo kind of material, just make sure that when its set to heat it up again so it cures on the exposed side of the resin as well, I say again as the chemical process of setting generates heat, and heat escapes via the top exposed to the air and that will remain a little sticky, I just use a little face tanner that I also use for making PCB`s

Right the weather sucked the last weekend so other then drawing outlines for cutouts and some minor stuff I dint get a lot done.
    But I did some work on the pumps mounting base, drilled some holes so that the skull wouldn’t be lifted up off the platform to high, the holes are 2mm larger than the circumference of the rubbers so they can flex.
    And I worked the surface to add some irregularity’s and pits.
    [​IMG]

After that mixed some other resin with some red paints, the effect is just what I want, it might look a bit dull but once its lacquered it will be semi transparent again, and with the addition of a yellow / red LED it will light up nicely, but it`s not finished yet, but I need to work some more to make a puddle of blood ;)
    [​IMG]

And to compliment the skull/ blood like theme The Feser Company came trough and set me up with 1/2" and 3/8” hose, and 3 bottles of their Feser One coolant
    [​IMG]

And I managed to cut out the holes for the PSU and the motherboard tray.
    [​IMG]

4. Just Jon

Just Jon User title provided by Skimtitles

Thanks for the info :)

I'm not into skulls and stuff, but this looks promising. I'll stop spamming now, and follow with interest. Hope it all goes well.

5. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Great start, looking good.

6. FrooP

FrooP can I eat this?

hi, did you made the psu hole with a template?`if so, would you may share it, i need one and suck at drawing :(

7. The_Resetter

Nah I just unbolted it from my I-Star Nitro case traced it on the panel and screw the psu plate back in ;)

8. steelkane

steelkane It's Not Just A Box

What a nice project,, I can see this is going to be ,,, One Of A Kind Animal.

9. The_Resetter

Right its been a little while since I updated my work log, but here it is, I made some custom hose clamps to go from a smaller dimensions to a larger one and the other way around, I cut down the lengt of the normal barbs and sanded the edges down to make it smooth again and polished it up to a shine again, and misted on a little clear lacquer to keep it shiny.
    [​IMG]

I also obtained a nice Sony/NEC slim line slot-in dvd/cd rw drive, as I didn’t want a big ass cd-drive in the case
    [​IMG]

I also gave the basic frame a nice coat of black primer with a clear lacquer on top as white would be a little erm… to white ;)
    [​IMG]

For the fans and lights I wanted to do something different, instead of making use of buttons either on the front or the back of the case I wanted to add a little cool factor I remembered I still had an old Velleman kit I solderd a while back,
    [​IMG]
    I mean come on how slick is that remote lights on and off and you fans on 5/12volts with a remote control ;)

Right coolness aside remember I needed another base for that pumpholdingskullbaseplate well I casted another larger circle with some paint inside, but I’m out of epoxy resin and clear casting resin I need some new! :/ I just gotta get some time to go to the shops that sell it :E
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

And last but not least I added a few skeleton based parts to the panel and applied a rough coat of paint, its not finished but the idea is there, if anyone has any other great idea`s please let me know, not to mention I need more skulls and skeletons :p I cant find that shizzle anywhere its not Halloween.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: 16 Jun 2008
  10. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Very nice build so far!

Congrats on the sponsors too! Those Feser connectors sure are nice :thumb:

11. The_Resetter

Just bitching sharp hehe i had to use some force to pry a few open and had an array of small cuts along my hands :p just trough the top layer so no blood :( ;) but no pain to gain.
    Mind you i customised a few, i could have bought ready made adapters but this is way more cooler, if i had a late i might have made them myself but no lathe here :p

Im also pondering about watercooling the harddrives as i have 4 of them i dint want to make a run of the mill rack but do something with them, but the only hdd watercooling i found was around 90 euro :wallbash: wtb copper dude in NL I`ll make it myself.

I`m just having a hard time getting all the materials together, the skulls in particular.

12. The boy 4rm oz

Love the skeleton on the side panel, looks great against the white.

13. The_Resetter

Update, finished the pump base it`s still a little tacky as the curing process isn’t finished yet, but it’s a better effect then I thought all the rough marks did go away as I predicted and I’m left with a nice clean smooth puddle of blood :p so to speak, ill let the pictures do the talking.

First image is with the resin just on, the other 2 is the semi cured finished product.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. The boy 4rm oz

Man that looks great. Nice work there.

15. Macros_the_Black

Macros_the_Black Yup.. I'm a f-ing reptile

Not bad, though I really think you should mix some black into the blood color, to make it look more like blood, especially if you don't want the freshly slaughtered look. IMHO, it would look much cooler and more macabre if the blood was dark (like real blood). B]¨

16. Slatter

Slatter Mesh Addict

awe-f$@&*#g-some...

17. The_Resetter

The flash makes the colors a bit more vibrant, but its not that UV bright as on the picture, i tried to correct it but its the flash :p
    I blame my speedlite.

18. Mino

Mino Ganzerli Mino

Wow, great ideas to hold the pump in place!
    Subscribed!

19. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

Nice design and ideas. Good work!

20. Spyrious

Spyrious Modding all the Time

Impressive.You better fill the loop with blood and call it Bloodcooling.:jawdrop::brrr::D