1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Why 2 different CPU temperatures

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Dunc01, 26 May 2008.

1. Dunc01

Dunc01 What's a Dremel?

I've set up a server for my Cd collection using some cheap parts and want it to run quietly and low power so I can leave it on 24/7 ish. It has a celeron 420 which has so far worked with no problem.
    I'm now trying to make it quiet.
    When I use speedfan it gives 2 readings for the temperature of the CPU - one labeled CPU and one core 0. There is usually a significant temperature difference between the two readings. CPU is around 36 and core 0 is around 50 with a flame symbol when the system is doing very little.
    Does anyone know why the two temps are different and do I need to upgrade the cooling or could I underclock the CPU?
    Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

2. Matticus

Matticus ...

This could be one of two things.

1. Speed fan is going crazy, try coretemp, HWmonitor, realtemp just to check. If these still show large differences then step 2 is your friend.

2. You need to reseat your cpu making sure the thermal paste is applied evenly, or reapply the paste. Give the cooler a nice twist when its on the base just to make sure it spreads out nicely.

You could get a new cooler for the purpose of silence, anything that has a pretty large fan or is passive should do nicely.

3. Dunc01

Dunc01 What's a Dremel?

HW Monitor is reporting the same as speedfan and Real temp is showing lower for the core temp. I'll be trying step 2 tomorrow.

4. Cinnander

Cinnander What's a Dremel?

Just FYI I get the same thing with my C2D and speedfan. I think it's a querk of certain CPU/Mobo/sensor chip combinations.
    Core 0 and 1 are both say 44, and CPU temp is say 49. That kind of difference. The fan is set to spin up at something like 51'c and if I load the CPU a bit, it's core temps that trigger it (the cpu temp is up to say 60 by then). That's what the bios uses so that's what I'm more inclined to believe.

5. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

If I recall correctly, CPU temperature is the package temperature, and Core temps are measured by the thermal diodes on the processor dies.

I'm a bit confuzzled about yours though Cinnander - my CPU temp is always lower than my core temps.

6. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

The CPU is a thermistor somewhere between the cores, the core temps are from diodes as you say and converted by deducting their reading from Tj; Tj seems to be a rather loose number for a given processor, usually taken as 85C for most duals and 105C for quads, but no way is that exact.

My E2180 CPU reads about 3C-5C above core temps.