1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Splitting the Atom: Inside the Eee PC 901

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 17 Jun 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

Gotta love Netbook Pr0nz.

3. evanbraakensiek

evanbraakensiek What's a Dremel?

And still no performance comparisons...! :p

4. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

It's lovely to see what's inside it but we really need to see some performance benchmarks.

5. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

ooo, shiney, but how much is this bad boy going to cost here in the UK, in Black and with Windows on?

Sam

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Performance is hard because most of the stuff we get uses Linux - until I get an Atom board and organise a VIA C7 EPIA too I dont think it will happen. They aren't designed for performance, just ease of use an inexpensive computing.

7. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Yeah, but we're geeks. I'm planning on getting one of these when they're available. Aside from using it for my writing (for which I use Notepad,) I'll try and put DivX videos and NOLF2 on it because... it's just got to be done.

8. evanbraakensiek

evanbraakensiek What's a Dremel?

Yes, but there must be something (no matter how trivial) to discern between the 900 and 901. I want to know whether the new CPU gives a significant performance increase, beyond the new features like upgraded wireless and added bluetooth.

9. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

it's a bit silly i think to ask for performance reviews for something like a notebook. it's like asking for a performance review over your mobile phone. it shouldn't really matter because at the end of the day you're mainly running word, the net, emails and basic stuff like that. however, i do grant that we're all enthusiasts here and have a hard on for figures. so go on, performance results please!

10. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Minimodder

What ? No Atom closeup shots ? I am shocked :p
    Nice dismantling.

11. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Not really, if you buy a mobile phone which responds really badly because its either underpowered or the ui is badly designed you'll want to know about since your going to spend a lot of time with it and there is nothing you can do to change it. Hard numbers probably aren't relevant but some subjective comparisons on how "snappy" or other wise it feels would be good especially between the 901 and the 900.

I'd like a comparison between an atom and an epia but i'm not sure the best way to compare them, but hey that's why they pay you the big bucks bindi :D

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

ROFL.

Uh, yea.

13. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Can you somehow manage to work out what that little button does? It looks intriguing and may be the fabled line-in switch that someone posted about a little while ago.
    edit: I may have to employ you to crawl around on my floor - I have lost a screw from my laptop after taking it apart. It was a bit odd though, I had one spare screw and one spare hole, but they didn't fit into each other :(

14. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

http://www.phoronix-test-suite.com/

15. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i demand neked atom die shots!!!!

16. Solaris

Solaris What's a Dremel?

A review that is both interesting and humorous, great job. :)

17. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

El Reg did a very good review of the Linux Edition EEE 901 including some battery comparison info and relative performance info compared to the EEE 900.

18. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

One of the problems with the original Eee is that it will almost but not quite decode standard-def h.264, which I see as a major use for these things.

The one I played with - and we played long and hard to get it to work (well, linux...) - will now more or less decode standard def 264 using mplayer with all the "faster and coarser" options turned on, so long as it's been encoded in the right way and there isn't too much motion in the scene.

P

19. B3CK

B3CK Minimodder

Spare button, hmm, on some other models, it is used for a couple of things. I work at a Pc & laptop repair shop. I have seen many laptops guts, and often do find hidden buttons on them. They do different things on different Mfgr, models. A couple of them I have found are to clear bios passwords. A couple of them work like cmos jumpers in button format. And one or two that I have found don't do anything at all. I assume they are part of some type mfgr testing. I have even removed one from one laptop mobo to replace a power button for one of our clients.

20. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

sooo many modding possibilities...

Tags: Add Tags