New build, components and general questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mm vr, 6 Jul 2008.

1. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

well, having a cheap £8 mouse vs my friend's G5, i can say it helps a LOT in all FPS games.

go for 2x WD 640GB if you want performance but don't need 2T of space. that should save you some.
    you can also try P5Q-e, it's got most of Deluxe's features anyway.

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Once you get used to the new button on the mouse, navigating your folder and web browser is way better then mouse gestures or actually clicking on the button.
    The extra button is more for business work than gaming, however in some games it could comes quiet in handy, like switch weapon...
    Their is a big difference between Optical and Laser... however their is no visible difference between 800dpi and 2000dpi. The main advantage of the laser mouse is that it works on more surfaces, and works better then Optical.. in smooth surfaces your laser mouse will never jump on you. The main upside of the MX revolution is the comfort it provides (shape and weight) and you never need to lift your mouse from your desk.

Speakers setups depends on you, your sound card and on your environment your in (type of wall, furniture in room and if you are in corners or not), the music style you listen and the equalizer settings you set (if you use that (many people (from experience) fail to re-adjust their settings).
    From my view, with my X-Fi, the Logitech Z-4 speakers are great for classic, jazz, experimental jazz (and all those different type of jazz styles), gaming, most pop music, and rock/metal. I haven't tried all the types of music in the world but I know if you listen to hyper heavy base and you want to create earth quakes (aka: you don't appreciate music, and believe that the music gets better if played more loudly) then they are not for you.

3. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

I'll take a look at those 640GB WD's. Also the P5Q-E, it's about 110€.
    edit: I'm not sure if 1280GB will be enough for me... Well if I ever run outta space I'll just buy a new HD.
    I actually see no difference between the P5Q Deluxe and E. What are the differences? Does the E model have that cool mini OS in the BIOS? :p

Yes, also from my experience laser is a lot better than optical. But I think I'll stay with the MX620 even though it doesn't have as many buttons as the MX Revolution.

I listen to metal and rock usually. I don't like loud music, but bass is pretty important. Not too much but not too little either. I guess any decent speakers with a subwoofer are good for me.

And again, anything is better than my current sound setup. I've got a small 2.0 set (the speakers are the wrong way, like left is on the right and vice versa) which came bundled with this computer. They are some no-brand ones rebranded to Fujitsu-Siemens. Also I'm using the onboard sound on my Asus A7V600-F and I think my PSU's rails aren't too stable (much ripple) so I get a buzzing noise when I turn the volume up.

Last edited: 8 Jul 2008
  4. sjhujh

sjhujh Minimodder

I mostly listen to Rock, Metal, D'n'B and some other electronic styles where bass is important but it still needs to be well controlled and executed properly for it to work. The Z-2300 haven't dissapointed with this. I bought them as most of the reviews said that they provided deep rich bass that didn't overpower at any volume setting. This I have found to be true, as even when the volume is low the bass still sounds rich and vibrant, I found with the Z3's (I think those where the ones my mae had) which came before the Z4's (obviously) the quality of the bass was really inconsistant.

Plus as I understand it the Xonar sound cards produce amazing sound so I'd pair them with something a little more premium, but then premiun costs, the Z-2300 are about 90 pounds in england where as teh Z4e's are about 55 pounds.

5. mm vr

The Z-2300's seem good and valuable, but they'd further add to the price over the Z-4's :(

I'm not too much of and audiophile and as said basically anything is better than my current setup so I think I'll just stay with the cheaper choice now :)

And also, what is the difference between the P5Q Deluxe and E? There should obviously be a big difference as there is a notable price change (170€-140€).
    Update: The only differences I noticed when I looked at Asus' pruduct pages were that the Deluxe has a 16-phase power regulation while the E has only 8 phases. Also there is no heatpipe between the SB and the NB on the E as there is on the Deluxe. If these are the only differences I sure am going to get the E model!

Last edited: 8 Jul 2008
  6. PapaBearNZ

PapaBearNZ What's a Dremel?

I use an MX1000 Logitech laser mouse that I am very happy with. I prefer a wireless mouse since I used to get annoyed with the cord catching at inopportune times. I particularly like the fact that the MX1000 charges itself by just putting it into the receiver cradle. I used to get annoyed with replacing batteries all the time. It also lasts a goodly time on a single charge. I usually don't need to take the charger brick along to LANs as long as I charge the mouse fully the night beforehand.

I don't know if the MX1000 is still available though. I think it's been superceded - at least in Kiwiland it has anyway.

PB

7. mm vr

"Logitech MX1000 - world's first cordless mouse!" (Verkkokauppa.com)

Huh?

Anyway, I prefer the look of MX620 so I'll stay with it.

So, I've specced up all the parts now (again), I've even included the total price at a few stores. Does it look good?

Code:
    Type		Product				Price
    ------------------------------------------------------

HID Devices:
    Screen		Samsung SyncMaster 226BW	299€
    Keyboard	Logitech G15			79€
    Mouse		Logitech MX620			48€
    Speakers	Logitech Z-4			68€

Components:
    Motherboard	Asus P5Q-E			139€
    CPU		Intel Core 2 Duo Q9450		291€
    CPU Cooler	Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme	65€
    CPU Fan		Noctua NF-P12			20€
    Graphics	ATI Radeon 4870			236€
    RAM		2x Corsair XMS2 DHX TwinX	2x 101€ = 202€
    		DDR2 800MHz 4-4-4-12 2x2GB
    PSU		Corsair HX620			134€
    Case		Antec P182			149€
    HDD's		2x Western Digital Caviar 640GB	2x 73€ = 146€
    ODD		Samsung SH-S223F		29€

Software:
    OS		Windows Vista Home Premium	199€
    		Retail 32-bit Finnish with SP1

TOTAL PRICE AT VERKOKAUPPA:	2109,30€
    TOTAL PRICE AT JIMM's PC STORE:	2171,10€
    TOTAL PRICE AT NEWEGG:		$2597,90 = 1653,13€

I just wish I lived in the USA... I could easily save 500€ on this :(

It goes a bit out of budget, but I think I can stretch that amount.

Also, has anyone ordered the 64-bit disc from MS? Is it worth the hassle and waiting time over just downloading it? I guess it is as self-burnt discs are always lower quality than factory-made discs.

8. wyx087

good system. can't spot a fault with it.

i've never bought anything from MS directly, i burnt Vista's disk using the e-academy download. it's perfectly fine.

9. mm vr

OK thanks.

However, how should I order all this? I mean, it's a huge pile of stuff. I can't go and bring it from the shop because it's not possible to carry all the stuff down stairs and elevators. If I mail order it, is it safe? I've never mail-ordered anything. Also how do they bring it to me? When the delivery van comes, are the boxes loose and scattered all over the car or what?

10. wyx087

not sure about Finland, expect them to be the same.

in UK, i've ordered from OCuk, Scan and MicroDirect. all of them puts the small stuff inside a bigger box, eg. CPU+mobo inside a bigger box. and monitor came in its own box.

11. p3ri0d

p3ri0d What's a Dremel?

Not wanting to hijack that thread but what PCI-e does the Asus Xonar needs? x16? x4? x1? Thanks.

Now, back on subject, i think that's a pretty nice but expensive build oO.

About Vista, don't you know a friend that has it? Would save ~200E ;). That's what i do :p

Last edited: 10 Jul 2008
  12. mm vr

OK thanks, I'm safe to order now when I know they're not scattered everywhere :p

I think the Xonar uses PCI-E x1.

What? Should I use someone eles's Vista copy? Umm, I thought it wouldn't pass WGA checks. Also wouldn't that be illegal? And BTW I only have one friend that has Vista at all and he has 32-bit OEM.

So prolly gonna get my own copy.

ALSO:

HOW CAN I ALWAYS FORGET IT? :miffed: This adds even more to the over-budget :sigh: I'm not sure how far I can stretch anymore. Is the additional 100€ really worth it for a good monitor over a cheaper one?

13. wyx087

LG L226WTQ is cheaper than Samsung 226BW. have a look.

you can also go cheaper on RAM, go for the plain XMS one, the one without spiky heatsink. they overclocks very well.

14. mm vr

Cool, thanks. The L226WTQ seems to be around 230€ which is great. It even has a faster response time and better pixel warranty (Samsung has a minimum of 10 stuck pixels while LG has 4).

Unfortunately I don't see any Corsair XMS 2x2GB modules for sale here. BTW the ones I'm getting have dropped 4€ on price and are now actually cheaper than the 5-5-5-18 ones.

Monitor changed.

15. sjhujh

sjhujh Minimodder

why 32-bit for the opperating system? you won't be able to use your 8 gigs of ram? Only 3.5 of it? the price difference between 32-bit and 64 bit won;t to high and the driver support for the 64 bit version is just as good...

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

8GB of memory!! That's crazy, are you sure? A 64-bit OS is a necessity then.

Also you can buy OEM Vista for a fraction of that cost.

17. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

I would go for OEM Vista as well. You can get several copies of that for a cheaper price than buying one retail copy. In other words, unless you upgrade your PC every half year, there is not really much point in going retail.

I am questioning your choice of processor. If you are not going to be doing much overclocking, that is LESS reason to get the Q9450. It costs a huge lot more, and, considering that the Q6600 will clock further a bit easier, you should really be going with that instead. As for big overclocks, again, the Q6600 is the choice. Going with the slightly newer processor isn't going to get you much boost.

18. p3ri0d

p3ri0d What's a Dremel?

Well, the question is: Are you sure you need Vista?

Because they are plenty of Linux Distros out there that would love to be downloaded for free and legally ^^.
    YOu need Aero? Check youtube and you'll see the 3D effects on linux :D. When done right it looks like a souped up Vista Aero with Leopard Proteines haha

But if it's for gaming then forget it, at least atm. Not enough games (Yes i know about WINE...)

19. wyx087

what's pixel warranty? if dead pixel develops, i can get them to come to my door because it's deemed as faulty?
    all i know is that LG offers 3 year on-site warrenty in Europe, never knew there are such thing as pixel warrenty.

and with OEM Vista 64bit, you should be within your budget

20. Arkuden

Arkuden mow?

Ive got an L227WT and it is worth every penny. I still drool when looking at it and so does anyone else who comes over. Just my $.02