Gaming Top 10 Computer Game NPCs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Hiren, 18 Jul 2008.

1. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

Jordan... You are so wise.

2. pimlicosound

pimlicosound What's a Dremel?

From the 2nd paragraph in the article:

"The only rules we imposed on ourselves are that entrants cannot be the main playable character of a game".

3. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

I completely agree with this. And I don't really like alyx, gman is way cooler! The best NPC ever though HAS to be GLADOS. How was she left out?!? (I spose cause she falls under the HL universe and alyx took her spot?)

4. Romirez

Romirez What's a Dremel?

lol, was thinking both WoW and broken sword needed some representation. Nico for being the typical sidekick who gets caught, the beginning of broken sword 2 is brilliant.

Kane should be number 2, but alyx definately for number 1, love the part in episode 1 (i think it is?) where you go down into some building without any lights, and if you turn off your flashlight you hear some noises like the zombie guys, turn it back on and she starts laughing and says 'got ya' XD

5. Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove What's a Dremel?

Hmm nice list wish I could say that I knew half of them but I can't :(

Anyway I agree that Kane should higher up on the list..

Also although i never finished the game, what about that spooky girl that keeps popping up in F.E.A.R ?

6. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Dugg for horned reaper.

I mean... wait, wrong website. But still, those things are pure awesome (though like all characters in DK, they're only semi-NPCs)

7. pimlicosound

Good call! Alma was terrific. It was sickening as the truth about her was revealed (Wade being her father and all, and still subjecting her to the tests). Marvellous storytelling there, and one of the most genuinely creepy villains in a videogame, if you can really call her a villain.

8. pimlicosound

If the topic were open to console video games, Roman from GTA4 would definitely have to be a part of this list. Like Alyx, he's one of the most real and well-rounded characters in a game. The dialogue and characterisation made GTA4 one of the most powerful gaming experiences of my life.

9. Mo_

Mo_ Did this world come by chance?

Here too!! Number 2 though!

10. Diosjenin

Diosjenin Thinker, Tweaker, Et Cetera

Man, I've never even played any C&C games (shame on me, I know), and even I know who Kane is. There was an expansion pack titled - as in pasted in big letters across the front of the box - "Kane's Wrath." If you were anywhere near a retail game section during the year-ish it was on shelves you'd at least recognize the name...

Anyway, nice list, I think, with a couple exceptions...

1) You put in SHODAN and left out GLaDOS? Really?

2) I've heard a lot of people mention HK-47, and now that I think of it he *really* should be on this list, but he's not even the biggest omission to me. Why is Kreia (KOTOR II) not in here? The best written NPC in any RPG ever and it doesn't make this list? Okay, the game doesn't have an ending and Kreia's the NPC who drew the shortest straw over it, but that's really not Obsidian's fault. If you find the time, read through the KOTOR II walkthrough at http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2472531 - the analysis of her role in events, her motivations, her character itself (and the cut content) is quite thorough. Leaving her out is somewhat disappointing.

Other than that, though, nice work. It certainly is good to see someone else try and appreciate the other characters in a game - especially since they're there because *the player isn't supposed to be the only influence on the world.* Excellent top choice, too. ;)

- Diosjenin -

11. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Go on admit it, you put her at no 1 because you all fancy her dont you........

12. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

This is very much a bit-tech's favourite NPCs list, that's obvious enough, but it's still an amusing read. I undertand why you left out Glados. Had you put her in, people would have complained you left out Shodan, but putting both in would have been too much, so upon reflection I think shodan was the way to go.

+1 for Horny as well.

13. FaIIen

FaIIen origami killer

Murrey > All

14. Cadillac Ferd

Cadillac Ferd What's a Dremel?

I definitely expected GlaDOS up there. Some great games represented on that list Joe, I'm glad to see that you managed to tie Monkey Island again in to your article.

15. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

stalker rape ROFL!!!!!!!!!

16. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Believe it or not, I *really* didn't want to put anything Monkey Island on the list.

17. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Yeah, we believe that.

18. Cavedweller

Cavedweller What's a Dremel?

I find one VERY big miss on the list.

Glottis from Grim Fandango. By far the most memorable NPC i've ever encountered. I almost fell off my chair when i fist came to the screen out from a shed 3 sizes too small for him 8D

19. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

Good call!!

20. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I wouldn't have put Alyx at the top myself, I think there were many in the top 10 that I thought were better characters.

Tags: Add Tags