Thermaltake Spedo Chassis? Yay or Nay for review?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guest-16, 7 Aug 2008.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/0...spedo-chassis-online-sneak-preview-released/1

I've been offered one of these for review and quite frankly we're very interested in look at it given the new internal designs and effort TT has gone into it. Style is subjective after all. However, we're aware that some of you don't give two shakes of a tail just because it's a TT case - so we're wondering what the demand for a review will be and whether it's worth our time even getting one in. We don't want to just review cases that look like black fridges :)p) because that would be boring.

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I was thinking to myself "Yeah, why not, be nice for a change of pace"

And then the video showed the HORRENDOUS 23cm side fan which looks like someone found a spare piece of alu and just stuck it on the side.

Also, if you do it, you need to wear Speedos for the interview (pics not required, videos are)

3. McFlyinCA

McFlyinCA What's a Dremel?

I say yay and then give it to me when you are done ;)

I for one like the case and am thinking about getting one. It's either this or the Akasa Infinity ZOR.

4. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

Do it. Do the review, in speedos. I'm sure you'll win some kind of award.

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I think that's a gross overstatement. I really like the innovation and features included in this, although I do feel TT could concentrate more on the quality of material aspect and make different designs according to different markets like CoolerMaster.

6. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Well, it isn't a Lian Li, but I'm feeling extraordinarily generous today... so you may go ahead. :)

(Hint: review the Lian Li PC-A20 ASAP please! :))

7. Sleepy_Sentry

Sleepy_Sentry What's a Dremel?

It looks like Thermaltake wanted to name something after a swimsuit but took an "e" out.

8. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

There's certainly a lot of 'Features' - I do like the HDD cable system - almost like a proper backplane.

The movable fan's quite innovative, too.

I would say however, that depending on how all these exta bits perform, they'll have to price it quite competitively - I have the Coolermaster CM690, which can be had for under £50, which has all the tool-free wotsits and spaces for fans that I'll need; I do wonder how those 23cm fans perform with regards to cooling and noise, though

I say DO IT!

9. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Do it, dislike it, and give us the chance of letting TT know we hate it...

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

They already know. We had a big "sit down" at Computex to talk it out. Tbh, it's no one's fault it's just a style choice - the US and Germany love this kind of case (they sell a lot there) but the UK and Nordics (and Romania it seems) love the sleek and high quality feel.

Ironic since the Nordics invented Ikea and we all shop there.

11. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

That's not Ironic, that's co-incidence (since we have the same taste)

Ironic would be

Ironic, since the Americans invented catalogue shopping, and we use Argos

12. Red 5

Red 5 What's a Dremel?

Hmm. Well the video puts me off, what with the nonsense about the design concept and the spelling mistakes included in an official presentation, however, if you really like some of the new ideas then you should give it a whirl. At the very least you can see what the features are like individually.

13. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

i say review it, if it sucks as much as i think it will then kick the c**p outta it then send it back :p

14. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

Cheesiest video ever :lol:

whilst Thermaltake have made some heroicly ugly cases, that one isn't too bad and looks interesting

Still my favourite one they've made is this one i'm using at the moment.
    Quite basic, but looks nice and very lightweight: managed to squish a raid 5 array, a 2900XT and a watercooling kit in it as well :p

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

No, I meant in the sense that it's cheap, easily put together yet falls apart after two minutes. However we demand our cases to be quite expensive, made of the best materials and look classy.

The theme I'm getting here is "No, don't like it, but review it because we want to take the piss?"

:p

16. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Kill it. Kill it with fire :)

I vote for a review. Like you say, style is subjective. Never know, might be an awesome case.

Just be careful with typos. Losing an s could limit the cases appeal somewhat :D

17. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I say go for it - it's always nice to see a different kind of case, and I'm sure some of the readers would be quite interested in what it's like, even if some people think it's hideous.

Besides, they've tried hard on the innovation front. Worth a look if only for that. :)

18. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

The side panels look ugly in my opinion. The drive bay covers are alright looking, i do like how they made the cage come out of the side instead of the front, and theres actually cable routing unlike on my TT armor. The shielding part for covering sections is different, and it helps to hide stuff in the bottom, but does it work? I think they are trying to hard to make things functional that they overthink the actual design and a lot of it flunks on them personally. Good attempt, better luck next time.

19. EPiRATE

EPiRATE Sailing teh Interwebz

Yes to the review!
    I think it looks brilliant, and i can't wait to see how well it cools
    I hope there's space to put a radiator in there somewhere.

Last edited: 8 Aug 2008
  20. NaNeil

NaNeil What's a Dremel?

I'd like to see it, how will they ever shake the reputation if their new stuff doesn't get reviewed :)