TV Shows Stargate Universe - Green lighted

Discussion in 'General' started by Woodstock, 23 Aug 2008.

1. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

Well as the thread title says, after the cancellation of stargate atlantis, another stargate series has been green lighted by the SciFi channel. Starting with a TV movie in January followed by the usual weekly episodes. Well thats the highly summarized article i just read on the net. do you guys have, high hopes or are you over stargate, or do you live under a rock and have never heard of stargate. Personally im in the high hopes group

2. Clocked

Clocked Yar! It be drivin' me nuts...

I also am in the high hopes group, from what I've heard i think it should do ok, but it all depends who they take across from the other shows (I'm hoping its McKay)

Article I read...

3. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

done a little more digging around, and it appears its primarly new cast, undecided if there minor charactors from previous shows (think mc kay minor in SG1 to major in SGA), thou having a quick look at that article its more the actor then the charactor there talking about, hmmmm January seems too long away

edit: who wants to bet that a bunch of people from battlestar galactica, end up with roles (not that i would complain about that)

Last edited: 23 Aug 2008
  4. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

It looks terrible tbh
    Stargate: Universe? more like Stargate: Voyager

Things that were good about Stargate:
    People running around with current tech kicking overconfident alien arse

Things that were bad about Stargate:
    Suddenly developing super duper spaceships capable of travelling to other galaxies with impenetrable alien shields and badass alien weapons

Guess which of these things Stargate Universe has....

5. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

I'd complain, they should be making more BSG!

6. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

i do agree with you, about making more BSG, but thinking about it the proposed initial story (or at least the one floating around the net) is similar to BSG - just the starting point really differs

@Hamish

It was inevitable that the stargate program would have to bring back technlogy or the threat that it would have been closed down, from the early seasons (started with 1 iirc) would have well um closed them down

7. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Do not make more BSG and do not make more Stargate. Let it die.

8. Kierax

Kierax What's a Dremel?

How could you suggest such a thing.

Make MOAR!

9. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

Or better yet, don't cancel Atlantis?:p

10. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

As much as I hate to say it, Atlantis should end.
    Think about it, whats the biggest problem they constatnly have? power. Why does it not say in the database how to make zpm's? or did they cover that in an episode and I missed it?
    zpm's + more ships = no more wraith. They can make ships at earth where the wraith cant get, and with zpm's powering earth the ship production would increase by a large factor.
    I know my little theory there has some holes in it, but really with access to the tech that they have and the production ability of earth defeating the wraith and becoming the dominant power in the galaxy should not be a problem.

Anyway, despite that I dont want to see the show end either. and I agree with the stargate: voyager comment. But one of the things I liked about early SG1 was just exploring new planets. and I think that this new show has a lot of potential for that.

11. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I'm still getting over the loss of Kurt Russell :)

12. Clocked

Clocked Yar! It be drivin' me nuts...

I lolled at that! And considering I watched soldier the other night it's even funnier...

13. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

I enjoyed SG1 because of the low tech to high tech war thing, strategy winning out and whatnot. Saying that I thought SGA was very good in the way they now had the technology but not the ability to utilise it very well.

I dont know what to think about this, but im sure it will be very good. The 2 previous stargates have been excellent (why they're cancelling atlantis is baffling!) so i have high hopes.

14. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Simple answer - to reset the payroll budget.
    The existing actors are big stars now, with big paychecks, so fire them and hire some unknowns who'll work for (relative) peanuts.

15. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Stargate Universe starts on Tuesday (6th Oct) night on Sky1 & HD. 2 episodes, at 20:00 & 21:00

After seeing some of the clips advertising it on Sky, I'm going to give it a go - even though I've never really watched a lot of Stargate (A few episodes here and there. I missed a lot of the arcs and mythology, so never really got hooked)

http://sky1.sky.com/stargate-universe-robert-carlyle-video-interview

16. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

I'm gonna give it a watch, My interst in SG fizzeled out about series 5/6, when Daniel "died" again, it picked up briefly with atlantis but the lack of Macgyver, failed to win me over. and this series sound a bit like Stargate: Blake's 7 edition.

17. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

From the sound of it they've taken some cues from Battlestar Galactica and are going for a more gritty approach, should be good if they pull it off.

18. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Actually, I was thinking "Stargate: Voyager"

19. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Starts on SyFy TONIGHT 2 Oct.

I promise NO spoilers.

When pigs fly!

20. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

13 minutesinto the show and here there be old faces and old tie ins.

Tags: