Apple The "I got a mac, and I don't know how to do things" thread.

Discussion in 'Software' started by will., 30 Oct 2008.

1. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

It's gotten a bit better, but still doesn't compare to textmate.

NAS: no issues, so long as it supports either Samba or AFP shares (and it does)

Fully quitting: Cmd+Q. Cmd+, is preferences for every app on the Mac as well (EXCEPT Photoshop, which due to being older than Zeus overrides most of the normal keyboard shortcuts) which is super-handy. Cmd+W closes the frontmost window/tab, and Cmd+T is usually either a new tab or text properties. Cmd+L is also quite handy in browsers. Most common Windows Ctrl+ shortcuts are just swapped with Cmd+ (X,C,V,A,S,F to name a few). Can't recommend using Exposé enough, and Spaces is also very handy despite having some lingering quirks.

2. Dizman

Dizman What's a Dremel?

+1 for textmate or coda. Both are great, coda's not quite as full featured as a text editor but they did just release something similar to textmate's bundles the other day. It really depends on if you like one app for everything, or a separate text editor, ftp client, and css editor.

I read "enough" as "though" and was very confused.

3. m0o0oeh

m0o0oeh Minimodder

Can I hijack the thread a mo? I got a g4 mac tower with an agp graphics card, its got a vga port and what looks to be a DVI port, but it isn't cause the port on the card is too long.

What port would it be?

Problem solved - ADC port

4. bubsterboo

bubsterboo What's a Dremel?

m0o0oeh: Yeah, ADC is DVI but with 24v Power and USB. So you could hook up apple monitors with one cable and no power chord.

You can get ADC to DVI adapters if you need them.

Tags: