News Study finds video games increase heart rate

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 17 Nov 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

First time i came across a witch (and subsequently pissed her off) my heart rate went up, a LOT. How ever my nerves recovered after a few hours of my little pony.

3. 1ad7

1ad7 What's a Dremel?

maybe I need my heart rate elevated at night just encase a tank attacks me. gotta be ready!!!! cant wait till the 18th and people please leave video games alone they arnt destroying the world.

4. OnyxLilninja

OnyxLilninja What's a Dremel?

I certainly find it hard to sleep for an hour or two after playing any 'fast' games, such as FPS's. I don't think it's do with the violence, just the amount of concentration and swift reaction needed to perform well. For example the driving game Trackmania Forever will get my heart going and palms sweaty, with no violence at all. I certainly wouldn't be able to sleep straight after a game.

5. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

I've lost sleep from playing soul caliber 3. had nothing to do one day, so played the game for a good 6 hours, and swore my head off rather loudly the whole time. I got about 2 hours sleep that night as I was stuck in a many hour long Hypnagogic hallucination where my covers/pillows on my bed turned into characters off the game as if I was still fighting them (my mattress turned into a rather large PS2).
    I had the same problem a few nights in a row, though of less magnitude, despite my playing the game again for a couple hours each day. I'm sure I've had this happen with other games , though diablo 2 is the only other that comes to mind - looking down at myself in an isometric dungeon like the flayers dungeon in act 3, though I couldn't move. that was a pain in the ass.
    I've since stopped playing such engaging games before bed or for such long extended periods of time

6. Sebbo

Sebbo What's a Dremel?

hasn't been alot of lost sleep, but i've gotten some weird dreams from playing certain games before going to bed... most notable for weirdness are tetris and guitar hero. of course, i've had the fallout 3, gears of war et al induced dreams too

7. sam.g.taylor

sam.g.taylor Apparently I'm Greg Kinnear

I got Fallout 3 on Friday, played it all weekend (Wakoopa says for almost 18 hours... http://wakoopa.com/samtaylor) and it's really gotten to my head.

Anyway, last night I had a really weird dream about going shopping for groceries (real-life, not in game), then while having a conversation with the cashier, I choose the wrong conversation option and she, along with all the bag boys, turn red in my radar and start attacking me. I should have remembered that Florida now allows automatic weapons...

I threw one grenade and then - I kid you not - everything froze, the scene "crashed", and I woke up. CTR (crash to reality) I suppose.

8. FeRaL

FeRaL What's a Dremel?

I wonder if they did an blood tests... They probably would have found an increased amount of adrenalin in the one who played the "violent" games. That would probably be the cause of the increased sleeping heart rate.

9. Jaguar_Infinity

Jaguar_Infinity Just some guy

I've experianced loss of sleep associated with gaming once. I had been playing one of the LOTR RTS games attacking the mordor walls. That night i had a huge migrain attack and kept hallucinating that i was still in the game playing beleiving that the walls of mordor were the source of the migrain. I think the extreme pain from yet annother migrain attack had alot to do with the lack of sleep and the hallucinations than the gaming though....

10. Project_Nightmare

Project_Nightmare What's a Dremel?

What a stupid test! They make it seem like its has bad effects on the person. Give me a break, things like caffine, school tests, violence, exercise, sex, ect. increase heart rate so this test is just stating the obvious. Stupid people wasting everyone's time:wallbash:

11. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I've lost plenty of sleep after gaming. Stalker was the worst, but HL@ and the episodes have claimed more than a few nights too. Part of the reason I don't game much anymore :worried:

12. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

At one point a few years ago, I'd be playing CSS for nearly eight hours a day. I'd wake up at around 1/2pm, have lunchfast, game till 6, have a cup of tea, game till 9pm, have dinner, game till 3/4am, and do the same again.

13. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Speaking of weird dreams, from playng either Fear, or Far cry, i cant remember, I dreamnt I took a chain saw/drill to someones head :/