Storage Weird Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB (bare drive?)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DorkSterr, 7 Dec 2008.

1. DorkSterr

DorkSterr Hakuna Matata

Hey guys I'm about to buy a new 1.5TB HDD from Newegg.ca but my concern is that Newegg put in brackets "Bare Drive" and I see no other HDD that have this, what does this mean?

Thank you.

2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

It means that there's no box, manual or other packaging - just the drive. Most hdds you buy will be like this unless they explicitly state "retail"

3. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

I would guess that it is their notation for an OEM drive. ( no cables/accessories)

4. DorkSterr

DorkSterr Hakuna Matata

5. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

There's no box to start with. Its a drive in a anti-static bag, that's it. Most drives are sold this way.

6. DorkSterr

DorkSterr Hakuna Matata

Thank you for your help Mister, I'll give it a try.

7. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

FYI, the 1.5TB Seagates have been having some reliability issues. They come with a 5-year warranty (at least they do in the states), but I'd be weary about using them as a primary storage drive, especially in a RAID config.

But yeah, bare drive just means OEM.

8. DorkSterr

DorkSterr Hakuna Matata

Is this why the 1.5 TB Seagate is so cheap? compared to the 1TB Seagates their all almost $200. Does Western Digital have this problem too?

9. mobius9

mobius9 Minimodder

Seagate is currently the only company that makes a retail 1.5 TB platter drive. I know Quantum makes a 1.5TB tape drive, I'm not aware of any other companies doing this size. I'm not sure if Firehed is talking about the notorious freezing issue. Seagate issued a firmware update for their drives which supposedly fixed this.

I personally own 2 of the 1.5 TB and also a 1TB from seagate. No problems so far, they're not my primary drives and I have not installed the firmware update yet so I can't comment on it.

To expand on the "bare drives," system builders typically order their drives this way. They will come in a box of between 10 and 20, in anti-static bags and separated by ESD safe styrofoam. Companies sometimes order drives like this and re-sell them, because it is cheaper to not include the retail packaging. In terms of reliability, the company I work for is currently installing about 650 velociraptors that were received this way. So... it's not unreliable by any means.

10. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

holy crap :eeek:

11. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

indeed, must be some large performance hungry company.

anyone know the plater size for those seagate 1.5TB drives? i considered it when upgrading from WD 500GB, but in the end, bought the fastest 1TB drive on the market, WD Black 1TB (OCuk was doing an offer)