Planning Best way to make a frame for a case?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by stuartwood89, 4 Dec 2008.

1. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

I don't quite understand that image, what's with all the weird curved shapes?

2. Hawaii

Hawaii passerby

Unfortunately I don't have the in-practice experience, but I think using swivel fitting and put it's axis close to the hinge's axis would avoid stress on the tube's material.

The <PCI Express Card Electromechanical Specification> contains all the drawings You need (from page 67). On the other hand You also have the possibility to download an existing 3D model from The Sketchup Component Collection and measure the size You need.

I guess they are cutouts on the motherboard tray for design purpose.

Last edited: 10 Dec 2008
  3. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

Thankyou, Hawaii! I've been looking for a PDF like that for a while but usually it's been behind a password. This will help me a great deal.

And those curves are indeed cutouts for an upcoming motherboard tray. This is not the final version because the design is a bit boring. :(

4. Macros_the_Black

Macros_the_Black Yup.. I'm a f-ing reptile

I'm almost certain I've seen aluminum profiles like that before, so I did some quick and dirty google image searches... hehe, not _that_ kind of image search!:blush: ...("aluminium profile showcase" / "aluminium store fixtures") and I _almost_ found it... not quite, but similar:

[edit]
    NOTE: I'm not sure if it's possible to order profiles from any of these sites below, but I thought they might give you some ideas on what to google on. Portable alu cases might also use similar profiles, so that might also be a valid search option. (?)
    [/edit]

No.1
    [​IMG]
    (click to go to web page)
    (There are a bunch of other sites in different parts of the world selling the same product line of showcases, so it's not only available in Canada.)

No.2
    [​IMG]

No.3
    [​IMG]

I hope this helps a little.
    Nice and simple design on those profiles (2nd version) btw, I like it! My only gripe is the visible screw heads, but you could just call it a design feature and leave it as is. :thumb: Another possibility would be to drill the holes in the profiles from the "inside" and not all the way through, this would stealth the screws. :clap:

Will be keeping an eye on this thread to see what you/others come up with. I wish you the best of luck!!

Last edited: 20 Dec 2008
    ModMinded likes this.